It's all in your head

I recently decided to join the Australian Army as an infantryman. My grandfather served during WW 2 and told me that soldering is 70% mental preparation 30% skill and the rest is just luck. So I was wondering what is the best way to mentally prepare myself for anything that might come up during military service.

P.S. Yes I want to join the SAS,
:D

Congratulations on joining up! Military service is quite an experience and one that you will be glad that you did. I'm sure others on the forum with more experience than I can answer your question better but this is my advice as a former US Marine.
1. Never take it personally - unless it's about your girlfriend/wife/kids :) Even then...
2. ALWAYS maintain a good sense of humor. You CAN be too serious - not advocating that you slack on safety, training, etc.
3. Remember, it's not hazing, it's training.

Good luck.

Survivor,
You are joining a fine group. They will teach you what you need to know I have many friends that are part of your military machine. All you have to do is know what you want and be committed.
All the best mate!

Just remember, whatever you go through your Grandpa had it worse! The training in those days was a lot meaner since they (the military) knew these recruits would immediately get killed without good, tough training. I mean he KNEW he would be actively engaging in combat after basic training! Furthermore, his active duty tour was probably a lot tougher than yours will ever be since he probably engaged in combat against one tough, suicidal enemy. I salute your Grandpa.

Another case in point: My big brother was drafted into the Army during the Vietnam War. Ten years and one day later when I joined the Army, I knew failure was not an option since my brother had it a lot tougher and he got through it. I could not and I would not come home a failure!

Thanks fore everyone's advice.
I am a big strong man so the physical part of me will be able to handle it, yes I'll probably be tired and in pain but it's what's in your head that's wins the day.

Mr. CJ Caracci you mentioned that you have many friends in Australian army what's your opinion on Australian Special forces?

Mr Snickersnee your unedited post has answered most of my questions.

Mr 95Bravo when my grandfather joined the army he had no idea that as soon as he finishes his training the WW2 will brake out.:rolleyes:

Back