Israeli Personna Red blades

If you haven't tried them I think you should. For me they cut with less pull than a Feather (I had no pull at all), I had zero irritation, and it looks like they are reasonably priced.

**Disclaimer**

I have only use them once but liked them that much with the razor I was using. And as usual everyone's face is different, so what worked for me may not work for you:p

I swore by Dorco ST-301, until this morning. If I can get 3 good shaves out of each of the 2 blades I have I will be making a bulk order in the near future, Not that I need blades right now I still have 70+ Dorco blades in the cabinet and about 50 other blades sitting there too. I wont be using the Derby or Feather blades I have, they are two that just don't work for me

Sounds like we had about the same tastes in DE blades. Feathers tore me up bad. I liked Crystals ok.

Have you tried a 1912 model SE by chance? After trying one of those I liked it so much I quit using DEs altogether.

Now I just use straights, although I still have my 1912.

No I have never used a SE, haven't even had the urge to own one:eek:, and I just don't trust my hands with a straight. Believe it or not the only nicks I get are on my nose when i am moving too quick. I catch the edge of my nostril:eek:

I've used one Personna Red but I've tried so many diff blades lately I'm having a hard time determining whether it's the blade, the soap, or my technique that causes different results.
I don't remember it giving me problems though. At least I have 9 more Red's to use before I make up my mind.
Used a Shark for the first time last night and it was probably the easiest shave I've had yet but I also tried a new soap so who knows.

I had heard a lot of good about the IPs but to take all the guess work out of it I used a razor and soap I new I liked with my Dorcos, so the only thing different was the blade. I did the same thing with a shark earlier in the week, it was a good shave but not good enough to bump the Dorcos. The IPs are look like a winner for me but I need to wear out the one in the Rocket, then try the other one in a couple other razors to see if I get the same results.

Thanks for the tip unky! just ordered some to try out. I typically use Derby's and the occasional Feather, but only get one good shave out of a feather. Not very economical! Lately I haven't been to keen on the derby's, so i figure I'll try something new to see if the blade or my technique is the problem.

Bill

It takes some time to find just the right combination of razor, blade, and technique to compliment you face and skin, so what works for me may not be for you, but I truly believe these blades are worth looking into:thumbup:

BTW shave #2 went as smooth if not smoother than the first. Normally I toss a blade after 3 shaves, but I think I might just run this one out till it doesn't work just to see how long one lasts. then it time to try the other one I have in my other razors. If it passes the last test I will be making a bulk order.

I've only tried a few different blades but the Personna reds are the best of the crop for me. I was hoping the local Wilkinson swords from Wally World at $1.76 would be good but my first shave with them wasn't nearly as nice. I'll try them again soon.

Third 5 pass shave and it is still going:thumbup: not sure if it will do a fourth day and not sure if I am willing to push it. Considering most people do a three pass shave I have done the equivalent of 5 shave on one blade, so it passes my longevity test. Now to take the other IP red I have and try it in a few other razors.

Oh my God, just shaved with the IP in my short comb New:eek: I can't believe how good it shaved. I though I had hit gold with the Rocket, but the new had me at a socially acceptable shave in one pass:eek: Unfortunately I got such a good shave after 3 passes I probably wont have any acceptable growth to shave with tomorrow:mad:

I still had to go back and hit up my trouble spots where the hair grows in a million different directions, but this is like the first time I got that really good shave with a DE, I will be faceterbating all day now. In a couple more shaves I will be making the bulk purchase, it has been decided, even if these blades only work in the two razors I tried, there is no way I can go back to the Dorco blades in them.

I've tried the Derby's, Feather's and Persona's to no avail. The Wilkinson Swords are not to bad but my best shave seems to come from the Mekur Super and they seem to last a good 4 passes for me...

I've tried the Derby's, Feather's and Persona's to no avail. The Wilkinson Swords are not to bad but my best shave seems to come from the Mekur Super and they seem to last a good 4 passes for me...

Have you tried Bic Chrome Platinum or Feather?

Different people have different experiences with different blades. I found Merkur blades to be mediocre... especially considering that they are among the most expensive blades going.

But, the bottom line is what works well for you in your razor.

I was set to make my bulk order today from West Coast Shaving and they were out of stock
cry-blow.gif
I am going to search a few other online shave stores to see if I can find them else where, other wise I am stuck waiting for them to come back in stock.

For some reason I don't think the one blade I have left is going to last that long:eek:.

Good news, I found another place to buy from and they had a 5% coupon code from another forum:thumbup: The bad news is that they are closed till next week so my order wont be processed til next week:( If I had ordered yesterday they would have been in the mail today, but at least they are ordered now:D

Last edited:
I have actually been using up and cleaning out the last bits of my blade experimentation phase and I had two of these Personna Red blades. I'm on the second of them now. I have found that with a three-pass shave, I can get a very good shave, better by far than any multi-blade cartridge ever gave me, and about 90% of what I get from BIC Chrome Platinum or Feather. So, I think these are a good blade and, in the correct razor, could be very good.

I used one in a single ring yesterday and was left speechless. I have tried Feathers, didn't work for me, and Bics thanks to you and they were good for me, but not as smooth as I was looking for. The Personna's give me that super sharp shave that people rave about with the Feathers, but with a smoothness I like.

Mind you I only has the EJ when you sent me the 2 Bics, and I have only tried the Personnas in 4 of my 12 razors, the EJ not being one of them so it is hard for me to compare the 2 blades head to head. The way the IP Reds work in those 4 razors was enough to make me order them:eek:

If you find a blade type that you like, why not order in a hundred or two? They're not expensive. A hundred DE blades usually cost the same as four to six multiblade cartridges. And, with reasonable storage, they don't go bad.

Someone like you, with quite the collection of razors and a desire for a perfect shave from each, is likely to end up with quite the stock of blades too.

Already had 100 ordered before I posted:D SO I will have close to 200 blades in the near future, what is left of my 100 count Dorco St-301 order that I know works for me in all of my razors and when the IP Reds come in I will be set, even if they only work well in the 4 razors I tried them in.

Today I tried a Gillette blade in my Slim, don't know what Gillette blade they are, but they came in a white plastic dispenser. The shave was OK but not anything for me to get excited about. They cut well but I needed to take the Slim up to 8 on the final pass to get as close as I wanted. Ended up with a bit of irritation and a couple of weepers, so I think they will be going into the "to give away" pile.

I find that the Shark I tried to be very similar to the performance of the Bics and was impressed by them, but I tried the IP red right after and was hooked. The only other blades that I have that I haven't tried yet are Wilkinsons. I haven't heard anything great about them so I have been putting trying them off. I can buy them locally if I do like them and I ever run out of blades. The thing is they are way over priced locally, $14.99 for a pack. That is almost as much as cartridge blades:eek:

Back