Is this normal? Your thoughts on LifeSharp please? Reference pics

Cypress
I don't think so, dimensions varies from 0,3mm to 0,8mm on edge thickness, 3mm in blade length and 2mm in width. Also recurves were different - from almost nonexistent to highly curved. So, my thoughts - it's just results of lazy work.
Blade whacking spacer wasn't a concern for me - as it turned out soft plastic can't damage nicely heat treated D2, nick inside spacer stop disturbing me after second or third modified spacer.

Blade whacking spacer wasn't a concern for me - as it turned out soft plastic can't damage nicely heat treated D2, nick inside spacer stop disturbing me after second or third modified spacer.

It was rolling the edge on my D2, and if you think a blade slamming into a solid piece of hard plastic won't dull it...man, I want the steel you got. If you search around on the issue you'll see that everyone (including me) noticed the backspacer contact because the blades were getting dull in one particular spot with seemingly zero cutting use.

Hmm, maybe it's not my particular luck with steel - I just like my edges sturdy, and sharpen all knives on bigger angle (with final strokes on even steeper "micro-secondary" edge).
Nevertheless I'd humbly recommend topicstarter try to replace the blade. I've heard that grey (20cv) griptilians at first came with thicker bewels, but in this case it's obvious - good chunk of cutting edge was grinded off.

Thank you all for your responses.

Benchmade is still reviewing the pictures and haven't heard anything back. Will definitely report back here with responses. Still would be interested in any 'other' comparison or as-is photos of 555-1's out there if anyone else has a moment. Hollow ground or not, from the manufacturing perspective, having different size blanks (not based on tolerance, especially with 3/16~1/8" differences) for product differentiation seems a bit exaggerated. Maybe they have their reasons.

While hollow ground/saber ground would make a difference in the blade thickness behind the edge, it doesn't quite explain why the blade would be significantly shorter.

So far, I feel the responses have been mixed, with some stating the sharpening was over done, and others stating that's the way they were originally made with specific size differences.

Perhaps the LifeSharp is designed to 'discourage' return sharpening service or designed to make a significant difference between a new knife and a used one for aftermarket sales, who knows. I would be surprised if Benchmade would use such tactics though. They've been around long enough and a reputable company producing what the public requests.

Regardless, I can't say I'm happy about eating into a premium metal :) I suppose I would still feel a bit disappointed even if it was a 154cm.

I don't know if it is because we're approaching the holidays or because I'm on the bottom of the list but the responses from Benchmade has been super slow. They blew past 2-3 day response time (sent in an online form 10/20, they got back to me 10/31 for picture request) to the online contact form, and I just received a message saying they never received the pictures (that now I have sent three times, first 10/28 to a different agent, again on 10/31 to the online form and another on 11/4). Just sent two more today just to make sure...Getting a little frustrated...

Not in a hurry but don't like the feeling of 'you're not that important right now' :)

Not in a hurry but don't like the feeling of 'you're not that important right now' :)

Call them and hold them on the phone until that person receives your pictures. I've done this before with other manufacturers that mysteriously "lose" emails. Remind them of how long this process has taken and you'd appreciate some form of resolution.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is because we're approaching the holidays or because I'm on the bottom of the list but the responses from Benchmade has been super slow. They blew past 2-3 day response time (sent in an online form 10/20, they got back to me 10/31 for picture request) to the online contact form, and I just received a message saying they never received the pictures (that now I have sent three times, first 10/28 to a different agent, again on 10/31 to the online form and another on 11/4). Just sent two more today just to make sure...Getting a little frustrated...

The BM online form is useless. I once sent a request through that form. No response. Tried again a few weeks later, finally got responded by email. But when I followed up on that email, no further response.

It seems telephone calls are the only reliable method, a methid that I actually do not prefer.

Thank you all for your responses.

Benchmade is still reviewing the pictures and haven't heard anything back. Will definitely report back here with responses. Still would be interested in any 'other' comparison or as-is photos of 555-1's out there if anyone else has a moment. Hollow ground or not, from the manufacturing perspective, having different size blanks (not based on tolerance, especially with 3/16~1/8" differences) for product differentiation seems a bit exaggerated. Maybe they have their reasons.

While hollow ground/saber ground would make a difference in the blade thickness behind the edge, it doesn't quite explain why the blade would be significantly shorter.

So far, I feel the responses have been mixed, with some stating the sharpening was over done, and others stating that's the way they were originally made with specific size differences.

Perhaps the LifeSharp is designed to 'discourage' return sharpening service or designed to make a significant difference between a new knife and a used one for aftermarket sales, who knows. I would be surprised if Benchmade would use such tactics though. They've been around long enough and a reputable company producing what the public requests.

Regardless, I can't say I'm happy about eating into a premium metal :) I suppose I would still feel a bit disappointed even if it was a 154cm.
Hello, In the future, I suggest always taking a pic of any knife you send in for sharpening etc.., Also when I started making knives. ATS-34 & then 154cm were the “Super Steels” ;-) and I still use 440C for some of my Culinary knives.. With proper HT all of those are excellent Steels for folders as well.. IMHO to many are focused on whatever is called the the Super Steel of the week.. I don’t have any comments about you issues with the sharpening BM did for you. My last comment to you is to learn how to sharpen. And if you keep them sharp by learning how to properly do honing/stropping on your own blades. They won’t get DULL for a long long time! Take care...

Well, I did get a response back.

They basically said, the s30v version and 20CV version has a different stock so nothing to worry about.

I responded back asking why the primary bevel is so thick behind the edge that makes the cutting feel a lot different. I requested pictures of tips on other 20CV mini grips for comparison. No response yet.

If anyone else could post pictures of the blade tips or comparison pictures of their 555-1 20CV, I would greatly appreciate it. At this moment, I have nothing else to go by other than ‘nothing to worry about’ :)

Thanks you all in advance!

Last edited:
Yes, would be good if we can see any new 20cv blade pictures from other Bladeforums members.

Well, I did get a response back.

They basically said, the s30v version and 20CV version has a different stock so nothing to worry about.

I responded back asking why the primary bevel is so thick behind the edge that makes the cutting feel a lot different. I requests pictures of tips on other 20CV mini grips for comparison. No response yet.

If anyone else could post pictures of the blade tips or comparison pictures of their 555-1 20CV, I would greatly appreciate it. At this moment, I have nothing else to go by other than ‘nothing to worry about’ :)

Thanks you all in advance!

There's a difference between "different stock" and what you've got going on. Your blade is not only shorter than it should be, but NOTICEABLY thick behind the edge. I'd call them every day until they replaced the blade.

OK... I unboxed my 555-1 to get some pix and measure the blade. My blade at it's widest (over the top of the hole straight down to the edge) is 27mm. At the end of the primary grind line (where the belt finish changes to the stonewash finish at the drop-off going down to the tip), the width is 13mm. The total length in a straight line from the G10 to the tip is 74mm. My blade is 2mm thick from the top of the hole to the beginning of the taper near the tip.

Flat.jpg Spine.jpg Tip.jpg

HTH...

Thank you BMK Jimmy!

Yes, I got a response today. They gave me a credit for free blade replacement, to make sure I’m satisfied as a customer and to walk away content with the service.

I really appreciated BMs willingness to see this through and to make sure I was taken care of.

They told me to get a good use out of the current blade and send it in for the blade replacement when I’m ready.

Thank you all again for your help with this and really appreciate the posts. Glad to see the level of support and willingness to solve problems in the forum.

Best regards!

Thank you BMK Jimmy!

Yes, I got a response today. They gave me a credit for free blade replacement, to make sure I’m satisfied as a customer and to walk away content with the service.

I really appreciated BMs willingness to see this through and to make sure I was taken care of.

They told me to get a good use out of the current blade and send it in for the blade replacement when I’m ready.

Thank you all again for your help with this and really appreciate the posts. Glad to see the level of support and willingness to solve problems in the forum.

Best regards!
Great to see that Benchmade's got this sorted for you. A quick visual comparison with the pics that dalefuller posted confirms that way too much metal was removed in the sharpening.

Yes, I agree. Just the length of the blade and how far it reaches the blue back spacer let’s me know that too much metal was removed.

Regardless, BM came through for me. Hats off to them.

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing when looking at the blade.
benchmade-555-1-mini-griptilian-gray-g10-20cv-blade-folding-knife-90.jpg

Notice where the hole and the saber grind meet on a proper example, now look back at Ops grip. It was messed up from the get go.
YbDUy0m.jpg

The whole saber grind is not high enough.

Last edited:
This reminds me of an old picture I took in a knife store. Lol, sorry BM, but this one is for you get better. ;)
bSzPpib.jpg

Last edited:
To the original poster,
Send me your email and I will send pics of mine. It looks exactly the same and almost identical measurements.
I believe I need to be a gold member to post pics and/or pm?

Back