Is there such thing as a "full stop"?

AFAustin

Gold Member
This may be basic and if so, forgive me, but I wanted to ask about something that's new to me. I have way too many traditional pocket knives, some with half stops and some without. But recently I picked up a little knife which, for want of a better term, seems to have a "full stop" for each blade.

The knife is a Leatherman Juice B2. (I know, pushing the limit a bit of what's "traditional" but there's no clip, no one hand opening, etc. And in any event, my post isn't so much about the knife---although I've been more pleased with it than I had expected---but rather whether a feature of it is found on other traditional knives). When I say "full stop", what I mean is that there's a notch in the back square of the tang which engages with the spring when the blade is fully open. It acts as sort of a semi lock and provides resistance so that the blade is a little more solid in the open position.

The down side for me is that I have a habit of idly pushing on an open blade when it's in my hand, sort of feeling the spring tension, and I can't do that with this one---very different feel! But otherwise, it's an interesting and somewhat useful feature.

So is this something that's been around forever and I just haven't come across it? And if so, what's the proper name for it?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

It seems like a regular non locking slipjoint with some friction resistance machined in.

A little more square or a little deeper and it would be a lockback!

I have not seen that before.

It's what Spyderco calls a "notch joint". It's common on multi-tools which is the origin of the B2.

"NOTCH JOINT
A non-locking joint in which the blade is held open by spring pressure against a notch in the tang."
notchjoint.jpg

https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/knife-anatomy/locking-mechanisms/

I suppose a "full stop" is what happens when any folding blade is fully opened.

The Le Thiers per Chambriard Compact I have has the same lock notch. I'm not sure if that is a common feature in French knives.
20180519_231643.jpg

Last edited:
"Full Stop": When the blade is opened all the way.

Edit:
"Full Stop" can also refer to bringing a vessel, ship, boat/submarine or intergalactic/interstellar space craft to a dead stop.

Last edited:
Back