Is quality control at CASE going down?

Are you sure it's not a scam site that has "everything in-stock" but is really just going to charge your CC and leave you with nothing?
Highly doubt it, their story says they were established in 1976 and have a real brick and mortar business. Located in Pennsylvania
I don't know if I'm allowed to say any more

Last 5 or 6 Case knives I've bought have been absolutely spot on.

It's always more wise to buy in person though and that goes with all knife brands as no company is immune to f&f issues.

Last 5 or 6 Case knives I've bought have been absolutely spot on.

It's always more wise to buy in person though and that goes with all knife brands as no company is immune to f&f issues.
Most companies don't physically check each item, they buy in bulk and then stock them on their shelves, dlt and bhq definitely can't check each item. The case specimens at my local sporting goods warehouse store all have agregious play

I know of who you are referring to above. I don't think he sells GECs at retail either. However, his prices now seem good only in comparison to the insane secondary prices I have seen. Still at least double retail. Everything is available if you want to pay too much for something. Many of us know the retail prices and remember buying them at retail while taking longer than a millisecond to make the decision.

Most companies don't physically check each item, they buy in bulk and then stock them on their shelves, dlt and bhq definitely can't check each item. The case specimens at my local sporting goods warehouse store all have agregious play
So don't buy them?

I just checked, they're all still listed as in stock and allow me to populate a shopping cart, if that still means they don't literally have one to ship, well I can't be certain of that I guess

I did a search as you recommended. If the store has the same name of the folks that search you at the airport, many of those are pre-owned. They do have a bunch though.

Back on OP though, I have several, purchased over many years. I like a few Case patterns in particular, as well as scale materials. I have received a couple that showed slight gaps at the backspring if you hold them up to a light, but nothing that I would consider to be unacceptable. A couple blade rubs too, but also nothing unacceptable.

I did a search as you recommended. If the store has the same name of the folks that search you at the airport, many of those are pre-owned. They do have a bunch though.
At a significant markup typically too.

back on OP though, I have several, purchased over many years. I like a few Case patterns in particular, as well as scale materials. I have received a couple that showed slight gaps at the backspring if you hold them up to a light, but nothing that I would consider to be unacceptable. A couple blade rubs too, but also nothing unacceptable.
I don't understand the airport reference but I assume we are on the same page, well there ya go.

It would be interesting to see what quality of case that came out near the start of their company then compare

I'll say that when you get a well made Case, it's a thing of beauty. IMO at least. Again you must buy in person or from a dealer that will take the time to inspect before shipping. That usually isn't the really big dealers who are just pushing boxes.

I'll say that when you get a well made Case, it's a thing of beauty. IMO at least. Again you must buy in person or from a dealer that will take the time to inspect before shipping. That usually isn't the really big dealers who are just pushing boxes.
I've never got a bad specimen from a certain Case dealer in Missouri and they ship too, they have always been solid.

I've never got a bad specimen from a certain Case dealer in Missouri and they ship too, they have always been solid.
I was going to say the same thing, but didn't know how to say it, they seem to be a top tier dealer.

Perhaps it's just luck of the draw, but I've been happy with most of the Case knives I've purchased in recent years. Of the 15 or so that I own, I have had to return one for a qc issue (I don't remember the specific reason), but other than that they were pretty much on point.

As for the past, my dad and uncles have carried Case knives over the years, and I know they have always held the brand in high regard for quality. He also drinks light beer and Canadian whiskey though, so I'm not sure if his judgement is to be trusted ;)

JzOnz9A.jpg

I have picked up a bunch over the last year.

Almost everything was fine as long as you manage expectations. I carry a case everyday now. It's awesome.

Worst one was their small congress vault release last year. I was really excited about it and the blades were loose and the bone was overhanging the liners by a mile. After a couple hours of peening, sanding and polishing it's now a great little knife. Honestly I probably could have sent it back and got another one but I'm a stubborn ass.

I have picked up a bunch over the last year.

Almost everything was fine as long as you manage expectations. I carry a case everyday now. It's awesome.

Worst one was their small congress vault release last year. I was really excited about it and the blades were loose and the bone was overhanging the liners by a mile. After a couple hours of peening, sanding and polishing it's now a great little knife. Honestly I probably could have sent it back and got another one but I'm a stubborn ass.
Just received my case small congress specimen today, the bolster can be hooked pretty easily with a nail and came with several scratches and one chip on the other bolster
and the steel is super soft, it has already rolled in a couple spots šŸ™ƒšŸ¤·, ah well now I know.

I think itā€™s interesting how on the Case quality threads those who get multiple Case knives that are good say something along the lines of ā€œit could just be luck of the drawā€¦ā€. Itā€™s not luck if you get multiple good ones.

Personally I have never received a Case that had to be sent back. I did get one with a slight wire edgeā€¦but if you canā€™t sharpen, you should buy Spyderco serrated knives :)

Case also makes knives of varying prices, e.g. a Slimline Trappper can be $45-80. Itā€™s one Case pattern but different knives for different people at different prices. Caseā€™s highest grade knives, the Bose/Case line are second to none in quality. But Tony passed on :(

I think itā€™s interesting how on the Case quality threads those who get multiple Case knives that are good say something along the lines of ā€œit could just be luck of the drawā€¦ā€. Itā€™s not luck if you get multiple good ones.
Itā€™s not interesting- itā€™s how statistics and probability works.

When the statistics of any given sample do not represent the statistics of the population, it is deemed lucky or unlucky depending on the skew of the data about the mean. The larger the sample size that doesnā€™t represent the population, the less likely the odds that would occur.

If someone purchased 100 case knives over the past 25 years and they were flawless, that would be extremely lucky.

i own a few truly flawless case knives.
I own 10 which function as a knife but have obvious aesthetic flaws. I have 10 others which have flaws that make them unenjoyable to use.

Back