Is This Normal?

Is this normal on the finish of a Practic? It looks like they are trying to make sure to not get finish on the pivot, which is understandable, but looks weird and unfinished. Does that finish wear off and even out? thanks for your help!

Edit: I can't seem to insert the image in the post but here is a link to Imgur:

https://imgur.com/gallery/KXUsXqP
KXUsXqP

Last edited:
It doesn't look normal. Since handle slabs are finished before final assembly it has nothing to do with the pivot.

These are a BladeHQ exclusive so you should shoot them - an email with your photos.....

These are a BladeHQ exclusive so you should shoot them - an email with your photos.....

Actually I did, but they weren’t really helpful. I returned that one and they gave me an in-store credit but they never actually said if it was normal or not. I bought another one and it looks the same, that’s why I’m asking. I thought maybe it was some kind of beeswax or something that may just rub off. The other side of that knife and the new one I got also have a shoddy coat of finish. It looks like it was put on with a sponge. Just deciding whether to send the second one back too or strip off that top coat. The brass itself looks awesome. I like the knife in general (aside from the weak detent) but that finish is garbage. And do I try for a round three?:(

Actually I did, but they weren’t really helpful. I returned that one and they gave me an in-store credit but they never actually said if it was normal or not. I bought another one and it looks the same, that’s why I’m asking. I thought maybe it was some kind of beeswax or something that may just rub off. The other side of that knife and the new one I got also have a shoddy coat of finish. It looks like it was put on with a sponge. Just deciding whether to send the second one back too or strip off that top coat. The brass itself looks awesome. I like the knife in general (aside from the weak detent) but that finish is garbage. And do I try for a round three?:(
Thank you for your feedback.
Could you please provide us with your email address here, or could you send an email to our email: sales@weknife.com ?
We will have professional colleagues work it out with you, and please don't worry about it.
Thank you so much~~

Could you please provide us with your email address here, or could you send an email to our email: sales@weknife.com ?
We will have professional colleagues work it out with you, and please don't worry about it.
Thank you so much~~

The retailer should always be the first stop for any problems. Only if it's impossible for them to fix should the customer be referred back to you guys. This is the way I work - check with Doris.....

BladeHQ should be making this right - they must have dozens of these in stock that they can send him a new one that doesn't have this issue.

The retailer should always be the first stop for any problems. Only if it's impossible for them to fix should the customer be referred back to you guys. This is the way I work - check with Doris.....

BladeHQ should be making this right - they must have dozens of these in stock that they can send him a new one that doesn't have this issue.
I believe the retailer was the first stop, and the “first stop” wasn’t much help. Rather than waste time back and forth with BHQ, if the manufacturer wants to step up so be it.
A lot of us have better things to do with our time than argue with weak customer service reps.

Thank you so much~~

Thank you We Knife. I will be in touch. I appreciate your interest! We will work it out, no worries.

I agree. When I returned the first one, they sent me a big long list of terms to be able to accept the knife, which I’m sure is standard. They said they would need to inspect it and determine.... blah blah blah. It sounded like it was gonna be a process. As it turned out, it really wasn’t and they quickly just gave me the store credit. Unfortunately, I actually wanted them to inspect it and let me know if the issue was typical. I’m thinking they are dealing with returns by quickly checking to make sure everything is there and putting them back on the shelf or selling them at a discount. The second one I received, the knife wasn’t even in the internal plastic, which leads me to believe it may have been returned for the same reason.

I definitely believe QC begins at the factory but it seems like the retailer can open a box occasionally before sending out problem knives, especially if they are an exclusive run created for said retailer. I dunno, I know they shouldn’t be expected to open a thousand boxes but if they are aware that there is a bad lot or something, they might wanna do something. Surely I’m not the first person to get one of these. And if one has been returned, DEFINITELY don’t just stick it back on the shelf!

I believe the retailer was the first stop, and the “first stop” wasn’t much help. Rather than waste time back and forth with BHQ, if the manufacturer wants to step up so be it.
A lot of us have better things to do with our time than argue with weak customer service reps.

For sure! The customer service rep made no comment whatsoever on the photos I sent. I just got the “list of demands” that must be met before they accept a return. It’s probably a form letter but still. It’s written to almost make you question whether you should bother returning anything.

Again, the return did end up going smoothly and I have a store credit. I would just have liked to have heard from the rep that, “Yeah, that looks wrong! Send it back ASAP and we will get another one out to you.” They actually said that they do not do exchanges, they only do a refund or store credit. I’m not mad or anything. It just seems like their customer service could use some tweaking.

maybe a stupid question
forgive me

have you tried cleaning it with a alcohol wipe? it looks like oil to me

maybe a stupid question
forgive me

have you tried cleaning it with a alcohol wipe? it looks like oil to me

I haven’t just because I didn’t want to do anything to the knife before I talked to Blade HQ or We Knife, so that I wouldn’t void the warranty. The thing is though, it’s completely covering the other side. It’s definitely not oil but I thought maybe a beeswax or something. I was really hoping Blade HQ would look at those pics and just say, “Oh that’s just a protective coating. You can wipe that right off with alcohol.” I just don’t wanna start scrubbing on it unless I can’t exchange it or something. Doesn’t seem normal.

Well this whole saga doesn't reflect nicely on BladHQ at all, as our member Roy has astutely pointed out.
Okay so they sell a lot of knives - they are very busy etc but it doesn't excuse this type of pathetic after sales service.

And while it's admirable on the part of WE KNIFE to jump in and help they really shouldn't have to, except as a last resort. However since the OP has now returned two of these with no satisfaction from BladeHQ, this now is the last resort. I wouldn't bother wasting anymore time with BladHQ either so WE KNIFE should be able to get you one that is perfect.

There's an old saying in retail "It's not the sale you should judge the retailer on. Judge them on how they perform when there's a problem with the sale"

I've had similar experiences with BladeHQ. I ordered one of their exclusive S35VN Elementums when they first came out. The one I got had a "wet noodle" detent. So I reached out to BHQ. The conversation went back and forth with three different reps. Questions were not answered. There didn't appear to be any communication between those reps. Including confirmation, multiple instances of the same message from them about the strict rules and possible penalties of their return policy, and a complaint from me about the process, there were 19 messages back and forth!

During that grueling process, I reached out to WE in case things didn't pan out. The customer service was top notch. They instantly put me in touch with their US Rep. The US Rep was friendly and helpful. He clearly explained the process and gave me an expected window for parts and service. I was just about to send it to WE's rep when BladeHQ finally came through. I contacted WE's US Rep, who told me that it would be simpler just to get the refund from BladeHQ. So I did.

BTW, I should also point out that my last three orders from BladeHQ were poorly packaged. They were shipped in soft envelopes which allowed the knife boxes to get all crushed up during shipping. One was a fixed blade from Kizer. The inner plastic shell was broken and the tip protector had slipped off as a result. This really irks me because BHQ charges for shipping. There are other retailers that use good, protective, rigid cardboard boxes and ship for free.

I've had similar experiences with BladeHQ. I ordered one of their exclusive S35VN Elementums when they first came out. The one I got had a "wet noodle" detent. So I reached out to BHQ. The conversation went back and forth with three different reps. Questions were not answered. There didn't appear to be any communication between those reps. Including confirmation, multiple instances of the same message from them about the strict rules and possible penalties of their return policy, and a complaint from me about the process, there were 19 messages back and forth!

During that grueling process, I reached out to WE in case things didn't pan out. The customer service was top notch. They instantly put me in touch with their US Rep. The US Rep was friendly and helpful. He clearly explained the process and gave me an expected window for parts and service. I was just about to send it to WE's rep when BladeHQ finally came through. I contacted WE's US Rep, who told me that it would be simpler just to get the refund from BladeHQ. So I did.

BTW, I should also point out that my last three orders from BladeHQ were poorly packaged. They were shipped in soft envelopes which allowed the knife boxes to get all crushed up during shipping. One was a fixed blade from Kizer. The inner plastic shell was broken and the tip protector had slipped off as a result. This really irks me because BHQ charges for shipping. There are other retailers that use good, protective, rigid cardboard boxes and ship for free.

Well that sucks. What an ordeal over a few knives.

Still I guess it's not like having an expensive car or SUV that's a lemon and the dealer is trying to screw you.

As for shipping it can be good and bad. When I used to sell computers I saw a courier forget a parcel behind his truck and reverse over it. The books inside were half the thickness they started out. Thankfully that doesn't happen too often.

Then there's this..... LOL

Hi All,
Thank you very much for your continued support and feedback to us!
Our team and our dealers will continue to improve and strive to provide better service to our fans.
Please directly send emails to our after-sale mailbox for faster service: sales@weknife.com if you have any questions during use your knives in the future.
Our team will do our best to serve you.
It is pretty sure we could find solution together with your support.
Thank you very much!

Well that sucks. What an ordeal over a few knives. ...

Yes, it does. At least I can be grateful for the learning experience. Given the shipping issues that predated this experience, I only went with BHQ because the S35VN Elementums were exclusives. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and lucked into this fiasco. With the process dragging out and limited stock available, I ordered another S35VN separately from the next shipment on BHQ. It showed up in flimsy packaging with a crushed product box as usual (making four in a row) but at least the knife was good. I eventually got my refund for the first one.

Maybe WE can release stuff like this non-exclusively in the future. There are a bunch of Civivi knives that I've only skipped because of the D2. This S35VN Elementum with thinner blade stock is just what the doctor ordered. I'd love to see an Incite or a Governor in 14C28N, N690, VG-10, etc.

Maybe WE can release stuff like this non-exclusively in the future.

LOL - when they get USD$15,000 to $20,000 for an exclusive run (at least that's what Kizer want for a minimum order on an exclusive) I don't think that will happen any time soon.

I tried to get WE to make me a copper pen and was told their OEM schedule was fully booked.

But WE KNIFE are a bit smarter than Kizer in this regard - where WE KNIFE are now releasing brass and copper models to beat anyone requesting exclusives. But you're right about the blade steels and they could up it to N690 like Kizer has done with the Vanguard series. D2 and 9Cr don't really "cut it" these days.

... you're right about the blade steels and they could up it to N690 like Kizer has done with the Vanguard series. D2 and 9Cr don't really "cut it" these days.

It would be a happy day if Civivi switched from D2 to N690. My main issue with D2 is the lack of corrosion resistance. Summers are humid where I live and I tend to sweat. The extra care is annoying and I still occasionally get a rust spot.

I think 9Cr18Mov is solidly "okay" for EDC. Two of my regular carry knives over the last year or two have been the Civivi Naja and the Real Steel Receptor. I liked them enough to buy back-ups of each. That worked out because I just sent the auxiliaries over to Outpost 76 for cut testing. I'll be curious to see the results.

Thank you so much friends.
We have reported these Suggestions to our team.
We may make other blade steel versions in the future, please stay tuned with us~~

Back