1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

J. Doyle inspired Koa Hunter

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by samuraistuart, Jul 22, 2019.

1. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    John Doyle has made a few hunting knives that really captured my eye and inspired me to finally get off my keester and make a hidden tang knife with guard, a first for me. His knives are works of art, especially the handle and guard work. Anyway, blade steel is 61HRC A-2 tool steel with some serious carbide banding! Reminds me of "wootz" steel. Handle is made from a decent piece of Koa. It's not a killer piece of wood, but it looks nice enough. Thanks for checking it out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Nice job! When you mentioned John I was looking for a coined spacer... next time.

3. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    looking good ! i like the banding.

4. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    Thanks guys! Richard....exactly. Coined spacers are the next thing I plan on adding to my knowledge base.

5. bwlacey

bwlacey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Very nicely done, Stuart!

Walt