Is this worth anything?

My grandfather gave me a knife that he's ha in a drawer for 50 years. he got it on a trip to Mexico and never used it. It's clearly a decorative knife, but its good steel, so I want to remount the blade onto a new handle so that I can actually use it. before I do that, I want to make sure this knife wouldn't be worth a lot.
i-3Q2zxxm-L.jpg
i-cch2Tzm-L.jpg
i-h7F2BgR-L.jpg

Personally, I’d leave it as is. Are you wanting to rehandle it because you need a fixed blade?

Yes, and as it is the handle isn’t suitable for the kind of work I’ll be doing.
Not sure what you’re going to be doing with it, but I say save yourself the time and order a Mora of some sort. Dirt cheap and good quality users

Not sure what you’re going to be doing with it, but I say save yourself the time and order a Mora. Dirt cheap and good quality users
I could, but I feel as though it’s a waste to not use this knife.

Exactly. It is a perfect excuse to buy a new knife, because now you need one. I wouldn't use that one, except very, very lightly.

The value is modest. Also remounting the blade would be a tremendous amount of work, the handle is cast into the blade so it's essentially never coming off. The little pin just holds the very pretty cow horn scales on. While it wouldn't be pretty, I'd just rubber wrap the handle if I was looking for more grip, etc....

Be the real solution is to just enjoy that one as it is, and buy a new knife :).

Last edited:
Keep her how it is. :) Very cool heirloom.
A mora is a good inexpensive choice for a hard use knife. :) Or if you want to spend a little more, there are a lot of fixed blade makers here at BF, CPK comes to mind. :)

The value is modest. Also remounting the blade would be a tremendous amount of work, the blade is cast into the handle so it's essentially never coming off. The little pin just holds the very pretty cow horn scales on. While it wouldn't be pretty, I'd just rubber wrap the handle if I was looking for more grip, etc.

I think this is correct. If it will give you pleasure to use it then do so, but you can't do much to improve the handle other than wrapping it in something for more traction / thicker grip

Back