Izula vs Izula 2

Hi all, i'm sorry if this thread ever has been posted. I'm gonna get my first Esee and i have narrowed it down to the izula and the izula 2. I know the izula 2 is 1/2 inch longer at the handles, but what would u guys get? I've read the forums and see that many people like the longer handles, however it seems like the izula still more popular than the izula 2.
Which of it would u recommend?

Well, the Izula is more popular because more people have it.

It may sound silly, but you should try to measure how wide your palm is, and how long some of the handles are on your knife ( making sure to measure from where your hands are on the handle and not from the hilt to end or something ) that you like the grip on. The Izula handle is 3.5 and the II is of course 4".

My palm happens to be pretty much exactly 3.5" wide, and I find the Izula rests pretty nicely with my pinky finger resting right across the hole in the pommel, or I can hold the knife a little forward and rest the butt of the knife up against the inside of my pinky finger. I really like this grip, but the handle doesn't extent out past my hand which is what I think most people find more comfortable.

Ok, my palm is around 3.5'' wide too. Hmm, izula 2 is cheaper than izula considering that mircata scales are included =/

I haven't picked up an Izzy 2 yet, but my Izzy is quite comfortable. Why not get both?

Frozy, don't worry about the Izula's, just buy a Junglas instead . . . :)
My wife has two of them, a pink one from me for her victory & Christmas gift, & another one from one of the great members on this forum. I personally would get the Izula-II because my hands are rather large, & both of hers have a tendency to "twist" in my palm if I try to cut or apply pressure. You might want to see if there is a sporting goods store or maybe a week-end gun show that you could find & try both of them in your own hands. Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.
Be safe.

My palm happens to be pretty much exactly 3.5" wide, and I find the Izula rests pretty nicely with my pinky finger resting right across the hole in the pommel...

this is exactly the same for me. i find the izula to be really comfortable in my hand. i like it with and without the cord wrap, but i don't think i would want scales on it. all reasons i haven't tried the 2.

i understand some people want more to grab, but that's why you carry a bigger knife. the izula is small and it's supposed to be. i'd rather carry a second knife with a longer blade for more serious cutting. if i can't get enough of a grip on the izula to cut into something, it's probably the wrong blade for the job, not the wrong handle. (btw, this isn't a problem you should encounter in an edc type of setting. the izula is a very capable blade.)

that being said, it's all a matter of preference. it's important to be comfortable with your tools.

I like the 2 but also the izula. U will probably get both eventually anyway. The izula wrapped or izula 2 with micarta. If I had to choose I would go 2 the longer handle and grips is nice. But I'd u r looking to spend a tad less and sleek (with para ) the izula. Can't go wrong either way.

Jungas? That's overkill! Lol. I stay in Singapore so it's unfortunate that there's no gun show or knife show, or even an Esee dealer here =(
So whatever i purchase online is a gamble for me and i want to place a more careful gamble on whether i need that extra .5'' of handles. That's why i need ur opinions =)

although both knives have the same blade the carry very differently for such a small handle difference. you have a few more options with the izula, cord wrap, bare, micarta scales. just kind of depends on how your going to carry and use it the izula2 carries like a bigger knife because of the full scales.

i like and use both of them but the izula is easier to stick in my pocket and forget.

take it easy
cricket

I prefer the izzy 2 because I have very large hands.
OTOH, the extra 1/2" of handle means I have to be careful how it's sitting in my pocket when I go to crouch or sit down, or the handle jabs me -- I don't have that problem with the original.

Having recently purchased a II, I must say I quite like the way it fits in my hand (the ring in the handle rests right in line with my pinky). That said, inever held the original. However, I will say that are trying both the micarta scales and a paracord wrap, I prefer the wrap as it is slimmer, fitting more easily in my pocket while still providing an excellent grip.

Regarding popularity, it seems the II is a fairly new product while the original has been around longer leaving people a lot more time to purhase that one over the II.

Just my thoughts, either way I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

Last edited:
i like the izzy 2 more, especially with larger hands. plus, with the full length scales, it feels more comfortable in my hand

Izzy II is in orange. I like them both, you really can't go wrong.

5232941451_6ce8ecbd42_b.jpg

i like the izzy 2 more, especially with larger hands. plus, with the full length scales, it feels more comfortable in my hand

If you aren't used to skeletonized handles or would prefer the micarta get a II. I agree with the above poster....the II tends to sit in my hand a bit better.....then again, I haven't tried putting on the aftermarket micarta scales or a paracord wrap to fill out the hand. I want to try the Stryder wrap on my Hunter's/Safety Orange Izula to see how it fills out.

I too am on the fence between the two...so let us know which one you get! I plan on making this my primary river knife so I need to get my hands on them to see which handle feels the best.

i have an Izula and an Izula II. if you have small hands then the Izula may be the way to go. for me i think the Izula II is WAY more comfortable in the hand. i did get the micarta scales for the Izula and it really did improve the feel of the knife. really you cant go wrong either way.

I have not held the Izula II yet, but it sure looks like it would fit my hand a lot better than the Izula. The only reason I am sticking with the Izula for now is that it conceals easier, etc. I have worn a 3 around my neck before the Izula came out..I am big and tall...but that only worked in cooler weather for me.:D

I love my Izzy. Not sure if I'll get an IzzyII anytime soon. Maybe after a 5 and a 6 and maybe a 3.

Back