Italian Traditional Knives!!

A variation of the Romano pattern, this one is called Zoomorfo, with an animal head carved into the solid buffalo horn handle

Although the blade on this particular knife is 4 1/8" long, it feels much smaller due to how slim and svelte it is.... a true gentleman's knife!

The lock is secure, but not so tight that a release ring is necessary.

20230414_165948~2.jpg20230414_170055~2.jpg20230414_170032~2.jpg

This one is from M Fraraccio in Frosolone. 8.25 overall, 3 7/8" blade, handle material is called "ancient horn".
duS1OfD.jpg

- gifted by an old friend whose Mum was from Italy, on a trip back to inhale the country and her spirit

Zuava? :cool:
Certainly an unusual pattern, but I like the looks of it.
Me too :) :thumbsup:

I don't have many Italian knives, but here's a tiny Maserin Filiscjna. I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about the pattern, or even what 'Filiscjna' means :( :thumbsup:

UudJsgX.jpg

23YeuAp.jpg

The Fontani Prussiano. Fontani has some great designs but I wish they would clean the polishing compound out.... 45 minutes removing crud, but it is worth it.

This one's a splinter picker!
View attachment 2116598View attachment 2116600View attachment 2116602

A Senese by Consigli

View attachment 2116601
Polishing Compound? Maybe this is what looks like silver inlay on the photos of my pescatore knive? In real it looks grey and I always thought it was some dirt left over from polishing. Is this common on italian knives?
Great looking knives!

I don't have many Italian knives, but here's a tiny Maserin Filiscjna. I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about the pattern, or even what 'Filiscjna' means :( :thumbsup:

UudJsgX.jpg

23YeuAp.jpg
According to armasblancas.es,

"El misterio del nombre ha sido revelado a la mayoría por el fallecido Luciano Salvatici , quien logró ponerse en contacto con un descendiente del fabricante.
El nombre "Filisjn" deriva del apodo de la rama de la familia del bisabuelo Giovanni Del Tin, quien construyó los primeros alrededor de 1927 hasta unos años antes de la guerra.
Desafortunadamente, el único hijo varón no volvió sobre los pasos de su padre, decretando así el final de la tradición del cuchillo "Del Tin" (aunque he visto por la red que existe una casa de armas blancas con ese nombre)."

So the most prominent pre-WWII maker of this pattern, Giovanni Del Tin, had the nickname "Flilisjn" (which to my eyes and ears may be a Slovenian spelling of "Philistine", or as we would say in English, "Palestinian"). Thus the pattern carries Del Tin's nickname. Apocryphal, but plausible.

Zieg

UudJsgX.jpg

23YeuAp.jpg

A fantastic looking small knife! I haven't tried Maserin yet, how is their build quality?

According to armasblancas.es,

"El misterio del nombre ha sido revelado a la mayoría por el fallecido Luciano Salvatici , quien logró ponerse en contacto con un descendiente del fabricante.
El nombre "Filisjn" deriva del apodo de la rama de la familia del bisabuelo Giovanni Del Tin, quien construyó los primeros alrededor de 1927 hasta unos años antes de la guerra.
Desafortunadamente, el único hijo varón no volvió sobre los pasos de su padre, decretando así el final de la tradición del cuchillo "Del Tin" (aunque he visto por la red que existe una casa de armas blancas con ese nombre)."

So the most prominent pre-WWII maker of this pattern, Giovanni Del Tin, had the nickname "Flilisjn" (which to my eyes and ears may be a Slovenian spelling of "Philistine", or as we would say in English, "Palestinian"). Thus the pattern carries Del Tin's nickname. Apocryphal, but plausible.

Zieg
I did a brief search because I was interested in knowing the history of the name as well. Your research was much better than mine..... all I found was that it was a term for a small pocket knife. Thanks!!

Polishing Compound? Maybe this is what looks like silver inlay on the photos of my pescatore knive? In real it looks grey and I always thought it was some dirt left over from polishing. Is this common on italian knives?
Great looking knives!

I had forgotten about your knife. Honestly, it probably isn't polishing compound, but rather it is likely some type of dye. I came to that assumption from looking into scrimshaw, which the grooves on our knives may have some similarity to. I would have left it, but it was uneven and missing in some areas, which didn't look so great. A toothbrush and mineral oil, followed by a flitz polish worked great!

The Tre Pianelle. I think this knife is a true test of the cutler's skill, seeing that the blade is hand ground. Maybe not the most efficient at cutting, but a unique pattern. I forgot to take a photo of the butt end of the handle, but like the other regional knives I've posted here, it is in fact one piece of horn.

The decorative button also sports their engraving of the flower of Florence, same as the one on their Fiorentino, a nice small detail.
20230414_170450~2.jpg20230414_170528~2.jpg20230414_170553~2.jpg20230414_170608~2.jpg20230414_170624~2.jpg

Back