Is the Reate Horizon a good knife?

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new knife. I was interested in the Reate Hills but SMKW is out of them, but they have the Horizon model in stock for close to the same price. Would the Horizon model be worth going after? I could order online, but I am more comfortable handling before buying.

Reate has several variants of Horizon model. Honrizon C is with full ti handle and retail at $250 IIRC. I have only Horizon D TI/CF, which is retailed at $400 though I got mine a bit cheaper here from the Exchange. It is absolutely a great knife. Fit and finish is top notch, ergo is excellent, materials (m390, 3d machined ti and cf) are first grade, and the knife looks beautiful.

One of my favorite knives is this Reate horizon D in carbon fiber. The other horizon is similar but not the same. I think nick Shabazz did a review on the horizon C tho.

I would say it's a good knife for the money.

That's a great deal, grab one. The only thing I don't like about the c is releasing the blade the detent ball fights one a bit.
I got one those hills there last week.

The Horizon C and D are similar in appearance, but a bit different in feel and action. shoegazer shoegazer is spot on about the detent on closing the C. I'm about ready to file a ramp on mine, as the action would be perfect otherwise. I've had a Hills for a while, and yes - SMKW flash sales are wallet killers. They had the Hills for an incredible price a while back. As well as the Torrent, Epoch, Future, Horizon D... The C is an incredibly solid knife, and I'd compare the solidity to my ZT 0392. Just bigger and heavier.

Mine is black with gold standoffs and clip, I paid about $200. I can also recommend the Hills, it almost feels like it's assisted when opening, I love the size and full flat grind. Then again, I haven't met a Reate I don't like, which is why I have far too many! Check Nick's review above, Epic Snuggle Bunny (Austin) also did a review of the C. Anyway, it's a good place to start, but proceed with caution as you would trying heroin!! ;)

[edit] The Hills is available at KO for $180, so it really boils down to your size preference. The C is more substantial/fit & finish in every way, I carry my Hills far more often (beat the crap out of it TBH), YMMV. http://knifeoutlet.com/Knives-N-to-Z/Reate-Knives/Reate-Hills-Folder

Last edited:
The C is very nice. I only sold mind because I got the D with carbon fiber. I think the full ti D has internal milling on the non lock side but correct me if I'm wrong. With the D you get that nice looking backspacer rather than the standoffs. Upgraded steel too.

I made it 15 seconds into that video before I had to stop it. Who the hell could listen to that guys voice?

I made it 15 seconds into that video before I had to stop it. Who the hell could listen to that guys voice?
Nick Shabazz is one of the most popular and respected reviewers out there, dude is on fire. Granted, he's an acquired taste, but refreshingly honest and hysterically funny. Very self depricating, makes fun of his small hands and #notabrilliantman. He coined the term "pocket pecker" (an oversized flipper tab). He also has a video series on KnifeNews. You might give him a shot at some point, because his reviews are the most thorough I've seen. Usually 2-parts with a disassembly video I've found to be invaluable when choosing knives.

Last edited:
Lol I like the New York Jewish thing. I have cousins who literally sound exactly like that. It's so New York Jewish the guy is a living stereotype.

Love it or hate it, I think it's kinda funny.

LOL Nick Shabazz sounds like jewish comedian Gilbert Gottfried. Good reviewer.

The Horizon is a pretty good knife but the new Mini Horizons they introduced at the USN show are superb.

Has no one here seen them?

Multi row bearings and 3.5 inch M390 blades. We got four as samples.

All black PVD blade and titanium handle. Gold ano titanium hardware.
All black PVD blade and titanium handle with CF insert (one side). Silver titanium hardware.
Bead blasted titanium with CF inserts (both sides) with stonewash blade.
Bead blasted titanium handle with stonewash blade.

The Horizon is a pretty good knife but the new Mini Horizons they introduced at the USN show are superb.

Thanks for the pics. They look great. Why do you prefer the Mini Horizon over the Horizon D?

It's a bit more compact and lighter for EDC.

Although these mini versions don't have that complete "horizon" cut out the original does - but it's close.

It does look very EDC-able. So I take it these are coming soon?

LOL Nick Shabazz sounds like jewish comedian Gilbert Gottfried. Good reviewer.
Has no one here seen them?
No, I've seen a lot of posts from the USN, even some Reates, but not this one! These look fantastic! If I had a complaint about the Horizon, is that it's a full size folder - 3.5" is perfect! The bead-blasted Ti with the CF insert will be in my collection as soon as I can grab one. The milled Ti looks a bit too much like the current D. This will satiate my hunger for a modern Hills. Thanks for showing!

No, I've seen a lot of posts from the USN, even some Reates, but not this one! These look fantastic! If I had a complaint about the Horizon, is that it's a full size folder - 3.5" is perfect! The bead-blasted Ti with the CF insert will be in my collection as soon as I can grab one. The milled Ti looks a bit too much like the current D. This will satiate my hunger for a modern Hills. Thanks for showing!

You're right. I've not seen these posted anywhere either - not even by Reate on their Facebook or Instagram accounts.

Maybe we are the first to get them?

Reate let us have one all black K-2 as well (after I begged them -:)) but those did make it to the USN show.

Back