Is the Gerber Strongarm any good?

Just curious about this model as I never had a Gerber before. I like the utilitarian no-nonsense design, but does it perform well?

Intended use would be house/camp chores, nothing too crazy. No batoning or prying definitely.

I have one. I like it a lot. For 420 steel its performed fantastically. I have “better” knives but it holds its own. The sheath is really nice and kicks the entire package up a notch.

It is US-made, sheath seems good (if a bit tactical) and it looks well-made.

...but MAN, what is with them and mostly refusing to us anything but 420HC?!

Their models that use 154CM or better should be HEAVILY marketed for how much better they hold an edge. They could then move upscale a bit, while still being cost competitive.

Gerber has GREAT designs and fairly decent build quality. And in recent years they have even begun using slightly better steels on some models.

But I'd personally still pass. The company has a little ways to go before I consider them to be worth giving my money to.

In place of a Strongarm, I'd instead suggest you take a look at a Ka-Bar Mark 1 in Kraton (2221).

The StrongArm has great reviews, but personally, I won't buy it because of the 420HC steel they use.

Their models that use 154CM or better should be HEAVILY marketed for how much better they hold an edge. They could then move upscale a bit, while still being cost competitive.
I always thought the Gerber StrongArm in 154cm, or really any better steel would make it a must-buy for me.

The StrongArm has great reviews, but personally, I won't buy it because of the 420HC steel they use.

I always thought the Gerber StrongArm in 154cm, or really any better steel would make it a must-buy for me.

Agreed. Put the thing out in a well heat-treated s30v and it would be a great knife.

Gerber's heat treat on their 420HC is questionable at best.

Gerber has GREAT designs and fairly decent build quality. And in recent years they have even begun using slightly better steels on some models.

But I'd personally still pass. The company has a little ways to go before I consider them to be worth giving my money to.

In place of a Strongarm, I'd instead suggest you take a look at a Ka-Bar Mark 1 in Kraton (2221).
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll keep the Ka-Bar in mind.

A few of my brothers have them, they like them well enough, personally I think for a little more you can buy a Mora Garberg that I prefer, but they're not bad at all.
The Garberg was also on my radar. Looked like a pretty solid knife that didn’t scream tactical, hehe. In the end though, I went with the Kansbol instead. Great knife too, that one.

I’m actually not that knowledgeable on 420HC. How does it stack up compared to other carbon steels? Say 1095 or 5160?

It’d be nice to have the Strongarm in a more premium steel. Like 3V or INFI.

420 HC is stainless steel, 1095 and 5160 are carbon steels.

I suggest you do a Google search on the differences, there is lots of info out there on all three.

I’m actually not that knowledgeable on 420HC. How does it stack up compared to other carbon steels? Say 1095 or 5160?

It’d be nice to have the Strongarm in a more premium steel. Like 3V or INFI.
Less edge retention than say, 1095 and I'm not sure about 5160 as I never used it.
It is stainless tho, and that's it's biggest advantage. Is it tough?
Yep, it's soft and thick so it has to be tough.

It won't rust or break without abuse, but it won't really be a slicer and if you grind the edge thin to cut better then you can expect some rolls.

It is what it is, a soft low end stainless steel. It is good deal for the price, but it's still not the best deal for the price. I personally see no reason why I'd want to buy it, but if you like the design that much - go for it...

Even in 420hc you should have a good experience with the Strongarm. The sheath is pretty decent for the money, and the blade will handle abuse relatively well. 420hc in that hardness will be a snap to touch up on a myriad of stones, and even steeling on a rod.

I think using a stainless steel is a smart choice for a knife that won’t need much care, and can be used in more corrosion environments without needing much attention. I’m thinking it’s marketed for the masses as a survival knife, and it’s built accordingly.

For the price, it looks like one of Gerber’s better offerings.

Back