Is the Skookum Bush Tool over rated?

The Skookum is about $200.
It is "custom made".
Fit and finish is very good, better than what I've seen on many knives in the same price range: grinds are even and well polished.
It comes with a welded buttplate pommel. That's a rare feature, I don't know anyone else doing that in that price range.
It comes with a very nice shealth better than what you get most of the time.
Remember the made in Taiwan Spyderco was supposed to retail for $300.
Considering the waiting list, maker could probably set the price at $300 and still sell loads. I think we can thank him for keeping price reasonable.
All in all in terms of price I think it is actually a bargain.

Waiting list: yeah that's a long one, but knifenuts are patient aren't they.

Design is very well devised. I'd have a couple of ideas for improvement but it is still very good. I have a bunch of "bushcraft knives" and it is probably the best of them.

Then in the end a knife is knife, the most important part remains the person who handles it.

Way to many good knives out there for me to wait on one. Just is't worth it to me.

I think for the high demand, he still keeps it to a reasonable price.

I think for the high demand, he still keeps it to a reasonable price.

No kidding. If I were him I'd be tempted to make a few on spec and sell them on ebay for a profit. I saw one go for $350 a few months ago.

I'm patiently waiting for my SBT is 3V and hope to have it sometime this summer. *crosses fingers*

Way to many good knives out there for me to wait on one. Just is't worth it to me.
On the other hand you don't pay a dime before your knife is ready so...

I'm also in the Alan Wood woodlore waiting list by the way, heard it's about ten years right now, maybe I can pass my order to my children. Again as long is you don't pay it forward, who cares...

Simple rule of thumb. An item is worth only what people are willing to pay. The line for this one is out the door. It's all very subjective. They look nice to me : D

Here's the trick! We all love and collect knives here. Buy something you want or need, now and later. Buy what you need now wherever you want. Then, get on the list now, and when your name pops up, it'll be a treat!

As for waiting, most good things in life are waited for. I'm currently in the process of designing and building home. It's going to take about two years from start to finish, but it's something that I want and need, so I'll have to wait. I'm not homeless and I can continue to live where I am.
An SBT is obviously not a house, but if it's something you want, then get on the list and use your other knives until it's ready. Rod takes no deposits and even if you changed your mind later, he can easily sell it on to the next in line.
I have an A2 SBT and I love it. I like the handle weight and it fits my palm nicely. It's excelled at any task I've set it.

Nothing wrong witrh waiting if that's your cup of tea, Itr just ain't mine. I can go down to the strore and buy a Barkie and half jsst as much knife now.:D To each hid own.:thumbup:

I absolutely love mine. The two year wait was a killer, but worth it. It is one of the few customs I own, and certainly one of my most valued pieces. Fits my hand great, laser sharp, great pommel, and I even like the sheath,whereas a few owners do not.

Rod is a stand-up fellow,a skilled knifemaker, and a pleasure to deal with.:thumbup: I am glad I have a SBT. I wanted to get a spare at one time, but put my money into different lines of knives ( Fallknivens, Esee's,Beckers, etc.)

I was reading " Northern Bushcraft" a few years ago, and the Tactical knives issue featuring the SBT came out. I was hooked. By the time I ordered, the waiting list was a mile long. I originally ordered in 0-1, but switched to A-2 for the greater resistance of corrosion over 0-1, and better edge holding.

Bottom line: There isn't a long waiting list for this knife because of hype; it's because it is an outstanding knife. $200 for a custom is a pretty common price. There are a few factory blades ( and even customs) at that price that don't even come close in quality, craftsmanship and character.

These are my opinions of the Skookum Bush tool.

Nothing wrong witrh waiting if that's your cup of tea, Itr just ain't mine. I can go down to the strore and buy a Barkie and half jsst as much knife now.:D To each hid own.:thumbup:

Exactly. Everyone has a choice. There are production knives you can pick up that very day and other custom makers with only a few weeks waiting time. But if you have a Jonesing for an SBT (Which I did, thanks to this site:eek:), then Rod is a good guy and the product is outstanding.

I got to handle Hiwa's SBT and I found it to be of very high quality, and well worth the money charged, however it was not for me. I'll not be adding my name to the wait list but if one ever came around for the right price I would not hesitate to include it among my collection.

Worth every penny! The product is a bargain at it's price. They are seldom re-sold which is a good indication of it's usefulness as a tool.

Back