is new buck pro the same piece of junk as it was all previous years?

I don't have the pro but I do have a Select and Avid models. Buck had to get a working Avid to me, I had tried 2 with similar problems you had with your pro. But they have amazing customer service, and I was taken care of. The Vantage models don't have much "gusto" in the flipper, usually they are anemic.

My advice however, if you have the money to move to the Marksman for about 25 more dollars, do it. You won't have a worry about any of the problems you had in the past with the pro Vantage and the flipper flies out with authority.

I bought one of the original models when they were first introduced. Other than the blade being a little off center, the knife was fine. I carried it for a couple of years and it performed extremely well. The S30V knives I had owned prior to this one were a little brittle but the Buck's S30V was excellent. I had to cut some copper and aluminum wiring with it one time and I was sure it would mess up the edge but it didn't damage it at all--Buck did that steel well. As for the flipper, I never used it because I don't like flippers. I tightened the pivot a bit and just opened it with my thumb as I've always done. Lockup was solid also. Maybe your expectations were too high or maybe your knife was below average from the factory. Buck has a great warranty--you should have tried using it. The knife is not a piece of junk at all for some of us.

20151031_080033_zpsxs2zcdv1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20151031_080052_zpsekx4fjin.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have the mini Vantage Pro and it's a bit underwhelming, flipper doesn't flip all the way, the G10 scales were kind of rough and not finished too well. The blade seemed good though.

Not sure how to answer the OP since this is worded along the lines of "have you stopped beating your wife" but I'll give it a try. I own both a large and small Vantage Pro made in 2011. Neither of them has any issues.

Not sure how to answer the OP since this is worded along the lines of "have you stopped beating your wife" but I'll give it a try. I own both a large and small Vantage Pro made in 2011. Neither of them has any issues.

What he said.

I bought one of the original models when they were first introduced. Other than the blade being a little off center, the knife was fine. I carried it for a couple of years and it performed extremely well. The S30V knives I had owned prior to this one were a little brittle but the Buck's S30V was excellent. I had to cut some copper and aluminum wiring with it one time and I was sure it would mess up the edge but it didn't damage it at all--Buck did that steel well. As for the flipper, I never used it because I don't like flippers. I tightened the pivot a bit and just opened it with my thumb as I've always done. Lockup was solid also. Maybe your expectations were too high or maybe your knife was below average from the factory. Buck has a great warranty--you should have tried using it. The knife is not a piece of junk at all for some of us.

What he said, too.
I have one of the originals. It gets more pocket time than any of my Benchmade knives or Spydercos. Best S30V heat treat out there. I don't have any use for flippers, so I can't tell you how well mine works. Built like a tank with good thick G10 + liners. Superb blade shape. When I have something truly gnarly to cut, this is the knife I reach for.

I have had two and both have been nice knives, especially for the price. Gave one to my dad for his b-day and kept the other. Neither was the best flipper, but they locked up tight and the blade doesn't rub on either.

20151031_080033_zpsxs2zcdv1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]QUOTE]

I think this is a nice looking knife. Is it S30V?[/QUOTE]

Yes sir. S30V[IMG][URL=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Makael2/media/IMG_20160207_165050_zpsycdieq2u.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah300/Makael2/IMG_20160207_165050_zpsycdieq2u.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20160207_165224_zpsd0t6sdoq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I was really excited to get this knife but was quickly unimpressed with it. The scales had very sharp and uneven edges, the blade centering was borderline damaging (because of rubbing on the liner), and it wouldn't flip worth a damn. I got rid of it the same day I got it. I'd say you get what you pay for on this one. I'm convinced that there's no such thing as a great USA Made knife with S30V steel for under $100. IMO, of course. YMMV.

I've had one for a few years, and it's always my go to standard. It's not pretentious, it's not loud, or biggest, or baddest. But a good looking gent, reliable and tough, backed up by the gold standard of customer service, and most important of all, I can get it sharp, and it stays sharp, allowing me to cut stuff. Kinda like what knives are supposed to do.

Mine is perfect. My oldest boys is perfect. Most I've seen are damn good if by chance you get a not so perfect then Buck will make sure it is,

That's what I don't get? Trashing Buck for one "junk" blade, which was likely a lemon, and just assuming all of them in that model line, everywhere and always, must be junk based on your one bad purchase, but never utilized the great warranty they provide to get the lemon replaced. One or 2 (or 50 or 100) lemons that slip through QC, doesn't mean the thousands that were produced, being a mass produced "affordable" model, and not a sprint or limited run, must all be lemons.

You got a bad one, that sucks, and I'm sorry for ya, every co. has a few slip through qc at times, some more then others, but if you never even gave the company a chance to make it right, even though they have an exceptional reputation for doing so, then you deserve the junk blade you recieved, (as evidenced here so far by the majority of us not having the issues the op had).

Fwiw, If you still have it, send it back and get a new one...
If not, oh well, better luck next time.

That's what I don't get? Trashing Buck for one "junk" blade, which was likely a lemon, and just assuming all of them in that model line, everywhere and always, must be junk based on your one bad purchase, but never utilized the great warranty they provide to get the lemon replaced. One or 2 (or 50 or 100) lemons that slip through QC, doesn't mean the thousands that were produced, being a mass produced "affordable" model, and not a sprint or limited run, must all be lemons.

You got a bad one, that sucks, and I'm sorry for ya, every co. has a few slip through qc at times, some more then others, but if you never even gave the company a chance to make it right, even though they have an exceptional reputation for doing so, then you deserve the junk blade you recieved, (as evidenced here so far by the majority of us not having the issues the op had).

Fwiw, If you still have it, send it back and get a new one...
If not, oh well, better luck next time.

The Vantage line is notorious for being regularly crap. It took me until my 4th until I got a decent one, and even then it was subpar for a $60 knife. The blade steel did have a fantastic heat treat, and the coating seemed to hold up well, and the handle was comfy. If the action was smoother, detent better, flipper a little bigger and positioned for better force buildup it could be a real knockout.

I have handled about a dozen of them, and only one was truly good, and that was the cheapest select model.

I'm convinced that there's no such thing as a great USA Made knife with S30V steel for under $100.
The Kershaw Blur in S30V may not be great, but it's at least very good. The Spyderco Manix 2 G10 is right at $100 and is another at least very good knife. The Native 5 LW in S35VN might actually be great.

The Vantage line is notorious for being regularly crap. It took me until my 4th until I got a decent one, and even then it was subpar for a $60 knife. The blade steel did have a fantastic heat treat, and the coating seemed to hold up well, and the handle was comfy. If the action was smoother, detent better, flipper a little bigger and positioned for better force buildup it could be a real knockout.

I have handled about a dozen of them, and only one was truly good, and that was the cheapest select model.

Well there's at least 8 here in this thread accounted for that must've just gotten lucky on our purchases.

I bought a Select a couple years ago and it was junk straight out of the box.

These pictures were taken immediately after opening.

fQoUC.jpg

igUCv.jpg

axyF0.jpg

8WeYu.jpg

Buck CS took care of it after I sent it in, but like the old saying goes "If you make it right, you won't have to make it right."

If a company makes and sells 10 million perfect items and two or three that are not perfect, two or three people will make Internet forum posts saying the entire production is crap.

Back