Jani-song out overseas, but when in the USA?

So now that the Jani-song is in production and for sale overseas, what is being done to get them manufactured in the USA so that we can buy them here for the states that allow ownership and/or carry? What are some of the hurdles, if there are any, that is preventing the production of the Jani-song in the Golden facility? I remember when the limited numbers hit production and went for sale years and years ago. I've been following the Jani-song saga since that time. I've also had the privilege of speaking with Michael Janich on a few occasions. I really want this thing produced here.

"Janisong is intended ONLY for sales outside the United States. The sales and distribution of the JaniSong are subject to the restrictions listed below. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS to these policies."

• The JaniSong and all its key components are manufactured in Taiwan.
• Because of the nature of its mechanical function, the JaniSong cannot be legally imported into the United States.
• JaniSong knives must not, under any circumstances, be returned to Spyderco’s U.S. headquarters.
• Spyderco’s sales of the JaniSong will be limited to international dealers and distributors only. Spyderco will not accept orders for direct retail sales.
• All sales of the JaniSong will be processed separately by Spyderco’s representatives in Taiwan and shipped directly to the buyer. Separate shipping and handling charges will apply.
• It is the buyer’s responsibility to research and comply with all applicable laws governing the importation, ownership, and possession of the JaniSong knife in their jurisdiction.
• Spyderco is not responsible for the loss, seizure, or confiscation of JaniSong knives by customs, law enforcement, or other authorities resulting from the actual or attempted purchase, importation, possession, ownership, or resale of this product.
• All returns and warranty claims related to JaniSong knives must be processed ONLY through Spyderco’s authorized representative in your country of residence.
• Spyderco dealers, distributors, and other resellers are required to abide by all the restrictions outlined above. Violation of these restrictions may result in the termination of your reseller account with Spyderco.

25df77e73ee282d387304f010fff94af_zps3c6bd25f.jpg

What limited numbers going up for sale are you talking about? It's brand new, just came out. I know there was a non-Spyderco version but that was with a different company.

Sal has mentioned the possibility of manufacturing some in Golden somewhere down the line. However, given the hoops Spyderco is forced to jump through when it comes to selling autos and balis, I'm not sure that will ever happen.

What limited numbers going up for sale are you talking about? It's brand new, just came out. I know there was a non-Spyderco version but that was with a different company.
You answered your own question.

I know there was a non-Spyderco version but that was with a different company.

The Janisong was first invented when Janich was still with Blackhawk, but the early models were of poor quality and it never went into full production, much less distribution.

Not sure why RamZar posted that. I already knew this, hence my posting.

The old Blackhawk Jani-song was not of poor quality. I have handled it. Michael Janich himself mailed me his Jani-song to play with for a week. The story is that I used to message him on the spyderco forums. I asked if he would bring his to show me at Blade Show one year. He totally forgot and being the upstanding citizen that he is, agreed to mail it to me. The fit and finish was pretty amazing. It was definitely not poor quality. I thanked him by putting a mirror polished edge on it before mailing it back to him.

He posted that because he probably didn't know how much you knew and thought it would be helpful. The knife just hit the market, so it's probably going to be a while until they get an idea on how well it's selling. I would imagine an American made Janisong is years away if at all.

The old Blackhawk Jani-song was not of poor quality. I have handled it. Michael Janich himself mailed me his Jani-song to play with for a week. The story is that I used to message him on the spyderco forums. I asked if he would bring his to show me at Blade Show one year. He totally forgot and being the upstanding citizen that he is, agreed to mail it to me. The fit and finish was pretty amazing. It was definitely not poor quality. I thanked him by putting a mirror polished edge on it before mailing it back to him.

Forgive my imprecision. IIRC Janich posted that the production models were of poor quality and Blackhawk abandoned the project. The prototype he demonstrated looked as solid as any quality piece on the market.

If it's any consolation, it's really hard to find the Janisong even outside the US. I've searched in many internet stores, but I couldn't find it. Here in Italy a knife like that is totally legal to buy and own (not to carry), but I'm losing hope of finding it. Pretty sad that such an interesting desing is going to have a hard time selling.
If someone has any idea, please help :)

If it's any consolation, it's really hard to find the Janisong even outside the US. I've searched in many internet stores, but I couldn't find it. Here in Italy a knife like that is totally legal to buy and own (not to carry), but I'm losing hope of finding it. Pretty sad that such an interesting desing is going to have a hard time selling.
If someone has any idea, please help :)

Sent you PM where you can buy it.

There are about 50 of them here in South Africa. I got 2 in stock, and one sold already.
Beautiful knife, but not cheap here. Retail is about $300. Still deciding if I am buying the last one for myself :)

The legality issues and production issues are keeping it too expensive. Probably looking at like $400 after any fees to get one into the states. While if spyderco released it nationwide it would probably have a MSRP of $250 ish. Not really worth trying to obtain at this moment when there is still the possibility they can get manufactured here and plus prices will drop as production of them continue and make they're way into the states. Nice knife but its probably only consumer friendly for the Taiwan market. It's too new and you can see spydercos strict policies aren't making it very consumer friendly for any other market then they intend it for. It's like official firmware on electronics, they just region locked us.

First we had to see if we could make it properly. Previous attempts weren't there. Then we had to go through many legal hoops to make sure we can do this legally and what steps had to be taken. We managed to pull it off and get some into the market.
That in itself was an achievement that required a lot of time and attention from Michael, Eric, Peter, lawyers, Kelly, Lisa, the Taiwan maker and Taiwan distributors and me.

sal

First we had to see if we could make it properly. Previous attempts weren't there. Then we had to go through many legal hoops to make sure we can do this legally and what steps had to be taken. We managed to pull it off and get some into the market.
That in itself was an achievement that required a lot of time and attention from Michael, Eric, Peter, lawyers, Kelly, Lisa, the Taiwan maker and Taiwan distributors and me.

sal
I sure as heck would buy one. Thanks for making it, even if I can't get one in the good ol' USA. Hope the lawyers let you sell it here someday

Sent you PM where you can buy it.

^added my 2c as well via PM

I remember when the limited numbers hit production and went for sale years and years ago. I've been following the Jani-song saga since that time.

Same here, I've been looking like crazy for the initial version but couldn't score one, so I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to finally being able to buy the Taiwan made Spyderco JaniSong. On the other hand I totally feel for you guys in the States, laws should empower citizens not infringe on their liberty.

Last edited:
I'm gonna get one just not sure how yet but I don't see it being that hard to get one in the states. I've contacted a few people outside of the U.S. To see if they can get them and they can its just a matter of money on my part.

Not sure why RamZar posted that. I already knew this, hence my posting.

I own a Blackhawk Janisong and it is a solid little knife. No issues with it and it is certainly well made.

Back