J&R Dodge Juste Judicato - double shear steel carving knife

A recent thrift shop find, and bought for a fart and three marbles (dutch expression, meaning for next to nothing)
From research i learned that J&R Dodge Sheffield didn't manufacture anything themselves, but instead bought high quality cutlery, razors and tools from well established Sheffield makers and resold these under their Juste Judicato (Choose Right) brand, for instance in two stores they owned in Amsterdam.
That is most likely how this carving knife ended up in the Netherlands.
Back in the day in this country J&R Dodge were known for the quality of the double-shear steel carving knives they offered for sale.

Specifications & measurements:

Overall length: 13.07 inch (33,2 cm)
Blade length: 8.07 inch (20,5 cm)
Blade thickness: 2,29 mm at the start of the swedge tapering to 0,44 mm at 1,0 cm before the point
Thickness behind the edge: 0.25 mm at the start of the swedge tapering to 0,16 mm at 1,0 cm before the point
Steel type: double shear steel
Handle material: black horn
Weight: 128,4 grams
The knife is handle heavy

Last edited:
The sequence in manufacturing seems to have been like this, where each metal type was made from the previous one: wrought iron > blister steel > shear steel > double shear steel > triple shear steel.
Carbon was added to wrought iron to produce blister steel, which in turn was made into shear steel.
Shear steel was already quite hard, and could be broken (or sheared) into pieces, which were then restacked, rewelded, and reforged into double shear steel, a more refined version.
Double shear steel itself could also be broken up, restacked, rewelded, and reforged into triple shear steel.

While none of the above were as refined as crucible cast steel, both shear steel and it's more refined versions double shear steel and triple shear steel were sought after for specific types of cutlery because of the toothy edges these steels would take, and which among others would work most excellent on all kinds of meat.
Where shear steel seems to have been known for it's very toothy edges, double shear steel edges were a bit finer toothy, while triple shear steel would have had the finest toothy edge.
Butchers in the old days highly prized these knives (in the Netherlands specifically the double shear steel ones), and specimens in good condition like this one are very difficult to find.

K kwackster

I don't remember specifically where I sourced the info at the time, but I do remember researching the topic as I was curious about the history of what was available during the period. It was the best information I could come up with from books and online sources.

Engraving depicting the shearing of blistered steel to produce a higher quality steel - Sheffield.
The shearers sat in swinging seats so that they could manoeuvre the bars being beaten under the hammers.
Dated 19th century

Last edited:
I wonder what the wear characteristics/edge holding would be? I have a set of tsubosan hardness testing files on the way to me that I'd love to try on that.
I specifically bought a Gregory bros knife (made a lot of butchery knives too) as they were seemingly well known for using double shear. This knife has a very hard steel and its edge holding is on par with modern day vg10 despite being easier to sharpen.
Be interesting to see what would happen if you etched your example.

Btw you might find this interesting
Hopefully it's OK to link that?

ed_is_dead ed_is_dead :

I've already sharpened the knife on the Tormek SB-250 Blackstone and deburred it on the leather wheel, and from that experience i can say that the steel is quite hard (guesstimate in the 63-64 HRC range), the burr comes off in tiny bits instead of a long wire, and the resulting edge is armhair shaving sharp with an incredible amount of bite (even though the grooves from the (SiC) stone were polished away slowly by the 1.0 micron diamond compound on the leather wheel, as can be seen through my Victorinox loupe.
So far i've only used it to cut up 6 large tomatos on my Zanussi HDPE cutting board, but it is definitely going to see more kitchen use in the future.
After all: what better way to honor the Sheffield makers than by using the knife ?

Etching might be a possibility, but that would also mean losing the current old patina, which at the moment still forms a nice contrast with it's new edge.
But if i decide to do a hand regrind of the entire blade later on i will try some lemon juice as etching fluid.

Did you notice in the last picture the weld area that joins the double shear blade with what is likely a softer steel tang ?
I've read that is how many old Sheffield knives were made, and it is known as "the cutler's thumbprint".

Last edited:
ed_is_dead ed_is_dead :

I've already sharpened the knife on the Tormek SB-250 Blackstone and deburred it on the leather wheel, and from that experience i can say that the steel is quite hard (guesstimate in the 63-64 HRC range), the burr comes off in tiny bits instead of a long wire, and the resulting edge is armhair shaving sharp with an incredible amount of bite (even though the grooves from the (SiC) stone were polished away slowly by the 1.0 micron diamond compound on the leather wheel, as can be seen through my Victorinox loupe.
So far i've only used it to cut up 6 large tomatos on my Zanussi HDPE cutting board, but it is definitely going to see more kitchen use in the future.
After all: what better way to honor the Sheffield makers than by using the knife ?

Etching might be a possibility, but that would also mean losing the current old patina, which at the moment still forms a nice contrast with it's new edge.
But if i decide to do a hand regrind of the entire blade later on i will try some lemon juice as etching fluid.

Did you notice in the last picture the weld area that joins the double shear blade with what is likely a softer steel tang ?
I've read that is how many old Sheffield knives were made.
Delighted to hear that you sharpened it and are using it. As you say, it was made a tool and still being used as one celebrates it and its history. What a great piece to carve a family roast with.
I faced a similar situation with my knife, I did not want to polish back the patina but after reading this thread I'm very tempted as I'm guessing double shear should show up in the etching with a pattern?

ed_is_dead ed_is_dead :

Even without an etching a layered pattern is already clearly visible, best seen if you click on picture #9 and then click on it again which enlarges it even more to fill the entire computer screen.
Both in that pic as well as in real life i can see a pattern of ever so slightly "ribbed" lines running only parallel with the edge, together with a another pattern of very short & narrow black lines (actually voids) also running only lengthwise, but more higher up on the blade.
My guess is that because of the taper being forged into the blade it shows less of these voids the closer you get to the edge.

ed_is_dead ed_is_dead : thx, i found that link already, but it seems the footage can only be seen from inside the UK.
At least so far i can't get it to work from within the Netherlands.

The knife really is a delight to work with and it gets used at least several times a week for cutting various types of meat, as well as softer breads and large apple pies.
It's kept sticky sharp freehand on a DMT red.

Part of the ingredients for an old school beef stew:

Probably the best apple crumble pie we ever had.
(made by a Chef in return for sharpening two knives for him)

Back