Jantz Brush on Polishing Compounds

Hello everyone,
New to the forum, if I have this question posted in the wrong place I apologize (please direct me to the correct place). Has anyone had any experience with the brush on polishing compounds from Jantz? I currently use some of the greasless compounds but I'm considering switching, mainly because the brush on stuff seems like it would create less mess and wasted product. If anyone has any advice regarding this stuff or knows where I can find more information it would be greatly appreciated. I did some pretty heavy searching on the BladeForum because the folks at Jantz told me that it would probably be the best place to find people with experience using their product but I didn't find much. Could be my searching skills are somewhat limited :) Again any help/info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Joe S.

I used it for years. It worked well until something changed in the formula about 10 years ago. Then I switched to greaseless.
The brush-on creates a lot of dust while you are "setting" the wheel after it dries. You apply it, let it dry for a day, then break up the surface with a piece of metal. It's messier than the greaseless and just as wasteful.

I tried it once and HATED it! I only use Brownells polish O ray 350 and 500 grit. If I had to pick one it would be 500 grit. Really hard to get it shipped in summer months it doesn't like warm weather at all.

Thank you all very much for your responses, they are very appreciated.
Bill, you commented "It's messier than the greaseless and just as wasteful." did you mean from a dust perspective from grinding or "break up the surface with a piece of metal." or were you including the application to the wheel as well? I have a very heavy duty dust removal system so the mess that is causing me problems is in the application to the wheel, I sling this stuff all over the place and every time I apply compound I have a big mess as well as a bunch of wasted product. My dust removal system can handle as much dust as I can produce and even though I've built several different types of setups to catch the Polish O Ray (POR) I still manage to make a monster mess :) You also mentioned that there was a formulation change, I'm assuming that was the main reason for you switching to a different compound? If you don't mind me asking which products did you switch to (Jantz/Brownell)? An added note, I'm mostly using this stuff to polish guns prior to hot bluing but my father in law is considering having me do some polishing on some knives that he makes. Thanks again for your help. Have a great day, Joe S.

I switched to Jantz greaseless compounds.
The brush on gets nasty both when breaking up the surface and when using it.
Try this: start your wheel, then tyrn it off. Apply the greaseless polish while the wheel is slowing down. You will have to do it a few times. It's still messy, but trying to apply it to a fast-moving wheel is an exercise in futility.

Bill, HSC/// and LCoop,

Thank you all very much for your responses/help. I am going to give Bill's application method a try. I like the grease less polishes if I can figure out a way to load the wheels without having to get hosed down every time. I've also looked at some variable speed controllers but it is difficult to justify the cost unless I can find any other advantages to slowing the wheels down. If you know of any advantages to slowing a polishing wheel below 1800 rpm and wouldn't mind sharing please let me know. Thanks again, Joe.

Back