Is there anything Knife fans can do about fake knives?

I shop eBay occasionally and was checking for a discontinued model of a knife and ran across a seller from China selling very well done but fake spydercos, and ZTs. The serrations are wrong on the Spydercos and the price is of course half. He also had feedback saying they are fake. Unfortunately he has sold quite a few of them. Many people buying them left positive feedback and think they got the real deal too.:mad: Is there anything knife fans can do besides educate people? Does reporting a listings do any good? Any other options?

Don't buy them.

Educate those around you.

Unfortunately, "Fake Spyderco $20" is better than "Real Spyderco $100" to most of our vaunted consumer base nowadays.

Same as "WalMart Tent $30" is better than "Good Tent $150" Etc, etc, etc.

"Buying" is better than "Buying Quality" I'm sorry to report. Educated consumers have been replaced by "Consumers".

And to get into the politico-socio-economico of the whole thing would require posting in a different forum. Sorry.

As Velitrius already said a lot of people don't care. They have what looks like a Spyderco knife and if it fools other people then job done. This makes no sense to me. It's the same as having a fake Rolex, you might fool a lot of people, but at the end of the day your just a cheap fraud.

1) Don't buy off eBay.
2) Report the fake to whatever company it is.
They are the only ones who have a chance of getting the fakes off eBay.

FWIW eBay does not care if fakes are being sold on their site since they are not legally liable as eBay is not the actual seller.

It is a nightmare. Some of the fakes are very well done. I like Spyderco knives
a lot and ZT too. But you have to suck it up and buy from a dealer...or you
might end up with a fake. I am OCD to a fault and can spot fakes pretty fast
since I really look at details others might never even see...that being said,
I pity people just starting out. They may never even realize the blade they
are so proud of is not a real one.

Not cool. The only thing worse are the cretins that review them and recommend
them on you tube. One I saw thought they were a great way to have an awesome
collection for cheap. It is hard to articulate how much is wrong with that position
without going way off topic...

The fakes are bad...especially the really close ones.

Reach out to the reviewers on utube, see if they’ll warn their viewers of whom to avoid when buying from places like eBay. Don’t know if they can name names legally.

Just don’t buy them? I’m not buying anything I know is a ripped off design.

That said, I bought a Ganzo 41 - not a rip-off but the company has been sh****z

If someone wants to buy a cheap knock off. I don’t feel sorry for them.

It’s the people that get tricked. Thinking they got a good one and sometimes even paying top dollar for one. I feel sorry for. If it’s too good to be true......

The bigger long term problem is the devaluation of our collections. We can’t sell ours if everyone is so afraid of fakes they only buy from reputable dealers as has been recommended here.

It may not seem like much, but buying knives from reputable dealers rather than the big river web site and that auction site (some exceptions there, but research and research again before purchasing). I was fortunate enough to learn that before making a mistake and that info came from here. My brother became interested in the knives I was buying and I steered him away from the "deals" he was finding in those two places, so now there's another person who's not likely to buy a fake.
Casual knife enthusiasts may not be aware that fakes or clones exist and everyone loves a bargain. Education is a slow fire, but it is the only real way to expose the problem. If some one you know asks, spread the word. Because those that don't know, don't know they don't know.

Don't buy them.

Educate those around you.

Unfortunately, "Fake Spyderco $20" is better than "Real Spyderco $100" to most of our vaunted consumer base nowadays.

Same as "WalMart Tent $30" is better than "Good Tent $150" Etc, etc, etc.

"Buying" is better than "Buying Quality" I'm sorry to report. Educated consumers have been replaced by "Consumers".

And to get into the politico-socio-economico of the whole thing would require posting in a different forum. Sorry.

Well said.
Unfortunately, speaking as a generalization, the consumer situation is complicated by a market where a name brand doesn’t always guarantee a level quality that justifies the price. :(

Factor into that the proliferation of cloning, and it gets really hard to know if you scored a deal or if you got royally screwed. It’s to the point where I distrust anything on Ebay or Amazon being authentic, regardless of product category. It pisses me off.

Screw China.

Succinct and accurate.

Back