Japanese Eye Candy

NihontoEd

Gold Member
Wanted to post some photos for the Japanese sword enthusiasts here. Just returned from the largest and most prestigious Japanese sword show in the world, the Dai Token Ichi (DTI). It is a 2-day event held in Tokyo at teh Tokyo Art Club.

Attachments

• DTI Entry Sign.jpg
    DTI Entry Sign.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DTI Armor 2.jpg
    DTI Armor 2.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DTI Crowds 1.jpg
    DTI Crowds 1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DTI Swords 2.jpg
    DTI Swords 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DTI Swords 1.jpg
    DTI Swords 1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DTI Menuki Hawks Masatsune.jpg
    DTI Menuki Hawks Masatsune.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 35
  • DTI Tsuba Yagyu 2.jpg
    DTI Tsuba Yagyu 2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DTI Fittings 1.jpg
    DTI Fittings 1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for posting so clue us in, what makes that pair of menuki worth 33K and that pretty crude (to my unknowledgeable eye) tsuba worth almost 6K?

Numerous variables determine value; maker, age, rarity, material, quality of craftsmanship, raking of maker/work determined by the Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon Kai (NBTHK), etc.

Those hawk menuki are solid gold and made by a very famous maker from a famous school Ishiguro Masatsune. They are Juyo rated menuki, if I remember correctly.

The tsuba you mention is from a famous sword school, Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. The Yagyu school was founded by Yagyu Munetoshi c. 1527-1606. These various tsuba designs were developed by Yagyu Toshikane c. 1625-1694. They were cherished by the Samurai for their simple rustic charm. Their desirability remains high today, here is another Yagyu with a design of bamboo.

Yagyu Bamboo.jpeg

Thanks I appreciate the insights! How does one tell who has produced a particular tsuba? Are they also signed?

Many are signed, many are not. Years of study produce an eye for particular schools. The bamboo tsuba above is a prime example, not signed yet it screams Yagyu.

Were you able to get any closeups of the swords? Still loving the Shigekuni Yondai Wakizashi I got from you a few years ago!!

Not too many closer shots. There were so many people that it was hard to get closer long enough for photos. Saw some great swords at the Tokyo National Museum. Took some photos, but they did not come out great as they were behind glass. Swords like the Howling Fox, O-Kanehira, etc.

Glad to hear you still have the Monju Shigekuni. It is a nice sword.

Back