It followed me home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Square Peg that would be great. Do you have a paypal account or other way I could reimburse you for the auger and the shipping?

I know why I got the hook; it's for hanging the double bit...

Not exactly about axes but... its a sharpening system so I figured I'd throw this up!

Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 7.27.28 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-05-25 at 7.28.29 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-05-25 at 7.26.34 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-05-25 at 7.38.41 AM.jpg

I picked these up from a woman selling her fathers "old tools" so she could park in the garage. Her father had passed away 9 years ago and had left these in the shop/garage. It looked like maybe a knife shop in the photos and I thought the belt grinder was a 2x72 but the photo was fooling me! They all work and I paid about $45 each for them. Not sure what I'll do with them now, I'll keep at least 1 of the 1x44" as they are solidly built. The last photo (wooden base long arm sander thing) is actually a circular saw polisher.

I left behind an automatic saw filer, automatic setter and a hand saw filler if anyone in the NW wants them I still have the woman's number. She'd likely be excited to get them out of her soon-to-be garage (formerly the shop!).

I'm just down the road from you and I'd be interested in one of those belt grinders.

What type of hand saw filer does she have? I might like to take a look.

squarepeg: I'm pretty sure she has the Belsaw 1200 handsaw filler, and the automatic power set. I sent her an email asking if she still had them. I left there yesterday at 4PM and I would guess she didn't jump on CL and relist them. I'm still collecting/figuring out the pieces to this sharp-all and trying to figure out how I'm going to get rid of it because I don't have any use for it (I really wanted the stand it was on to be honest.)

Belsaw 1200 Hand Saw Filer Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 9.19.50 AM.jpg

Belsaw Automatic Power Setter Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 9.29.44 AM.jpg

Make an offer on one of those 1" belt grinders and come get it! You've offered so much to me in your posts and I'd love to show you some of the items I've accumulated. Send me a PM. I'm around today until 12-1PM FYI.

Found a few things on a picking trip. No idea what many of them are though, so here goes:

Merit small hatchet...the head must only weight 3/4 of a pound...pretty light, and on a neat (apparently) vintage handle that I think I can restore. It's got a nasty chip coming off the handle base, but a little epoxy should fix it up. Any idea if it's a good one? I haven't been able to find much information yet. It's currently in a vinegar soak.

I think Sears sold the Merit brand if I remember right(I hope I do). I have a Merit hatchet. I can find no fault with it at all, I would be surprised if it disappoints you.

Picked up a couple I thought I would share with you guys.
The under cutter is a Sager Chemical 1947.
The other one is a Walter on a 27" vintage handle. Its not a boys axe. It looks like a very similar set up I seen a guy use in a historic logging video on youtube. I think they called him the "Bull bucker". He was measuring and marking were the logs were to be cut. Used a little straight handle to notch the logs.[IMG[IMG[IMG
P1010008_zps69725e1c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010009_zps49824665.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010010_zps1f481121.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I'm guessing that this Walters is a Montreal pattern, since a similar axe labelled Agdor (Hultafors, aka Hults Bruk) is called that.
[/I]
Morley Walters manufactured many varieties of axes but this is one I have not seen before. Of course Montreal is a 2 hour drive from me and many of the pulp axes around here are supposedly 'Ottawa Chiefs'. He did set up a plant in Ogdensburg in the early 1960s to cater to the US market and a Toronto Daily Star magazine article from 1966 says Walters Axe of Hull Quebec was producing 240,000 axes per year. Total Commonwealth country production of axes was stated to be 280,000 per year so he obviously didn't have much competition!
Yours is still in great shape so take it out and use it.

Garry, I love both of those, especially the Sager undercutter. There just weren't a lot of undercutters made (compared to other axes) so they hold their value well. The old Walters looks to be a fine axe, too.

Coincidentally, I scored my first Walters today. I don't see many them out West here. This one is a 5-pound rafting axe.
Walters%201.jpg

And along with it I found its partner, a log dog.
Walters%202.jpg

I want to forge a couple of these myself and it's nice to have a good one to model them off of.

That was my first Walter's also. Hard not to like the rafting axes. Yours seems to be in very good shape. Very fitting picture with the log dog. Post some pictures when you get a few of them forged.

I think Sears sold the Merit brand if I remember right(I hope I do). I have a Merit hatchet. I can find no fault with it at all, I would be surprised if it disappoints you.

Thanks for the info! I just re-hung it as the handle was in rougher shape than I thought. It sharpened up very nicely...I'm looking forward to using it, and it took and edge well. It has a very nice feel to it, and seems like a great little hatchet.

I'm guessing that this Walters is a Montreal pattern, since a similar axe labelled Agdor (Hultafors, aka Hults Bruk) is called that.

That's pretty much like the whatsit I found last summer. It's clearly an insert bit; you can see the weld where the cheeks come together. After a vinegar soak I could read "Forester" as the brand. The head is stamped "4" which agrees pretty well with my kitchen scale. Still can't come up with a definite manufacturer, but the weight stamping seems to indicate a made-in or made-for North America head.

Just picked up this J.B. Stohler. It looked to be in bad shape due to rust in the pics, but to my surprise it is in incredibly good shape. Doesn't look like it has any use, No visible nicks dings or anything of the sort. The rusting pattern looks as though it were hanging on an external wall at a 45 angle or something.... Possible has the original sharpened edge on it. Almost razor sharp with all the rust. I'll get it cleaned up and haft it then post more pics.

It's sometimes surprising what a nice axe can lay below a layer of rust. Please do post pics once it's cleaned up. There will be some pitting but other than that I agree with your assessment that it has had very little use. I'd call it a Baltimore Jersey or Baltimore Kentucky pattern.

It's sometimes surprising what a nice axe can lay below a layer of rust. Please do post pics once it's cleaned up. There will be some pitting but other than that I agree with your assessment that it has had very little use. I'd call it a Baltimore Jersey or Baltimore Kentucky pattern.

Yes indeed. I'm pumped on the condition it's in. I took it down a bit last night with 100 grit but needs more elbow grease. There was also another marking just above the makers mark, a lone "K" is lightly stamped in. Maybe this eludes to the Baltimore Kentucky pattern you speak of.

Soon I'll be making another post in the "Whats your favorite Axe" thread lol ;)

What kind of handle would you hang it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back