It followed me home (Part 2)

You can never have too many shackles if you do any rigging or heavy lifting work. Like clamps, I always grab them when the price is right. A 7/8" screw pin shackle like that would probably set you back $70 new. Screw pin, round pin, reach, they are all useful.

When the work allows I prefer to use round pin shackles just because they are faster to release. Just pull the cotter pin, then the round pin.

They were very helpful when I picked up this 1000 pound basalt birdbath last spring.
IMG_3950a.jpg

IMG_3952a.jpg

Splish splash.
Splish%20splash.jpg
I bet the raccoons don’t tip that birdbath over! I like it! T-A

I've been on the hunt for a saddle cruiser for what seems like forever now, but I have a hard time with the idea of coughing up the $$$ they tend to sell for. I finally lucked out and found one in the wild today, super stoked!

NI1CmMN.jpeg

gAV95iF.jpeg

It's a Stiletto, which I don't recall seeing in this pattern before. I've seen unbranded examples, lots of Collins and Norlund, and a Plumb I believe.

The handle is toast, I plan on making a new one from my small stash of riven and air dried Oregon white oak. A pouch style leather sheath is also in the works.

Its been a pretty productive summer of rust hunting otherwise, but as far as axes go this is definitely the cream of the crop!

I've been on the hunt for a saddle cruiser for what seems like forever now, but I have a hard time with the idea of coughing up the $$$ they tend to sell for. I finally lucked out and found one in the wild today, super stoked!

NI1CmMN.jpeg

gAV95iF.jpeg

It's a Stiletto, which I don't recall seeing in this pattern before. I've seen unbranded examples, lots of Collins and Norlund, and a Plumb I believe.

The handle is toast, I plan on making a new one from my small stash of riven and air dried Oregon white oak. A pouch style leather sheath is also in the works.

Its been a pretty productive summer of rust hunting otherwise, but as far as axes go this is definitely the cream of the crop!
Very nice score!! I’ve found some decent stuff in the wild but still searching for a saddle cruiser.

I thought I remembered hearing somewhere (probably here!) that True Temper was the mfg. of Stiletto's axes.

In terms of quality it is definitely miles ahead of any of the 60's-70's era Norlund/Collins that I've come across. Nicely finished with some shapely convex cheeks!
True Temper supplied many Stiletto axes so there's a chance that is higher quality than a Norlund.

I've only ever seen 1 plumb saddle cruiser, 10 years ago at a flea market and I thought the $30 the guy wanted was too much.
Today I'd have no problem giving that guy even $50 for it in a heartbeat.

I've only ever seen 1 plumb saddle cruiser, 10 years ago at a flea market and I thought the $30 the guy wanted was too much.
I think I gave $50 or $55 for my PLUMB cruiser 2-3 years ago. I thought I paid every penny it was worth, but I have no regrets! T-A

I snagged this one for $25, normally I might try to haggle the price a bit at a garage sale but for this I couldn't pull out my wallet fast enough! There were a few plain-jane Plumb hatchets for the same price and a couple nicer pieces priced on the higher side of eBay comps. I'm surprised that this one slipped under the radar!

I spotted the axe in a blurry pic on a FB Marketplace ad, messaged the seller and she was kind enough to let me come out a day before her sale was actually starting. I may have bribed her by telling her that it will be a keeper for my young son... ;) I can imagine there were a lot of disappointed dealers/resellers this morning!

I'll be sure to post up some more pictures when I get the handle and sheath done.

The one that I saw was on a table at the Oregon Knife Collector's show just a few months ago. It was a pretty worn down head with a $350 tag on it, the same seller had a few Collins as well for $250-300 and I know at least a few of those sold at the show.

I thought I remembered hearing somewhere (probably here!) that True Temper was the mfg. of Stiletto's axes.

In terms of quality it is definitely miles ahead of any of the 60's-70's era Norlund/Collins that I've come across. Nicely finished with some shapely convex cheeks!
I might be wrong. but I have never stumbled on a pic of TT made Saddle axe. It does not look like Collins made product. For me the primary suspect would be Warren

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/forest-king-axe-nos-double-bit-warren-4642912691

Last edited:
I might be wrong. but I have never stumbled on a pic of TT made Saddle axe. It does not look like Collins made product. For me the primary suspect would be Warren

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/forest-king-axe-nos-double-bit-warren-4642912691
Good call.
I've never actually heard of a True Temper saddle cruiser either.

a nice vintage saddle cruiser ( I'd settle for a Collins made example if I had to ) will always be on my list.
the Imicasa made Marbles example I have is not bad, but nowhere near as nice.
I actually have two and one's decent while the oother which I bought more recently is pretty terrible.

I think the Warren has more geometry to the axe than that Stiletto, thinner, more taper to the edges. The last picture in the Worthpoint link shows a good picture of the top of the axe.

A couple of Disston rip saws.

The D-8 thumbhole has the 1917-1940 medallion, pre 1928 etch. It's in pretty good condition with a nice clean etch and replaces one I traded for a hatchet. I always regretted it and it had a nicer handle than this one.

Not sure what model the rusty one is yet. I think an etch will come out when it's cleaned up.

I'm thinking it's the later half of the 1800's. Flush one inch medallion with a keystone but I haven't seen a match to it. Does somebody know about this medallion?

Since we have some saws on here.......any info on these guys would help, I don't really know much about saws I just pick them up if they are cheap.

A couple of Disston rip saws.

The D-8 thumbhole has the 1917-1940 medallion, pre 1928 etch. It's in pretty good condition with a nice clean etch and replaces one I traded for a hatchet. I always regretted it and it had a nicer handle than this one.

Not sure what model the rusty one is yet. I think an etch will come out when it's cleaned up.

I'm thinking it's the later half of the 1800's. Flush one inch medallion with a keystone but I haven't seen a match to it. Does somebody know about this medallion?

Since we have some saws on here.......any info on these guys would help, I don't really know much about saws I just pick them up if they are cheap.

Nice ones too.
That's about what I do, if I find something I think I need or catches my eye it comes home.
Is the Wheeler Madden second from the left?

I cleaned up that rust bucket rip saw. I can't see a model number but it's an early etch, Disston & Son, three piece rocker style with the bottom reading "patent ground". The nuts are more modern so handle might not be original, don't know about the medallion.

Back