It followed me home (Part 2)

Today's finds.

In the lower right in that first photo there's a neat old diagonal pein.One doesn't see an old one of these very often.
A very valuable tool,would make many a hand-forging operation much easier and more pleasant,by allowing a much more natural stance at the anvil.
It isn't "universal",(double-ended)like many modern ones,but a cross-pein(if you're right-handed,or a straight-pein if you're a lefty).
Very cool,thanks for showing all these neat old tools.

Thanks JB. It looks very similar to one I have, an Excelsior.

Great looking short handled CT above the broken handled fireman Pulaski.
If you don't already have plans for it I would like to learn more?
I have not cleaned or put an ID on the head yet. The handle is hand carved but it is a ruin of splits and worm holes. It must come off. Message me and I'll send you details on the head when I clean it.

Hardwood floor scraper maybe? It looks more elaborate than the Stanley box scraper.
the-floor-scrapers-by-gustave-caillebotte.jpg

Found this nice hatchet today. I wasn’t sure about the stamp but it has a pretty high center line so I got it for $4. After doing some research I believe this is a Trojan ax made in Australia. Just through pictures and reading about them I guess they are good axes. It needs cleaned up but I am happy with the purchase! If anyone knows anything about them or has one I would like to hear your input! Thanks!

...I believe this is a Trojan ax made in Australia. Just through pictures and reading about them I guess they are good axes. It needs cleaned up but I am happy with the purchase! If anyone knows anything about them or has one I would like to hear your input! Thanks!

Trojan hatchets are still being sold new in Australia these days, as pictured below, but it was also a Sears brand, as shown further down:
8c486ac0-7c29-4587-a0de-eb9784dfac60.JPG

From Sears' Hardware and Cutlery catalog advertisement, 1927

1927AD~1_96.jpg

A "Trojan" axe was shown in the 1919 Hardware catalog from Sears.

BookReaderImages.php

Wow thank you Steve! So with what you have shown me I am going to say this is most likely a Sears Trojan hatchet.

I was starting to believe in the Australia thought because it is on a non-Kreffed handle. The head is pretty tight and there is no evidence of epoxy in the head so I thought maybe that was something they did down under but maybe that was just what I wanted to think haha. It is definitely an older ax so the 20’s sears sounds most likely given I’m in the Midwest.

Back