ivory micarta question

rpn

Gold Member
Those ivory handles look fantastic, I was just wondering how they hold up and wear?

Thoughts? Experience? A bushfinger with the ivory and black bolster would be...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My understanding is that it is ivory paper micarta. I have a fair amount of experience with black paper and I can say, while it's not as tough as canvas or linen micarta it should hold up just fine. I also love the feel of paper micarta in hand. It is buttery smooth and with Andy's handle contours should be a dream.

Any idea on how the color ages and changes with use?

I have seen ivory micarta on Busse knives before that looks just as good ten years later as the day it was made. AFAIK the ivory hold up well in the color department but I have no personal experience with it.

I have a Bark River Mini-Canadian in Antique Ivory Micarta. I carry and use this knife almost everyday. It has held up very well and has not changed color in about 2 years. It did get a few scratches on it, but I just sanded them out starting out with 220grit and working up to 1200 grit sandpaper (I get my super fine sand paper from www.stewmac.com guitar supply). I hand sand with a hard ruber block backing up the paper. Be careful when you sand near the pins and the blade. The micarta will sand down faster than the metal and you can end up with the metal raised up over the micarta. I hope that makes sense!

I think the Ivory Micarta looks great on Andy's knives. Of course we all know that he has a great eye for making fantastic feeling and looking knife handles.

Paper micarta (like any other micartas) is tough as hell.

Durability I figured is a beast...the color holding up is what I wondered about.

Last edited:
Back