It followed me home (Part 2)

Since we're speaking of files, i have to mention again how surprised i am with this Lenox usa file i recently acquired. It cuts considerably better than my nos,usa made, Nicholson files. Any ideas why it's so good? I'll be looking for them in the future and i highly recommend them to you guys too.
Tw1jqYt.jpg

This followed me home yesterday. Its been beat up, repaired, and it’s pretty ugly, but I like it. I will try to make an ash handle for it as well!

dYtiJpV.jpg

I am drawn right to your hardware, cant dog.
Impressive I think to find it complete as such...maybe replacement bolts there yet the mount for hook looks solid and the toe always hooks me in when mounted well on handle.
It's going to look, feel and work very well.

Will you keep your handle at 2'-3' long or go longer? Use and leverage to be determined?

Very great find

I stopped by a barn sale today on the way to work this morning. I left most of the axes/mauls/farrier’s tools/hammers/scythes/ bit and braces for the next guy. Despite my “ responsible harvesting” I did have to give home to a couple of things.

A marked, but yet to be determined ballpeen, 16” Zenith Crucible Steel file, fairly clean edged Patent Applied For Plumb 3.2, True Temper something hewing hatchet, small Cheney hammer, and three hammer handles. The handle shape on the Plumb made me think of one that was recently posted here on the forums.

Waking up today to view some posts I have missed the last several days...
Another great good old hunt has delivered!
I am drawn to two handles you have, the Plumb yes and the TT hewing.
That National boy! I dont see those in the wild here much and yours is singing!

I need a different job or a new route to take...there are never any barn or garage sales on my way to work anymore lol!

...I work from home...:cool:

Last edited:
Your Kidding , Right ?
That thing is a specimen!
Re hang it ! And if possible hang on that handle
Ha! I meant the haft, not the head. The haft is very slender and I don't think I could find another like it today. The eye wood has significant cracks down to the bottom of the kerf, I suspect from the use of the two outside wedges. I have a nice slab of dry, home grown hickory heartwood almost ready to fit the kerf. I am going to try to epoxy it with some T-88 along with some slivers to fill the gaps made by the wedges on either side. If that goes well, I'll cut a new kerf and rehang on this haft.
Thanks for the info on the head. I suspected it was a bit of a find, but I bought it with some work in mind for it. It really feels awesome to swing it and it bites a good chunk out of soft and hard wood. I'm not a big guy and the slim wood is great in my hands.

I am drawn right to your hardware, cant dog.
Impressive I think to find it complete as such...maybe replacement bolts there yet the mount for hook looks solid and the toe always hooks me in when mounted well on handle.
It's going to look, feel and work very well.

Will you keep your handle at 2'-3' long or go longer? Use and leverage to be determined?

Very great find
Thanks! I’m going to try to just reuse the bolts and everything. It’s a smaller size hook so I m thinking maybe around 30”. One thing I’m trying to figure is what the handle should look like. Were these bolt through types mounted on the baseball bat style handles ? I’ve seen some mounted on square handles but I’m not sure if they were correct, or maybe just what the user had on hand to make a new handle out of.

In another thread, Square_peg wrote, "Alex Weygers in his book 'The Complete Modern Blacksmith' writes of sharpening files with a vinegar bath. But he cautions that after the vinegar soak the files should be soaked in running water for an hour to get all the acid out of the surface of the metal."

He actually preferred using old battery acid. But he also used vinegar.

Couple Swiss pattern files and a track chisel I think first one I have seen,marked Hibbard special.Little one is marked iron city 3,told him it was wore out and I didn’t want it and he told me to take it,was thinking it was a chisel till I filed.Feels like a hammer.imagine hosting

Maybe they're hot and cold sets junkenstien? Maybe jb's mystery tool is a bark spud you can cut through and peel the bark with? For thick barked wood maybe? Also, thanks for showing the anvil pics. A neighbor has a farriers anvil made by Trexton. He got his on the bet that he couldn't carry it and its stump base uphill to his truck. He did.

Back