It's Friday! Have a great weekend!

It's easy. Cure your pr0k belly in 3 parts kosher salt (Heh!) to one part sugar in the cold, till it's firm. Wipe it off, and put it in the cold smoke till it's nice and firm and bronze. Experiment with rubs at will.

That's really all there is to it.

It's easy. Cure your pr0k belly in 3 parts kosher salt (Heh!) to one part sugar in the cold, till it's firm. Wipe it off, and put it in the cold smoke till it's nice and firm and bronze. Experiment with rubs at will.

That's really all there is to it.

That sounds classic, will do! I need to figure out the smoker still but that is easy.

For simplicity's sake, I just use my grill these days. It's a faux barrel with a chimney and dampers, which works just fine. As long as your meat isn't too close to your little smoldering fire, you'll be fine. Good project for when you're thumbing through catalogs in the heat treat shack!

For simplicity's sake, I just use my grill these days. It's a faux barrel with a chimney and dampers, which works just fine. As long as your meat isn't too close to your little smoldering fire, you'll be fine. Good project for when you're thumbing through catalogs in the heat treat shack!

That is perfect, the grill is right outside of the HT shack! I often throw wood chips in the grill and use the rack across from the burner, that sounds like a plan. I can watch temps and play around until I get it right.

My Dad is the TX BBQ master, he once had a smoker built that probably held 30 beef briskets. It was such glorious overkill, that was our yard BBQ machine!

Lately I have been way into Thai curries, I like to smoke the chicken sometimes for fun. I made Tom Yum soup today and Massaman on Thursday... I like to smoke the chicken for green curry. Fun stuff...

I often kick back in a lawn chair and enjoy watching the kilns. I usually come inside to post and get refreshments... fun times!

By the way, I liked the Ti so much I just ordered more. 1/4" Ti is just too cool... tanto pics soon!

Purple tantos? With matching CTEK? And big honkin' color-matched rivets? :D

Or will they be Pimptaniumized?

Last edited:
I have two coming up with a stonewashed finish! ...I need to stonewash them first but they are looking good!

Purple ano/purple CTEK sounds killer. I bought even more Ti too...

i bought even more ti too...

go squatch, go!!!

I'd also like one of those 30-brisket smokers, only parking it would cost about 200 bucks per month. I could probably pay for it with brisket, but who wants to work that hard? :D The Brinkmann company used to offer some really cool smokers with horizontal areas, and attached vertical columns, that rode on wrought iron wheels. They were almost the type you'd get if your neighbor welded one up for you, but mass produced. The biggest ones were a few hundred bucks, if I recall.

go squatch, go!!!

I'd also like one of those 30-brisket smokers, only parking it would cost about 200 bucks per month. I could probably pay for it with brisket, but who wants to work that hard? :D The Brinkmann company used to offer some really cool smokers with horizontal areas, and attached vertical columns, that rode on wrought iron wheels. They were almost the type you'd get if your neighbor welded one up for you, but mass produced. The biggest ones were a few hundred bucks, if I recall.

I looked those up, they look nice! It's funny when I was in TX I think about half the places had a full on trailer sized smoker.

As a kid growing up in the country we had a BBQ stand on the end of the main road. The guy must have been 90 that ran it and it was just a trailer and the pit. He always told us "I have some extra fatty ribs today" and we would ask for the lean, lol he was disappointed at first then later he would tell us "I bought some lean ribs just for you guys." He was dead serious too, thought we were funny we liked the meat on the ribs...

The other BBQ place back home that is legendary is Jaspers, they usually sell out by 1 and close for the day. They cook a certain amount and stay open until it is gone. The sauce is a bowl of drippings and you get brisket, pickles, onions, a stack of white bread and a wedge of cheddar cheese, that is traditional Texas old school style. I think they have had the same options since the 1920's.

My good buddies grandfather was a trolley operator back then, when they passed the BBQ place he would pass by with either one or two fingers up so they knew how many sandwiches to make him. He's pick them back up on the next loop...

lol they have a web site, check it... good prices too http://www.jaspersbarbecue.com/

Back