JACK-2

Anyone else see the latest JACK-2? Very unique looking, I like it. Appears to have a 2-piece blade (not sure how I feel about that) and sport a bushing system. Can't wait to see more details and if this will become a production model. Sounds like Reate will have some at Blade.

rK8LCAg.jpg

Video
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByQLAI6Adxr/?igshid=1p0yfxbq3fi71

No one. ever: “I’ve always wanted an integral, one piece milled handle and a two piece blade.”

LOL - it's certainly a "unique" combination. It will have collector appeal like a lot of unusual knives. I don't get the satin finish on one side and mirror finish on the other side or that giant pivot assembly. Maybe it's something collectors have been dying for and no one ever told me?? :D

Seems like the best knives of reate and WE are the ones with an American or European designer. The one big exception for me was the JACK. Might be good for these folks to get some buyer feedback for upcoming models but I guess also limited run sizes allow feedback to be determined by dollars sold. But JACKv2 is a pass for me.

The designer is Jack - David Dengs brother. Besides the JACK he also designed the Wave which is comparable to the Shiro Neon.
The Wave is one of my favorite knives.

With every designer - you’ll like some and not like some.

Thanks for the YouTube video Mo2!
Wow. That really is a different design. Gotta give it to Reate for producing bold models. I don't see myself picking one up, the nonsymetrical blade finish and thick spine for attaching the blade don't do it for me.

Reactions: Mo2
The two different finishes on one blade was just a try-out on a prototype of what these options would look like.
This will not be a production option.
This was the info from David Deng at the Blade Show when I asked him about that knife having different blade finishes on either side of the blade.

Thanks for the YouTube video Mo2!
Wow. That really is a different design. Gotta give it to Reate for producing bold models. I don't see myself picking one up, the nonsymetrical blade finish and thick spine for attaching the blade don't do it for me.
As the guy said above they were just showing off blade finishes. That was a prototype. Most people will never use these knives for cutting so yea. But they appear to be ground very thin behind the edge... Dunno for sure though. That thick spine isn't a huge issue for anyone buying one. But yea.

One piece handle (integral) with a two piece blade..... all the benefits of an integral are lost in the two piece blade. Its purely a gimmick knife, but it's cool and different at least.

This is another k4 for Reate, simply a showoff collector piece that says hey look what we can do. And damn if they can't for one hell of a value usually! Yes the integral and split blade would seem like they cancel each other out, but then again do they? Think about it, what points of a knife take the most stress, when used correctly as a knife and not a pry bar, hatchet, or pump handle for a bottle jack? Yeah the blade, specifically the edge and spine, therefore do we actually need a folding knife handle that is one solid piece of anything? No probably not. It may be a slight improvement if you happen to be batonning with your folding knife , yeah emergency situations do happen, and happen to strike the handle of the knife while swinging. Integrals probably do prevent more debris from building up as quickly as say an open construction design with standoffs or a knife with a super short floating backspacer but then once it does it's usually more difficult to maintain even when there are less parts. It's just more difficult to attempt to assemble an integral bc of the fact that most require the user to attempt to align the blade hole, handle hole on both sides, and slide the pivot in while also trying to either hold the set of bearings or washers in place on each side or sliding them in one at a time while slowly sliding the pivot through from that side, all while trying to do all of that other alignment lol...It can be a struggle especially for those that aren't somewhat mechanically inclined, yes I'm aware the WE Tyche integral was a solution to most if not all those problems, ingenious design, but we've only seen that one model have that type of pivot construction to my knowledge. So back to my original point, since there's probably no practical reason to have an integral handle, yes they're freaking awesome, but since that's the case then just imagine the jack 2 doesn't even have an integral handle, let's focus on the split blade. Once again, while using a knife as a knife, what are the pros and cons to this particular part of the design.

The biggest pro is the option to have multiple blades (replacements) and multiple blade shapes (that fit the same knife handle). This gives us fanatics the option to customize! Yeah I know we hate that, just like none of us own ar-15s that match our knives and vice versa bc we hate them as well since they're so customizable...

Options who the hell wants that??? What, do we live in a day and age where there's options presented to us multiple times a day and instantly? Man how lucky would we be if that were the case?!! Alright, sarcasm aside, blade shape options guys. Imagine having a perfectly ergonomic knife, that fits your hand as perfectly as it can (not saying the jack 2 fits all but this is possible down the road) and then having the option to make that knife into almost any cutting utensil you could ever want?!

Would be amazing right, you users out there can see where I'm coming from? You have the part of the knife that interacts with you, the handle, and it's already perfect. All you have to do is simply change 3/4 of the other half, the blade, and you can have a knife for food prep, for utility style cuts, for slicing, for stabbing, for skinning, for camping, etc... Nearly endless possibilities and you're keeping the heart of it the same, the most important part from an end use standpoint, that handle that interacts with you.

Yes it's the most important thing and I believe we miss that alot of the times, just how important that part is. Yes the blade is what does the work, but who among us wants to use a super slicey knife blade that's attached to a 4 inch piece of 2x4 wood with rusty nails sticking out?

Sure it may work, but it's gonna hurt like hell! Yes, an extreme example, but a non-ergonomic knife can be so uncomfortable to use that it's almost always the fastest reason a knife user sells a knife. No I don't have statistics to back that up, would love to see some if they even existed but ask yourself or ask a knife friend and see what they say.

The cons are somewhat more obvious, loss of bolts, blades, broken blade inserts, etc... But all replaceable parts guys. It may not be seen now, may not be taken advantage of now, and we may be using laser knifes to cut with 30 years from now and it not even matter, but this could be a huge innovation for the production knife world.

This is another k4 for Reate, simply a showoff collector piece that says hey look what we can do. And damn if they can't for one hell of a value usually! Yes the integral and split blade would seem like they cancel each other out, but then again do they? Think about it, what points of a knife take the most stress, when used correctly as a knife and not a pry bar, hatchet, or pump handle for a bottle jack? Yeah the blade, specifically the edge and spine, therefore do we actually need a folding knife handle that is one solid piece of anything? No probably not. It may be a slight improvement if you happen to be batonning with your folding knife , yeah emergency situations do happen, and happen to strike the handle of the knife while swinging. Integrals probably do prevent more debris from building up as quickly as say an open construction design with standoffs or a knife with a super short floating backspacer but then once it does it's usually more difficult to maintain even when there are less parts. It's just more difficult to attempt to assemble an integral bc of the fact that most require the user to attempt to align the blade hole, handle hole on both sides, and slide the pivot in while also trying to either hold the set of bearings or washers in place on each side or sliding them in one at a time while slowly sliding the pivot through from that side, all while trying to do all of that other alignment lol...It can be a struggle especially for those that aren't somewhat mechanically inclined, yes I'm aware the WE Tyche integral was a solution to most if not all those problems, ingenious design, but we've only seen that one model have that type of pivot construction to my knowledge. So back to my original point, since there's probably no practical reason to have an integral handle, yes they're freaking awesome, but since that's the case then just imagine the jack 2 doesn't even have an integral handle, let's focus on the split blade. Once again, while using a knife as a knife, what are the pros and cons to this particular part of the design.

The biggest pro is the option to have multiple blades (replacements) and multiple blade shapes (that fit the same knife handle). This gives us fanatics the option to customize! Yeah I know we hate that, just like none of us own ar-15s that match our knives and vice versa bc we hate them as well since they're so customizable...

Options who the hell wants that??? What, do we live in a day and age where there's options presented to us multiple times a day and instantly? Man how lucky would we be if that were the case?!! Alright, sarcasm aside, blade shape options guys. Imagine having a perfectly ergonomic knife, that fits your hand as perfectly as it can (not saying the jack 2 fits all but this is possible down the road) and then having the option to make that knife into almost any cutting utensil you could ever want?!

Would be amazing right, you users out there can see where I'm coming from? You have the part of the knife that interacts with you, the handle, and it's already perfect. All you have to do is simply change 3/4 of the other half, the blade, and you can have a knife for food prep, for utility style cuts, for slicing, for stabbing, for skinning, for camping, etc... Nearly endless possibilities and you're keeping the heart of it the same, the most important part from an end use standpoint, that handle that interacts with you.

Yes it's the most important thing and I believe we miss that alot of the times, just how important that part is. Yes the blade is what does the work, but who among us wants to use a super slicey knife blade that's attached to a 4 inch piece of 2x4 wood with rusty nails sticking out?

Sure it may work, but it's gonna hurt like hell! Yes, an extreme example, but a non-ergonomic knife can be so uncomfortable to use that it's almost always the fastest reason a knife user sells a knife. No I don't have statistics to back that up, would love to see some if they even existed but ask yourself or ask a knife friend and see what they say.

The cons are somewhat more obvious, loss of bolts, blades, broken blade inserts, etc... But all replaceable parts guys. It may not be seen now, may not be taken advantage of now, and we may be using laser knifes to cut with 30 years from now and it not even matter, but this could be a huge innovation for the production knife world.

To each heir own... I personally feel if you're going to highlight the customizability of a knife you should run the theme through the whole knife: 2 piece handle with standoffs, scale options and a two piece blade.

When I raced BMX in the 90s 3 piece cranks were stronger than 1 piece. If that's your premise run with it but don't mix ice cream flavors here. Integral has its benefits and a changeable blade does too. Don't make those two things try to mix like oil and water.

that's my 2 cents at least. Like you said it's a show knife, cool but it's pretty much a gimmicky knife for most purposes.

The cheap 2 piece blade knives that we use for field dressing game are good because they're cheap and don't require sharpening, also you can throw the blade away when you're done dressing an elk. Do you honestly think anyone is going to clean an elk with a jack 2? How many people have used their jack 1 to do more than cut an apple?

To each heir own... I personally feel if you're going to highlight the customizability of a knife you should run the theme through the whole knife: 2 piece handle with standoffs, scale options and a two piece blade.

When I raced BMX in the 90s 3 piece cranks were stronger than 1 piece. If that's your premise run with it but don't mix ice cream flavors here. Integral has its benefits and a changeable blade does too. Don't make those two things try to mix like oil and water.

that's my 2 cents at least. Like you said it's a show knife, cool but it's pretty much a gimmicky knife for most purposes.

The cheap 2 piece blade knives that we use for field dressing game are good because they're cheap and don't require sharpening, also you can throw the blade away when you're done dressing an elk. Do you honestly think anyone is going to clean an elk with a jack 2? How many people have used their jack 1 to do more than cut an apple?

In my original post I tried to explain that in my opinion, there really is no to very little significant advantage to an integral handle, sure they're cool as hell I love them and if I had unlimited funds the first thing I'd do is try to buy every high end integral ever made lol. Also, I believe that the split/two piece blade is not mainly for the ability for it to be easily replaced when dull or possibly broken (use your knife like a knife!), mainly bc let's remember, we're talking about some of the highest of high end blade steels with really good edge wear resistance, not the cheap 440 or 8cr or whatever Walmarts replaceable blade skinning knife happens to have and secondly because they're not going to be cheap. When Reate did the OEM work for Mike Nguyen's Kaizen split blade, aka the OG split blade design, he offered different blade shapes as an additional purchase, $175 if I remember correctly...think sheepsfoot, clip point, tanto, etc...you had the ability to not only choose your own blade shape for your midtech knife but had the ability to have multiple shapes and change them within a few minutes time.

I believe that the option to choose and switch your favorite knife's blade shape and even blade steel can definitely be a huuuuge (pronounced like the Don would) innovation if it's shared within the community and knife companies, able to be freely used and if it's taken advantage of and not overlooked.

Imagine your absolute favorite knife, for whatever reason...design aesthetics, performance, weight, whatever the reason and now imagine that you can change blade shapes to fit your various tasks or blade steels. EDC one day, maybe a 20cv wharny, going diving on the weekend, h1 or lc200n spear point... Nearly endless possibilities in my opinion

In my original post I tried to explain that in my opinion, there really is no to very little significant advantage to an integral handle, sure they're cool as hell I love them and if I had unlimited funds the first thing I'd do is try to buy every high end integral ever made lol. Also, I believe that the split/two piece blade is not mainly for the ability for it to be easily replaced when dull or possibly broken (use your knife like a knife!), mainly bc let's remember, we're talking about some of the highest of high end blade steels with really good edge wear resistance, not the cheap 440 or 8cr or whatever Walmarts replaceable blade skinning knife happens to have and secondly because they're not going to be cheap. When Reate did the OEM work for Mike Nguyen's Kaizen split blade, aka the OG split blade design, he offered different blade shapes as an additional purchase, $175 if I remember correctly...think sheepsfoot, clip point, tanto, etc...you had the ability to not only choose your own blade shape for your midtech knife but had the ability to have multiple shapes and change them within a few minutes time.

I believe that the option to choose and switch your favorite knife's blade shape and even blade steel can definitely be a huuuuge (pronounced like the Don would) innovation if it's shared within the community and knife companies, able to be freely used and if it's taken advantage of and not overlooked.

Imagine your absolute favorite knife, for whatever reason...design aesthetics, performance, weight, whatever the reason and now imagine that you can change blade shapes to fit your various tasks or blade steels. EDC one day, maybe a 20cv wharny, going diving on the weekend, h1 or lc200n spear point... Nearly endless possibilities in my opinion

All great points and I agree with the premise. I dont think thr Jack 2 checks those boxes for me but it would be nice to see Reate do something that is truly customizable like you're saying. My liong mah warrior 2 v2 is an amazing knife by Reate, so much so I wish I had a drop point instead of a Tanto.

Back