Is the Ka bar right for me?

Looking for a good all around knife, I really like the Ka Bar and the fact that its American made. Heard great things about the CS so thats a very big plus for me. Currently looking at the Ka Bar full size Staight Edge Knife. Mostly just going to be in my SHTF bag and or home defense if I cant reach my rifles =). Might see some woodland use.

Thanks for your help.

I like Cold Steel, but I've heard that their Leatherneck has had some issues breaking. I've got a couple of the 7" Ka-Bar models--plain and serrated blade. If fighting is any part of the equation in your knife selection, I can't think of a general purpose knife I'd recommend more for $50 or so. Be prepared, if you're into sharpening your knives, for some reprofiling though (I also like to sharpen the clip point edge).

Last edited:
Recommend a good affordable knife sharpener? I am set on the Ka Bar I have looked at a lot of other knives but keep coming back to this one. Thanks for the help!

I like a V-edge, so I HIGHLY recommend the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, but you HAVE to get the optional diamond rods to go with it. It's easy, gives great results, doesn't scratch the blade, and allows you to easily sharpen recurved blades--like the clip point on the Ka-Bar. I think the "Cutlery Shoppe" has the best prices although you can sometimes get lucky on "Amazon" or "Ebay".

I also broke about a half inch off the tip of my 119 with only slight abuse (throwing it into a plywood floor) that I doubt would've affected a Ka-Bar. I'd also be wary of the slippery phenolic handle.

Last edited:
Ordered the Ka Bar 61$ shipped from Amazon. Will look in the the sheath and sharpener. Thanks for all the help! Will be my first real (non walmart) knife I have owned.

Smith's 2 sided coarse/fine stone has been my go to sharpener for a few years and it does great work. I just ordered a sharpmaker yesterday tho.

Looking for a sharpener around 20 bucks? Any suggestions?

For a field knife...?

Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener

These things are great.

Ten passes on the carbide to set the edge, and then Ten passes on the ceramic to hone it.

Then, a few passes on the ceramic when it starts to lose it's edge.

The stones are reversible and replaceable. (and that takes a LOT of sharpenin'...)

Lash it to your sheath (along w/ a Magnesium "fire starter") w/ a loop of 550 cord and then a "Ranger band" (piece of inner-tube) to hold it tight.

Just remember that the Carbide REMOVES A LOT of metal... so avoid usin' it by keepin' the edge sharp w/ the ceramic to preserve the blade.

And yes, it works GREAT.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with ceramic for a Ka-bar. You can use a sidewalk to sharpen if needs be (not the easiest option in the world, but I've proven it to a couple people over the years). Ceramics, in general, do not cut as fast as diamond hones or water stones but there's nothing about ANY of them that is inherently "bad" for a knife. Sharpening incorrectly is bad for a knife, but the tool used to sharpen incorrectly with doesn't make a difference. The people who say different are either ignorant or trying to sell a sharpener of their own---I'm usually not an absolutist and am open to other people's opinions but stuff like this is just blanketly untrue. What you do NOT want is any kind of department-store type sharpener that you pull a knife through, or that uses carbide wheels, as these are actually ripping hunks of metal off as opposed to grinding it away, and will (not might, but WILL) create chips and fractures in your edge that will hamper cutting performance and overall longevity. Overall, honestly, I do recommend against carbide blade sharpeners in general, just because again they're cutting the steel instead of grinding it, and it's easy to dig too deep and weaken your edge. Whatever you use, though, stick to it and focus on maintaining consistent angles. There's nothing hard in the least about sharpening, it just takes practice to develop muscle memory. If you have two different grits of sharpener, always stick with the coarser one until the edge is shaving sharp, or damned near, and leave the finer hone for refining the edge right at the end. A very common mistake people make is moving to the fine hone too early.

Recommend a good affordable knife sharpener? I am set on the Ka Bar I have looked at a lot of other knives but keep coming back to this one. Thanks for the help!
Lansky, Gatco, Norton stones, Smith's stones, etc.
Whatever you do, DO NOT get a EZ edge or whatever. The ones with the preset carbide and ceramic rods.
IMO freehand sharpening is more rewarding and relaxing, it does need practice to master though. I practiced on the cheap $1 knives with the serrations filed off.

I ordered smiths tri stone sharpener. Arkansas stone and two others as well as a plastic guide to help with angles.

Back