Is there a "perfect" knife? Opinions and Philosophies...

I've owned the perfect knife many times, ask my wife and kids, so much eye rollin' when I say 'ok this is the last one...honest!' but here's the most recent perfect knife;

Benchmade Crooked River folder

CR_partial.jpg~original

Pretty and pretty big too...

G2

Perfect knife.... pure opinion and will vary with the person and use.

I don't collect knives, but I do accumulate them and the many I never use are a testament to this. Right now I prefer a knife that has a blade about the size of the Spyderco Delica in a modern and generally 4-4.25 closed length on traditionals. I prefer two blades on a traditional. Over on the traditional forum, barlows tend to be popular and especially the ones Waynorth orders from GEC. I love a barlow, but they are too small for me for now. I may change as I get older or the wind blows from another direction.

So, perfect varies with time. In terms of buying new knives, I prefer to be somewhat spontaneous rather than carefully researching a knife and then buying. I do have certain brand preferences because of predictable quality. If it looks good to me, it is probably okay. If I don't care for it, it goes into my tub of unused knives.

I haven't read all the comments, so I'm sorry if this is somewhat of a repeat of something someone else has already said. I've been down this road many, many times. I recently found (built) my perfect knife after searching in the wrong (more expensive) place. Funny story, I was actually trying to build the perfect knife as a gift for my brother. Once it was finished, I loved it so much, I built another one for myself! But it's perfect for me for a mix of things. First, for what I intended to use it for, which is simple edc tasks at work. And second, my own tastes. Love the Benchmade axis lock. Easy to deploy or close the knife one handed. I didn't want anything over 3.5 inches, because I think it's unnecessary for work/edc. I wanted a simple look, but I still wanted it to be functional, durable, attractive, and light weight. Fun to play with and fun to use. I wanted a great blade shape, and great steel that would hold an edge, and was extremely corrosion resistant. And finally, I wanted to be able to pull it out of my pocket without tearing up my pants. The end result was a 551-1 full size griptilian blade (cpm20cv) on some smooth, gunmetal AWT scales. None of the functional aspects of this knife would matter if I didn't "love" it. That's a big part of what makes this knife "perfect" I think. It could be the best damn knife in the world, but if you don't love it, your search will continue. My suggestion is, sit down and figure out what really matters to you, then build it. You'll love it so much more if you put it together yourself. And that way, you can make sure it's exactly the way you want it. (My phone camera made this thing look purple, but it's actually gray)

24957086824_940568e0e1_z.jpg

24957089774_a569df726c_h.jpg

24960877123_c0197b1d19_z.jpg

25561449496_8c0a908561_z.jpg

25468971662_4d250fdf64_z.jpg

The only perfect production knife is Spyderco PM2 by far... awesome design, great material with superb ergonomic...

Another up coming in my head is Emerson... So many design that can be considered the best when it come to aesthetic, ergonomic and practicality.... all they need is just to improve their fit an finish and blade steel/heat treat to become the best of this world IMO.

Philosophically, if I'm not considering replacing it(based on dissatisfaction of some sort), it's close enough to perfect.

Yes. There. Is. A. Perfect. Knife.
ONE PERFECT KNIFE!
I don't know what it is, but it's not a PM2 or a 940.
You better hope you NEVER find it!

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer" - Hans Gruber

Back