Ivan the Terrible

...man...this thing is making Frances and Charley look like a couple of passing thunder showers. Please pray for all the people in its path...it is a solid Cat 5.

miami here. charley and frances missed us and it looks live ivan will go west as well. either way we left up the aluminum shutters because they're such a pain to get up and down. my local news station says its a cat. 4 though

Sarasota here... Incoming.

Last report I saw indicated that we were directly in Ivan's path. :eek: :(

3 in 4 weeks. This is getting to be too much to handle. Plus, I call in to my job (rant-worthy) to say, look, I'm not coming in, and I'll make up the time next week. They say, hey, what if Ivan hits and we're closed on monday and tuesday. People, I work for a finance company that works with the SBA. If ivan Hits, my house may be leveled, and I'm sure not going to work. Beyond the fact that they've been screwing me around since the day I got there. I'm already looking for a new job, and they know that. Anyway, all of us FL members stay safe, and do some field testing of your knives! Hopefully, you'll only need them to open cans, and spread peanut butter :D . It's headed for Tampa bay right now, I hope to god it misses anyplace that's populated. Or, it could Hit New Orleans-then I could get my son for some time. anyway, my rambling is over.--joe

I don't think we have to tell you to be careful, you've all got to be experts by now. Don't do anything rash, and we'll all pray this one fizzles out into the ocean soon.

This is a great article that discusses the reliability of storm path predictions. I found it interesting that it supports my theory that predictions on Andrew and Charley reflect that forecasters can err in the range of 70 miles or even more. I said in a previous post that I thought the path prediction of Frances was "spot on." It turns out that it was wrong by 30 miles. Hopefully, this reflects progress more so than luck. 30 miles really isn't too bad. Hopefully, your not in the zone of danger of course. :eek:

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/09/11/ivan09-11-2004.html

I wouldnt call charley a passing thunder shower :mad: , Charley destroyed my town and left me with over $40,000 worth of damage. Charleys strongest guests were measured at over 180 miles per hour. It took several years for before researcher changed Hurricane Andrews rating from a category 4 storm to a 5, I'm sure Charley will also be re-categorized to a 5.

Ron

Ivan is approximating the path of Camille which became a Hurricane at approximately Ivan's current location, and went ashore a little east of New Orleans. Ivan of course, was at Hurricane strength way before the current location. It wouldn't be a surprise if Ivan missed Florida entirely, given it's westerly movement. Not that anyone wishes it on any city on the Gulf Coast, but you Floridians deserve a break. Let's hope it fizzles in the Gulf. Hang in there folks.

The worst part of these storms is that they hit tiny islands where the people really have no place to hide. Floridians can drive up to the Georgia hills, but where do Grenadans or Jamaicans go?

Myakka said:
I wouldnt call charley a passing thunder shower :mad: , Charley destroyed my town and left me with over $40,000 worth of damage. Charleys strongest guests were measured at over 180 miles per hour. It took several years for before researcher changed Hurricane Andrews rating from a category 4 storm to a 5, I'm sure Charley will also be re-categorized to a 5.

Ron

Sorry, sorry!! It was just a metaphor...geez.

Back