It is a real shame.........

.....that the rookie and the standard are being discontinued. I understand that the sales do not justify the continuation of these knives. Now that these knives are being discontinued, along with the Wegner, jr. what other options does Spyderco have for g-10 knives in this size range? I have a dragonfly and a navigator (also great knives!), but I am specifically talking about the 3 inch range.

------------------
"Those who trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

The Rookie also?? Shucks. Same feeling here Shootist.
frown.gif

L8r,
Nakano

*Angela: please hurry!!
smile.gif

What about the smaller Centofante? That's got G-10 handles doesn't it? And I think the blade is like 2 7/8" long.

clip

The Centofante is great, but I personally don't like the profile of the blade. I think the Rookie and the Standard filled an important niche in the Spyderco lineup. The line as a whole is falling short on medium size higher end knives. The Wagner Jr. is gone too from what I hear. Really the only two players that are left in this category are the Centofante and the Calypso (of which, only one is available in G-10, to my knowledge). Both designs are nice, but don't hold the same universal appeal as the Police and Standard profile. Maybe the market for this style of knife is happy with the LW and Steel Endura's and Delica's.

------------------
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
**Blazing Saddles**

Exactly. I think these higher end medium sized knives fill an important niche. The lightweights are fine and all, but don't float my boat like the g-10 models. It is a travesty that more people didn't discover the appeal of such knives.

------------------
"Those who trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

G-10 delica would be nice. The Centofante doesn't appeal to me. I like my knives to have a little belly, like me!

------------------
- Benjamin Franklin

It sure is a shame, Shootist.
There will be a noticable "hole" in Spyderco's G-10 lineup with the disappearance of the Standard and the Rookie.
Maybe the word "standard" made the potential buyer think he was getting a plain knife, and the word "rookie" made him think he was getting a beginner's knife.
IMO, the only remaining practical and attractive G-10 scaled knife is the Navigator.
I snatched a couple of Standards and a Rookie immediately when I found a good close out deal.
The Standard (plain blade)has become a favorite carry/use knife, second only to the Wegner Jr. The Standard has better steel than the Wegner too (55 vs.34).
It would be great if Spyderco would continue to produce one of these models as they are very similar, and fill the 3" blade position very well.
I also hope to see Spyderco produce the Dragonfly in G-10 someday. That knife is the most elegant in their line up, but the ergos can be beat by the Navigator, Pegasus, Standard or Rookie.
Later, Bill

Ditto Bill. Maybe Sal is reading this thread. I think if any knife should be axed from the lineup its the Snap-It. Why do we need two shackle designs in the lineup?

Add me to the list for a G-10 Delica. I asked Sal about the posibilty of a Delica with an upgraded handle material in a thread a few months back. He stated that in order to make something like that he would have to drop something else. So no go.

I like the Delica but I don't like zytel. I think an upgraded handle on the Delica would be a better knife than the Standard which has a very thick blade and is somewhat heavy. Not to rag too much on the Standard though I stikk like it and have one while I don't have a Delica.

I think the trend is that Spyderco is going to better steel but cheaper handle material. Not only is there less G-10 Spydies but less micarta ones as well. Sad isn't it.

------------------
Roger Blake

Back