It's Friday in Beckerland

Well, it’s Friday. The Blade show has been over for five days now, and we’ve been just overwhelmed by... nothing. We haven’t seen any pictures, nor read any narrative from any source.

What happened?

Was the show a success? We don’t know. Were all the attendees sworn to secrecy for some reason? Were all cameras confiscated by someone before any attendees had a chance to use them? Again, we don’t know, because nobody’s talking.

Perhaps I was just looking forward to the reports a little too much, since I couldn’t attend myself. Perhaps unreasonably, I was expecting someone to post a report something like “Wow! I went to the KA-BAR booth to see the new Beckers, and meet the wonderful folks there. Here’s what I saw [insert narrative here], and here are the pictures.” Instead, we’ve gotten only a thunderous silence.

I know that people went to the show: I wonder what they saw? Did they get a look at the Magnum Camp? The traditional Becker line? Sexy new prototypes? A folder prototype?

We don’t know.

Hey, how about the Tweeners, huh? Did they show any? If so, what did they look like? Were they really, really cool?

Expiring minds want to know.

Nobody’s a bigger Becker backer than I am, and the silence is driving me nuts (okay, nuttier). If you were there, then how about sharing? We Beckerheads would truly like to know what happened.

allow me to help with the deafening silence.

Shush... can you hear it? I'm glad you weighed in, Bridgeman. Now we can all enjoy the silence together.:D

I just wish someone who was there would read this thread, slap themselves on the forehead, and go "Darn... I forgot to post pictures of the KA-BAR/Becker booth at Blade, for all my Becker Brothers. I better write a description, too, while I'm at it."

That's what I wish would happen, so if you were there, slap yourself in the head and... well, you know the rest.

someone did say they saw and handled the magnum camp prototype. i'm in line for one, but no firm word on production. i also really like SOMEone to weigh in on your folding concept. i think it has promise filling a niche.

someone did say they saw and handled the magnum camp prototype. i'm in line for one, but no firm word on production. i also really like SOMEone to weigh in on your folding concept. i think it has promise filling a niche.

Yes, I did hear someone say that they saw the Magnum Camp (which I would like to have). But what about the Tweeners? What about other things that might have been shown, and we don't even know about? And yes, I, too, would like to learn something about the folder, because, like you, I think it fills a niche, and could be a big seller.

I guess, we don't need to be informed. It's a need to know, only ... :(

i don't know for certain because i wasn't there and didn't get to talk to the guys, that i think we (forum members) over expected and KA-BAR, maybe due to design or prototyping problems has had to delay their plans.

hey, i dunno. i was hoping for pictures.

i bet if one searches the forum and the net, some of the bigger names in general world of fanboys posted their photo and albums... will do that myself later...

Bladite

i bet if one searches the forum and the net, some of the bigger names in general world of fanboys posted their photo and albums... will do that myself later...

Bladite

good idea. coffee first!

Bladite

I think we were all hoping for pictures, and we were all disappointed when none appeared. Not only were there no pictures, there hasn't even been a written description of what was — or wasn't — at the booth.

As far as "the bigger names in general world of fanboys" posting photos and albums, yes that's probably true... for other brands and makes of knives. It doesn't seem that any of our fanboys have done so.

I can't help but remember the great showing we had last year — in large part because of your efforts, Bladite — when we had lot's of photos and descriptions of the show, what was shown, and what would be coming later. Along with that we had Ethan and Paul weighing in, too.

This year, nothing but stony silence, which I find a little odd and somehow unsettling, in a strange sort of way.

I'm a dyed in the wool Becker fan (well, duh!) who was really looking forward to all the wonderful things coming out of the Blade show. What I got — what all of us got — was... nothing.

Maybe we'll learn something at Shot.

btw, just saying... through the miracles of serendipity, i have a LOT MORE free time...

and i had just started googling "blade show 2010" for pictures and articles... i'll probably post the good stuff here or there...

back to real content ;)

Bladite

btw, just saying... through the miracles of serendipity, i have a LOT MORE free time...

and i had just started googling "blade show 2010" for pictures and articles... i'll probably post the good stuff here or there...

back to real content ;)

Bladite

Is it a good thing or a not so good thing for you that you have more leisure time?

I checked — and found — a lot of pictures of the 2010 Blade show. With the exception of a couple of pictures of Ethan and Paul, none of it had anything to do with Becker or KA-BAR.

Hope you have better luck than I had.

dawsonbob I did'nt (or could'nt) take pictures. My camera is trashed after a wetter than normal trip to Disney this year. I have mentioned a few things to you concerning my first trip to Blade this year. It's a little unnerving to meet some of these personalities at first, but they quickly thaw out your jitters with easier than expected conversation. I got the chance to handle the Magnum Camp and was struck at first with the blade contour and relatively thin spine. I envisioned it as a helpful piece around the kitchen (in or out of doors). Beyond this I was pretty much in awe of the sheer size and scope of what Blade brings to even the most cavernous of buildings. Trips to The Kabar/Becker booth were soon followed by trips to ESEE(in my mind it will always be RAT), Busse and family, CRKnives, Rick Hinderer, Emerson, and on and on. The Spyderco booth was giving away small (barely more than an inch) functional pocketknives that were also lapel pins. These were given primarily to the youth that were in attendance. It helped to be a cute seven year old.
As I stated in an earlier thread, it was the cutlery whores 'Mustang Ranch'. Too many knife filled tables and booths, too little time and money.

dawsonbob I did'nt (or could'nt) take pictures. My camera is trashed after a wetter than normal trip to Disney this year. I have mentioned a few things to you concerning my first trip to Blade this year. It's a little unnerving to meet some of these personalities at first, but they quickly thaw out your jitters with easier than expected conversation. I got the chance to handle the Magnum Camp and was struck at first with the blade contour and relatively thin spine. I envisioned it as a helpful piece around the kitchen (in or out of doors). Beyond this I was pretty much in awe of the sheer size and scope of what Blade brings to even the most cavernous of buildings. Trips to The Kabar/Becker booth were soon followed by trips to ESEE(in my mind it will always be RAT), Busse and family, CRKnives, Rick Hinderer, Emerson, and on and on. The Spyderco booth was giving away small (barely more than an inch) functional pocketknives that were also lapel pins. These were given primarily to the youth that were in attendance. It helped to be a cute seven year old.
As I stated in an earlier thread, it was the cutlery whores 'Mustang Ranch'. Too many knife filled tables and booths, too little time and money.

I understand, RABII. If a camera doesn't work, it doesn't work. Add to that the shear number of things going on and, well, we understand.

I was just lamenting the dearth of pictures from any source, certainly not singling you out.

With so much going on, I probably would have missed more than half of it myself.:D

Back