Is this bad or is this BAD????

I visited my local B & M store today and found some new Spyderco knives in stock. How about these prices? (all FRN models)
Prices rounded up.
Black Endura £65
Black Delica £60

Using the standard US-UK exchange rate as from this post, that is

Black Endura $92
Black Delica $85

The current price direct from Spyderco is- $73 and $67

The price from the Knifecentre is- $45 and $43

Is it just me Sal, or are we getting ripped right off over here? I was told this was by the request of the supplier/Spyderco and out of his control! I feel very angry on this as I was looking for a plain edge Endura at some point, but not a these prices.

Oh, take a look at these! DROOL!
http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?SP43PBLK
When did 6a have 1% carbon? Huh?

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?SP47PBLK

General, those UK B&M prices are very very BAAAAD!!!!

And those limited edition black SS Spydies are extremely gorgeous!!

Does anyone know what coating that is??

If it's Birdsong Black T I NEEEEEED one!

Karl

Hey General. I thought I remembered back when I first joined the forums in February that you indicated you had a friend in the US who was buying knives here, then shipping them to you, so you could beat the prices. If I'm correct, did your source dry up on you?

Also, I'm curious how much international shipping costs from say the Knife Center. How much if a civilian American mailed a package of less than one pound to GB?

Am thinking that maybe you should carefully consider your future as a citizen/subject. You've just graduated college, and our strange, wonderful country can always use a new knife knut somewhere.

Just letting my so-called "mind" wander a bit.

Also, for reasons beyond my ken, a British/Welsh accent tends to go well with the other gender of our population.

Sounds like the prices on Spydercos from a local sporting goods store. I'd type the name but, quite frankly, I can't spell it. Suffice to say that their prices are WAY above MSRP on all products they sell. Luckily, my uncle works at a more specialized store(just guns, bows, and a small collection of knives, and the accesories for those) and I can buy an SS Endura for $49 and a normal delica for $40 without having to pay shipping.

Also, for reasons beyond my ken, a British/Welsh accent tends to go well with the other gender of our population. [/B][/QUOTE]

REALLY?:eek: Hmmm!:D

As to moving, heck if I could get a job in America, I would! You think I like a country that is scared of a Delica?

My source is still active, no problems. My only thought was that for a relativly low value knife like the Endura (read great value!), we would pay typically about £45 for one and £42 for a Delica. This state of play enabled the purchas of such a knife in line with a point between Spyderco and an Internet price. This was a fair balence in my opinion.

Now I am faced with a 1/3 increase in price. I could order such a knife from the 'usual suspects:D ', but there is a lot to be said for impulse buying and the desire to support a local B & M shop. With the lower value items, I would often do this as it was about the same price or a little more than ordering on-line. Now it is a whole lot cheaper even with P&P to order from my 'sources'. At the moment I am not able to buy another knife, but I am worried that my local B & M store is simply ripping me and others off. He claimed the price increases were not his fault, perhaps an around the board increase in price is comming for all of us?:confused:

Just thought I would give you the heads up chaps!:(

Thanks!

Yes, for the record, female Americans like myself do tend to like accents for some reason. What can I say? We hear typical American accents all the time, different is sexy. ;)
And just to stay on topic, that is a positively horrible price for those knives.

Hi Marajade. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Hi General. Price is really something that is very different in many areas. 'Tis a noble thought to support your local knife dealer that bothers to invest his own money in inventory so you can go get one.

You are also supporting the Distributor that imports the product and lives with our requirements. There is also a piece in there for your government (duties), the shipping (over 4,000 miles). It is because of all of these people getting the product to your town, that you can go see one. They can't be expected to work for nothing, can they?

sal

General,

The price ex-works where ever the thing is manufactured is very different from the delivered duty paid price 4,000 miles away. Usually, for most product the difference is around 40%. In some places like Brazil, where the government believes in protecting local industry, I have seen some products at 110-120% above their suggested US retail price.

Of course, the same thing works in reverse, European cars are far cheaper where you are then where I am. :)

N2S

Fair points all, esp the bit about women liking my accent;) !:p

Sal, you know I am a supporter of your company and products, to my mind they represent the best quality vs value knives around. I can fully accept the many hands in the pie argument and if they did not do this, I would not see a knife. However a 45% increase overnight does seem WAY out of order and is a huge surprise:mad: .

The math is simple, for slightly more plus a little P & P I can have another Military (two is not enough right?:rolleyes: ) rather than a black FRN Endura. Or I can order the Endura on-line and save a packet. The knife was still fairly expensive before, now it is untenable for the people who like to support a B & M store. I like the people who work there and appeciate the time and knoledge they have. I have spent a LOT of money with them over the years. If it was a 10 or even 20% increase I would feel annoyed, but accept it. Nearly 50% is not on in my opinion. Such is life?:confused:

N2S
Of course, the same thing works in reverse, European cars are far cheaper where you are then where I am.
Hmm, and why Böker ad Fällkniven knives cost less in America than in Europe? :rolleyes:

I think the reason is a bit another. Knife sales in Europe are noticeably lower than in America, European store sells one knife when American counterpart sells 3-5 ones. On the other hand store-keeping costs in Europe are certainly not lower than in America, who knows aren't they even higher. This causes European retailer to try to earn on one sold knife as much as American retailer could earn on 3-5 or more ones. Sometimes this trend seems being exaggerated and looks like desire to earn more money with less effort and commercial risk. It's really hard to consider where is the border...

This rises the prices and pushes European customers to American dealer's what causes next decrease of sales in Europe and next rising the prices. For me it looks like some kind of vicious circle and I don't see any solution.
Thing to think about...

PhotoPoint is dead but I can't live without illustrations ;) Here is illustration in words - in very nice and well supplied knife store in Dusseldorf (Germany) I saw the large Sebenza for 1.500 DEM (equivalent of $750) and the Microtech LCC for 700 DEM ($350).
How do you like this picture?

The facts are this Sal- The Delica sold for £39.99 and the Endura for £44.99. These prices have been at this level for about 2-3 years.

The same shop is selling a Goddard L/W for £50 also. At £15 less than the Endura, a much better deal?
The Spyderwrench for £89
So the Endura has gone up from £44.99 to £65
The Delica from £39.99 to £59.99.

Unless my maths are wrong, that is a 50% increase in price? The models are the new ones with the new lockback dedent.

As I said, crazy prices! Seriously Sal, thanks for even listening to me.

Wayne,
Please shoot here some prices on Bökers, Fällknivens, Pumas, Klötzli and other European made knives in this store. Seems without this we can't convince Americans how lucky they are buying knives :)

For ex. Böker Walter Brend Tactical (bolstered G-10 handle) costs in Böker's own store in Solingen 229 DEM (closely to $115). In the store in Dusseldorf I have already mentioned (it is about 30 km between Solingen and Dusseldorf) it costs even more, above 300 DEM. I saw this knife on-line for something about $85-90, I don't remember where but certainly it was American dealer.

What common it has with taxes, duties and transport costs? It is no any borders between Dusseldorf and Solingen, the travel took me less 20 minutes and cost about 6 DEM ($3) only.

Wow, that's harsh- Bend over & grab your ankles...
We have it pretty good here in the US price-wise. I bought my first Spyderco in Berlin in '93 or so & it was about DM75,00. (about USD$55.00 then) I do understand the reasons for the higher pricing- scarcity, extended supply lines, retail markups, tariffs, exchange rates, etc., but it doesn't make it any easier. As for me, I'll not complain about US knife prices.

No can do Sergiusz :( . The shop does not stock those brands. He once tried to sell me a Puma White HunterII (second hand hard use) for £150:mad: oh and the time he got in a second hand used 1095 steel Ka Bar for £60. Stupid prices. He once had a Bocker ceramic model knife in (Infinity?) that was going for £126:rolleyes: !

UK prices are generally crazy (except airguns - not so bad). But in Poland is even worse. Example: I've seen Spyderco Military in a small knife shop for 900 PLN which is ... well over $200!!! That's just sick!

BTW, Just (2 hours ago) received zytel Dragonfly. What a cute little knife! It's going to be my "traveller" when flying abroad.

Piter M. ( www.guns.com.pl )

Back