Is "warranteed" a real word?

Does anyone know if "warranteed" is a real word? I can't find it in the dictionary. I find "warrantee" but no "d."

I do find it used online, but that doesn't mean it is a correct English word.

Help me, Rhonda, help help me, Rhonda.

Judy

Warranteed is not a word. It would be warranted.

I think...

Cool. Thanks, guys. That is what I thought the word should be, but the supervisor I am typing this letter for writes really weird - he's from another universe.

Judy

Warrented and warrenteed are two different words, two separate meanings.

English is not determined by an academy, but by the popular and logical extension of its historical structure and content.

If something is warrented, it is proper. If it is warranteed, it is guaranteed -- which is an etymological twin. I don't find warranteed to be improper. :)

See the fourth definition at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/warrantee which includes

a written assurance that some product or service will be provided or will meet certain specifications

tr.v. war·rant·ed, war·rant·ing, war·rants
To guarantee or attest to the quality, accuracy, or condition of.
To guarantee or attest to the character or reliability of; vouch for.

To guarantee (a product).
To guarantee (a purchaser) indemnification against damage or loss.

To guarantee the immunity or security of.
To provide adequate grounds for; justify. See Synonyms at justify.
To grant authorization or sanction to (someone); authorize or empower.
Law. To guarantee clear title to (real property).

Maybe it is a gray area, but I don't think it is proper spelling to put a D on the end of warrantee.
Maybe it could be Warrantee'd

I see that often. I think people are trying to jam the concept given by this phrase "covered under the warranty" into one single word.

Don't ask me!

In my long-distant youth, I was considered an excellent speller. No, really!

Then -- decades in the US military, followed by years as a Defense contractor and repeated contact with the Legislative Branch of government. My lord, the jargon! And the convolutions! And the passive phrasing! And the unclear referents! And the twisted phrasing! And the illogic of it all.

All those science, math, and engineering courses didn't help much.

Now, I'm lucky to get my name...right.

war·rant·ed
To guarantee or attest to the quality, accuracy, or condition of.
To guarantee or attest to the character or reliability of; vouch for.

To guarantee (a product).
To guarantee (a purchaser) indemnification against damage or loss.
To guarantee the immunity or security of.
To provide adequate grounds for; justify. See Synonyms at justify.
To grant authorization or sanction to (someone); authorize or empower.
Law. To guarantee clear title to (real property).

As you can see, Warranted is used for two meanings. One is that something is justified or sanctioned or required, "the very dull edge on his knife warranted a very through sharpening." The other is that something is guaranteed, "Benchmade warranted the knife to stay sharp for life."

So, "warranteed" is not a proper spelling.

"Warranteed" is not a real world; neither is "referenced". "Verbing" is a sign of mental laziness.

People use "waranteed" when they are too lazy to say "covered under warranty." If you look up the root words, "warrant," and "warranty," you can see how and why a warranty works.

I mentioned "referenced" to show a more popular example of how illegitimate verbing dumbs down a language. "Referenced" is not a valid word and the forthcoming protests that everyone says it don't make it so. "Referenced" is very popular in the corporate world and people say it when they are too lazy to say "made reference to."

People use "waranteed" when they are too lazy to say "covered under warranty." If you look up the root words, "warrant," and "warranty," you can see how and why a warranty works.

I mentioned "referenced" to show a more popular example of how illegitimate verbing dumbs down a language. "Referenced" is not a valid word and the forthcoming protests that everyone says it don't make it so. "Referenced" is very popular in the corporate world and people say it when they are too lazy to say "made reference to."

for the second time, it is a real word

supported with written references or citations; "a carefully referenced biography"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

"Warranteed" is not a real world; neither is "referenced". "Verbing" is a sign of mental laziness.

Warranted is a real word; "Warranteed" is a mis-spelling of that word.

Referenced is a fine word.

tr.v. ref·er·enced, ref·er·enc·ing, ref·er·ences
To supply references to: “Our memories are addressed and referenced... by significant fragments of their own content” (Frederick Turner).
To mention in a reference; refer to: He referenced her book in his speech.
LINK

And Verbing, meaning to make verbs out of nouns, e.g. "just google it.", is just generative English at work.

Back