Is this even a sword?

Greetings guys,

I was at a local auction today during the pre-viewing. They has a few swords there, which is a bit unusual. One was a rusty and bent Indian Tulwar type sword, and there were two crappy modern Japanese style swords. There was also the thing in the pictures below. It was pretty short, had a four-sided blade with no edge at all, but was quite pointy on the long end. The hilt seems to be carved wood and the guard and pommel look like brass. The tang seemed to be peened on. In the bottom photo, the blade is not inserted completely into the sheath, as I didn't want to try to force it into the chape(?). The blade had some surface rust, but nothing horrible. I couldn't see any markings on it at all. I did not bid on it because I didn't know anything about it. Does anyone know what it is?

-Chris

Frw8H9q.jpg

4ObPfRv.jpg

Yup - Panzer-stecher ... armor poker. It was to get in the chinks and joints of armor or mail, or to pierce thick leather garments.

Funny thing - Stecher is the German slang word for the gal you shack up with. Similar to the slang term in English, "playing pokey".

Back