Is this legal to carry in a laptop bag in Los Angeles?

i found this product in Amazon and I want to craft something very similar. It looks useful to have in my laptop bag, when it is too inconvenient to carry a knife.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00R...B00RFE7BSI&dpPl=1&dpID=51aOWLZzIBL&ref=plSrch

Is this a fixed knife, therefore It would be illegal? It has no handle, so i can’t tell..

Thanks

Listen to these guys over anything I might say but I would think the Los Angeles Police have more important things to worry about than that itsy bitys little thing.
Not saying it wouldn't be useful.
I'm just saying . . .

Yes im fairly certain a police officer wouldnt much care for it.

But i want to spend many hour crafting it almost like a jewlery. And I want to know if it is legal or not. If there is a chance of getting it confiscated, then I woudlnt bother crafting it very nice, spending many hours.

Thanks

I was waiting to see what more members would say, and maybe not offer my opinion. But here it is....

Knowing the law is one thing, and it may be vague. Knowing how it is interpreted and applied is the thing. Further, your appearance and your behavior at the time are very important. What the police officer believes, not what you intend, will be what governs what happens in that immediate situation. Of course, if it is put away, stays put away, and there is never a situation, then all is well. Right now without more information, I'm wondering if confiscation is the best that could happen among the possibilities of what might happen if it does become a situation.

A couple of thoughts:
1. There are 100s of this style of knife on the market, they are in general, little better than letter-openers as far as quality goes.
2. This thing is pretty much going to read "weapon" to an officer. Its basically a bladed single knuckle, and not going to look good. No matter how jewelry-like you make it.
3. Without knowing what your end goal is, even as an EDC its not going to be great. As SD, you are better off swinging the laptop.
4. Any of the Victorinox or toollogic cards will get you a decent small blade and a few extra tools.

If you want something like it, then by all means, but its overall utility isn't going to make up for your likely legal concerns.

Links to amazon are not allowed, should remove it before you get a warning from a mod.

In my opinion, that would be considered a "dirk or dagger" under California law. The phrase "dirk or dagger" is how California law refers to ALL fixed-blade knives, and several other types of items.

There is case law in California, People v. Pellecer, wherein it was determined by the California Appeals Court that carrying a fixed-blade inside of a parcel (backpack, bag, etc) is NOT considered a "concealed dirk or dagger" and is therefore a LEAGL means of carrying a fixed-blade.

You can Google People v. Pellecer California and read all about it for yourself.

However, based on the design, that knife might very well be looked upon as a "metal knuckle", which is illegal to posses all throughout the state of California. So I personally would not risk carrying it in any manner. But that's me. Even though it is unlikely that you will be stopped and searched by police, in these times it's always a possibility. And of course, if you ever take it out to use it or show it to someone in a public place, you take the risk of someone seeing you with it and calling the cops on you ("Oh my god! There's a man here with a knife!"). If the knife in question were guaranteed legal then I wouldn't worry about such things. But if it's not legal, then you certainly wouldn't want to draw negative attention to yourself while carrying it.

Disclaimer- Although I've lived in California for almost 48 years, and although I have been extensively educated on California's knife laws, both by personal research and the instruction of multiple lawyers in my employment, I am not suggesting that you just take my word for it and make legal decisions based on my post. Do as much research as you can, and then decide for yourself. :)

Last edited:
A guy at work has that thing and it is junk lol. Just like everything he buys. But anyways, if we ASSUME that it is a fixed blade, then you can carry it OPENLY in Los Angeles if the blade is less than 3 inches. If it is inside the laptop bag it might be considered consealed.

HOWEVER, like K killgar said above, it could be considered a knuckle and those are indeed illegal which I didn't know. And even though it is made of steel, the law considers it a "brass knuckle", aparently. Smh.

"The California Supreme Court defines “brass knuckles” as a weapon worn over the fist and used to protect a person’s hand while striking a blow or to increase the overall impact of the punch being thrown. Brass knuckles are typically made of brass, metal or some form of alloy. A recent California Supreme Court ruling stated that a metal footrest from a bicycle, although it can be used as a weapon, is not considered a brass knuckle".

Back