Is the 915 Traige blade interchangeable with the blade on the automatic 9170 Triage?

I think an automatic rescue knife like the 9170 is a great idea especially with the glass breaker and safety cutter, but I much more prefer the modified sheepsfoot profile on the 915 Triage over the modified drop point on the 9170 Triage. Would I be able to take the blade of the 915 and swap it with the blade on the 9170?

...and of course Benchmade would not offer to sell me a knife with such a set up, right? Or else everyone would be ordering the 940 with the black scales and blue backspacer instead of buying the 940 and the 943 and swapping it themselves huh?

Does Benchmade offer warranty service on knives that have been customized? Or how about knives that have been painted/coated? I'd like to Cerakote some of my knives eventually.

Last edited:
No, no, it depends.
The auto will likely have extra machining for a spring to sit, but I've never seen an axis auto disassembled. They are however despite the name completely different knives, I would be amazed if it worked. Benchmade will do warranty repair on a knife that has been customized so long as it doesn't effect the proper workings of the knife. But it's their decision. I think if you coated the blades, and you kept the areas for the axis pin to sit on clean and all, there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the answer, figured as much.

I am really disappointed, I love the modified sheepsfoot blade profile on the 915 and an automatic version would be the ideal folding rescue knife in my opinion. I really feel they messed it up by using the modified drop point on the automatic. I wonder what their reasoning was for changing the blade profile? It looks a lot more likely now to inadvertently injure yourself or someone you are trying to help during a rescue, in fact it seems to go directly against the design ethic of the knife in the first place. I really don't understand it.

Back