itrade, got my controller. have a question.

ok, there are a lot of little connections here that I believe i dont need to do anything with. am i right? heck, i dont have a DC Tach or need an Arm Field.

do i just need to connect up the A+ (through the F2 fuse) and A- to the motor and the L2 and F1 (AC fuse) to the outlet?

and hook up the Pot of course.

anything else?

Yes - you've got it.

You can forget about the F- and F+ connectors, just let them hang. Also, the DC Tach leads.

The hook up diagram here: http://www.kbelectronics.com/components/catalog/gc115/kbmm.pdf is better than the one in the book.

On the POT: P1 to one side, P2 to the middle lead, and P3 to the other side. P2 in the middle is important. It has a picture in the above URL.

Hope that helps!

Steve

BTW I looked at my wiring over and over before I realize it was as simple as 2 wires in, 2 wires out, 3 leads on the POT. For some reason it just looked confusing to me.

Also, if the motor runs backwards, just switch the leads to the motor.

ok, great!

now, about the plug. can i just cannabilize any ol' 2 prong plug from something and use that? (i dont have 3 prong outlets anyhow)

thanks, you've been a big help.

im going through grinding withdrawl :)

EDITED: nobody around here had a 25 AMP fuse for my inline AC fuse. I got a 20A because the feller said that it would just blow prematurely *snicker* and not cause any problems. that fine for now?

OK, last EDIT ;) - Does it matter what polarity is when going into the controller? the diagram doesnt give reference for which is Pos and which is Neg. - does it matter with AC?

ok, got impatient. cant help it. character flaw i guess.

anyhow, first run something wierd happened. the motor made some kinda aweful loud humming noise followed by a clunk and then wouldnt turn. :eek: i quickly shut it all down and checked the motor (thinking it may have burned up when my first controller crapped out) pressed on one of the metal spring clip/pin things and it popped out. i put it back in and SLOWLY tried again after checkin the wiring again.

worked fine. i dont know, its all very strange :)

i do notice that when it slows down the motor quits until it hits the speed i want it at then starts again at that speed. is that odd or normal?

OK, PROBLEM:

now, if i try to change direction (by swapping output wires) it locks up again. i monkey w/it for a while and it spins freely again, smoother in one direction than the other. then if i switch them again the same thing happens. it seems to run fine after i monkey with it (remove the magnets clips and all) (well, runs fine other than humming louder than i remember it doing before)

hmmmmm...

Skaere,

First the easy ones:

Fuse sizes: 20 amps is fine. I think I have a 15.

When you slow it down, the controller does turn off the juice until the motor gets to the desired speed - smart little box ay!?

Polarity into the controller - nope don't matter.

Grounding: I'd try and find a way to ground that stuff if I were you.

Now the hard one.

That spinning problem sounds serious. Maybe a motor guy here could help. Sounds like the brushes are setting right and binding the armature. Maybe you need to stick with one direction. I'd look it over close and see if one brush mount looks different than the other,or something.

Also the motor should turn pretty easy by hand in both directions. Is that true?

Hope all this helps (I'm a novice on this stuff too.)

Steve

ok, it seems to be working ok now, as long as i stay going forward. but hell, ive never had a use for reverse anyhow. ;)

so far so good i guess.

cant ground it. none of the outlets in my house are grounded :(

if i was to have a 3 prong outlet, how would i ground the motor/controller? (i will be moving here shortly)

thanks Steve.

Erik

Back