Izula cord wrap safety technique

Finally, I found a away to safely and easily secure my Izula when wrapping. Cut a length of paracord about 3' or so. With the knife sheathed handle up, drape the cord across the large cutout near the choil/jimping. Thread both ends of the cord in opposite directions through the bottom sheath lanyard hole and back through the large handle cut out and again through the bottom lanyard hole to double loop. Pull both ends tight and sit on the ends: one strand under each thigh. This will put the sheath between your legs upright and keep all appendages and jewels safe. This dawned upon me while reapplying bandaids this morning:)

From now on, I will stick with wrapping the blade in tape. If your technique works for you, great. But after thinking I was "safe" by leaving it in the sheath, I'd rather not lacerate the family jewels next time to find out I was wrong. :D

Essentially you are gdouble-knotting the knife to the sheath so there is no way for a premature Izula ejection plus no sticky residue to clean off the blade.

I've re-wrapped the Izula many times. The only thing you need to do is keep the blade in the sheath. It has never popped off before. I never saw the issue with it :confused:

If the sheath pops off when you are wrapping...
doingitwrong.jpg

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with the Izula coming out of the sheath. I can't figure out what people are doing to make it pop out and get cut. I did let a guy look at mine over the weekend and he said it was scary sharp, right before he cut himself with it.:eek: Good thing there was a medic standing there to laugh at him.:D

mlrs

I wrapped my Izula without the sheath on. I just sat at a table and let the point sit on the wood, with the edge pointed away toward me as much as I can.

It might not seem safer but my fingers never even came close to the edge, and since the knife isn't in the sheath, there's no worry of it "flying out" when you go to cinch the knot up.

Anyway, it worked for me and I didn't feel like it was dangerous... Like I said my fingers barely ever came close to the edge.

Really though, just taping the edge is probably the safest.

I tape the blade using painters tape. Protects me without leaving any residue behind. :thumbup:

I bet painters tape does work well. I just never have it around. This method works great if you only have paracord. The Izula is just too sharp to wrap safely without some sort of protection.

I bet painters tape does work well. I just never have it around. This method works great if you only have paracord. The Izula is just too sharp to wrap safely without some sort of protection.

I'm going to repeat this every time it comes up.

Tie your final knots DOWN

5270609928_e0728768df_z.jpg

Had my Izzy pop out of the sheath while re-wrapping it. I thought it wasn't possible either, but I'll be damned if that Izzy didn't want a taste of my blood and jumped out of the sheath and nibbled on my thumb. I keep it muzzled (taped) while wrapping now.

I've re-wrapped the Izula many times. The only thing you need to do is keep the blade in the sheath. It has never popped off before. I never saw the issue with it.

it has happened, more than once. i've had my izula pop out a time or two. just re-wrapped mine the other day, and taped it so as to not need stitches. better safe than bleeding.

I put a zip tie through the bottom of the handle cutout and connect it to the bottom whole on the sheath... doesnt really move..

Yeah, i would rather connect it to the sheat than tape the blade. It just seems a hell of a lot easier and a hell of a lot safer. I do the same as yodelayhoo, but with paracord instead of a zip tie.

Back