Is the SOG Terminus XR durable and any good?

I'm thinking about buying the SOG Terminus XR, but I'm worried about the durability of the knife. Mostly the spring. I'm guessing it uses Omega springs for the assisted opening. Is this a common issue with this knife? Do the springs break easily? Has anyone had a Terminus XR for a few years with no springs breaking?

It's not an assisted opening knife, it's a manual flipper. I haven't heard of any of SOG's XR knife springs breaking. Of course it's possible, but unlikely, for omega springs to break, but I think the issue is mostly overblown on the forums.

It's not an assisted opening knife, it's a manual flipper. I haven't heard of any of SOG's XR knife springs breaking. Of course it's possible, but unlikely, for omega springs to break, but I think the issue is mostly overblown on the forums.
But let’s say they do break. With the new owners, do you feel confident that you would be able to get replacements? If what I’ve read is true, left handed pocket clips for CS folders seem to be a problem.

But let’s say they do break. With the new owners, do you feel confident that you would be able to get replacements? If what I’ve read is true, left handed pocket clips for CS folders seem to be a problem.
I've heard SOG has a good warranty service.

I cannot speak about the new ownership but I purchased a Terminus XR a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. Useful size and now it has good action. When I first purchased it the action was very stiff but I opened it a couple hundred times and now it works great. Mine is nicely centered with clean grinds. The one negative is the clip, a little loose and over branded.

Sorry, but the company means everything to me and after hearing some guy waited like 6 weeks to get a replacement pocket clip? No thanks.

So I've been sitting here in the Office playing with this little critter, and a couple of opinions have popped up.
1. It does NOT feel like an AXIS or ABLE lock at all. There's a bit more resistance at the initial movement of the blade.
2. You have to pull the release button for their XR lock ALL the way rearward; before the blade is released.
3. The release button itself; seems to be a bit "slippery".
4. For riding on ball-bearings: this action needs to be broken -n. It feels... sluggish!
5. The "carbon Fiber" scales feel like BM's CF Elite scales: not at all like carbon fiber!
I'm trying hard to NOT be bitchy about this knife; but I think I expected a bit more than I actually got. It's not a bad knife at all. It's just different than what I expected...

So I've been sitting here in the Office playing with this little critter, and a couple of opinions have popped up.
1. It does NOT feel like an AXIS or ABLE lock at all. There's a bit more resistance at the initial movement of the blade.
2. You have to pull the release button for their XR lock ALL the way rearward; before the blade is released.
3. The release button itself; seems to be a bit "slippery".
4. For riding on ball-bearings: this action needs to be broken -n. It feels... sluggish!
5. The "carbon Fiber" scales feel like BM's CF Elite scales: not at all like carbon fiber!
I'm trying hard to NOT be bitchy about this knife; but I think I expected a bit more than I actually got. It's not a bad knife at all. It's just different than what I expected...
ease yourself from the pain and suffering and just put it out of its misery and send to me to dispose of it.😉

UPDATE on Terminus:
This little critter reminds me of my College Dating episodes:
I needed to work on my pivot and add more lube! 🤣
The T6 pivot screws were held in with Loc-Tite: not cool!
Once I broke them loose: I backed off the pivot over a quarter of a turn, and added lube to the blade and stop pin...
After sitting here working it in for a half-hour: it is MUCH smoother!

I’ve got the Ultra XR lte that I use as a money clip, and ended up ordering a matching Terminus XR lte to carry in my other pocket. Both with the TiNi blade coating and I really enjoy them. The action definitely smooths out over time and I’ve found that I really like the way the lock interacts with the blade. Makes a good little fidget toy!

Don’t know what caused it but my first terminus ended up with some spotting on the blade that looked like rust. with the TiNi coating there is no way the blade should have rusted at all. I emailed SOG about it and they said “just mail it to us and we will replace it no questions asked”. took just over a month from placing my knife in the mail to getting a brand new Terminus in return. I haven’t had a single issue with my Ultra xr, or the replacement Terminus even though they‘ve now spent the better part of a year in my pocket as my daily carry.

Good to know. Like the Terminus and the Aegis myself. Less than 2 weeks into my Trident at-xr. Gave it a drop of oil to innards.

I just got my Terminus XR from BladeHQ. FIrst impressions: a) action is a bit stiff, I assume it will loosen up over time and with proper lubrication. b) for those used to the Axis lock on Benchmade knives, the added flipper presents a little bit of a problem, at least for me. If you aren't very careful with your thumb placement, I find that the flipper opening can be thwarted by the thumb being in contact with the XR locking button. Otherwise I like the knife.

I actually parked mine in the pile... it wasn't a comfortable knife to carry. The narrow pocket clip was always a tough draw. It's shape also had some tough corners to try and work around.

Back