Is there a way to dye leather naturally ?

Without toxic dying method. I would like to brown natural leather a little, but only with something natural, unharmful and ecologic.

Lots of natural dyes. Seeds, leaves, bugs, minerals. Ask someone who does weaving or textile stuff or do some readings/research. Example: Walnut husks will color most anything.

Lots of natural dyes. Seeds, leaves, bugs, minerals. Ask someone who does weaving or textile stuff or do some readings/research. Example: Walnut husks will color most anything.

I've tried the vinegar and iron filings suggested in an earlier post. Makes a great stable black. Just remember to neutralize in a baking soda solution and hit with some neetsfoot oil when dry.

Sure, pure neatsfoot oil (warmed), light coat, set it in sun. It'll darken up. Remember to turn your project over!

What can I use for light coat ? How do I apply it ? I just want to brownish it, not blacken it, will it works ? How many time in the sun ?

What about leather thickness ? I can buy a leather with 1.4cm or 2cm thickness, will it be enough ?

What are you making? That leather seems pretty thick?

If ya meant mm and not cm they would probably work for ya. I use a brush to paint a light coat of oil on.

I’ve dyed one with my own blood on accident once. It takes a lovely warm reddish brown color. That process was a bit painful though.

I’ve also seen rendered bear fat darken rawhide sheaths nicely. I’ve never tried it on vegetable tanned leather but I would assume it could work similarly.

In my experience any oil will darken leather somewhat, as will age. I'd say your best bet is get the leather you want to work with, and start experimenting. Everyone's process is going to be a bit different, and so is every piece of leather.

I've also darkened leather quite a lot with a blow-drier and beeswax, it does stiffen the leather quite a lot, so that is a consideration, but another method worth considering.

I am just getting into doing some light work with leather, so I am no expert. This may not be the best thing to do, but I was playing around a bit with coffee (well, espresso, actually). Seems to work for a slight color shift that darkens suitable to my tastes with a little saddle soap. Here are a couple of pieces. The color I started with and one after a 4 hour soak in some left over espresso and a saddle soap rub.

IMG-5327.jpg

I've done the neatfoots oil, coffee, brown shoe polish (for an antique finish in the low points), vinagroon (pretty smelly not sure I got the mix right, but the leather was black as sin!)
Also have used snow seal, and aussie leather conditioner.

Leather will darken with just the conditioners and waxes and carry/use.

These slips have no color in the leather. Just an occasiona condition.
xiRdMQh.jpg

Same slip..
XIu4GQj.jpg

Now...

cPGbNWC.jpg

I have used concentrated coffee and the grounds to soak for a nice brown color, soak for minimum 2 hours.

I have also used pomegranate juice from fresh seeds to get a very pink color, and after a auick coffee dip its a nice reddish brown.

Walnut husks (not shells), chestnut pods, pomegaranate rinds, many things can be boiled down for an earthy brown and yellow color.

Back