Is this a common defect?

I ordered a brand new Mora Robust and it came with this edge defect. Not sure if it's just a scratch or something worse. I can feel it catch my nail a bit, but it's only on one side. It runs the exact widh of the edge and seems to be perfectly aligned with some lines from manufacturing I think, not sure what those are. Is this a common issue? Should I risk grinding it down, or just return it?
IMG-20210420-224400.jpg

Last edited:
yes. looks like a deeper machine mark. these are very common on moras. dont think I've owned a mora that didnt have something like that mark on the blade somewhere. I wouldn't worry about it, if it were mine.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm amazed at how quick I found some answers here. The looks didn't really bother me, I bought it for beginner practice anyway. Just needed to make sure it's ok. If someone messes this up, it should be me! See you around once that happens maybe...

Unless it's a very deep gouge, it's not going to hurt the structural integrity of the blade. Basically just a cosmetic defect that you'd likely end up with anyway on a knife that gets used.

I agree it’s their normal grind lines. After a few sharpening sessions they will be gone.

F FritzX I just realized how new you are here. So welcome to the forum.

Having no idea how new you are to knives in general. It is worth pointing out that your knife has a Scandi Grind. Scandi Grinds are sharpened differently than other grinds.

This means there is no real edge grind. When you sharpen it you lay that whole bevel flat on the stone and sharpen that whole surface. Those marks will be gone after a few sharpenings.

If you weren’t aware of the Scandi Grind and my feeble attempt to explain it was not enough please be sure to ask.

F FritzX I just realized how new you are here. So welcome to the forum.

Having no idea how new you are to knives in general. It is worth pointing out that your knife has a Scandi Grind. Scandi Grinds are sharpened differently than other grinds.

This means there is no real edge grind. When you sharpen it you lay that whole bevel flat on the stone and sharpen that whole surface. Those marks will be gone after a few sharpenings.

If you weren’t aware of the Scandi Grind and my feeble attempt to explain it was not enough please be sure to ask.
Thanks, I appreciate you sharing the knowledge. I am new indeed, but I did a fair amount of research before buying this knife. It seemed that everyone had the same opinion that the easyest edge to maintain is a carbon steel scandi and these Mora knives are really good value. Just wasn't sure about that scatch. I don't have the best camera to show it, but if you zoom in the picture, it looks like it also has a micro bevel on that edge. And that scratch bites into that as well. In fact, if I run my fingernail on just the very tip of the edge, I can feel it there. I imagine it can be a weak spot for chipping or something. Now, I admit, I may be paranoid about this, but only because there is too much I don't know. I guess time will tell. Just one question remains on my mind for now: how much material can I take off that edge before it becomes useless?

There is indeed a micro bevel. As I understand it after you sharpen the wide bevel make a couple passes on the micro bevel to remove the wire edge.

Again the Scandi grind is different than others.

I would use it and sharpen it, if it causes problem later you have your photos to show it was there from day 1.

It’s a $15 knife so to be honest yes you are overthinking it.

Edit: Just realized I didn’t answer your question. If you sharpen just the micro bevel it will get too thick behind the edge very quickly.

Last edited:
...Should I risk grinding it down, or just return it?...
if you can return it...
do it and see what replacement turns up.
wow, grinding down a fresh factory edge already??
some fine sand paper on a flat board
and elbow greese would be enoigh.
anyways, the act of sharpening produces
a reverse impression of a shapening
medium's surface upon the knife's bevel.
so naturally, the rougher the grit, the deeper the "scratches".
that leaves a toothy edge.
it takes the use of subsequenty finer and finer grids to smoothen and polish things out for a polished ultra fine razor edge

I vote use it as is - don’t return it.

As you note, there are a whole bunch of smaller machine marks near the edge, and your “scratch” lines up PERFECTLY with those other machine marks. To me that indicates the line is in fact just a deeper machine mark that will automagically be removed after two or three sharpening sessions as mentioned before.

Back