Japanese Kitchen Knives - Trying to identify make/model/use

Something like 95% of Japanese cooking knives are shipped in boxes that say nothing about the knife that's in it.
What's in it is usually found on a white seal on one of the ends. In the case of your HD VG10 Damascus 180mm Gyuto
however, Hattori's name is on the lower left bottom of the box.
Everything written on the box from the top says;
Tezukuri 手造 - Hand Made
O houchou - 御包丁 - Cooking knife (with unnecessary honorific)
And at the bottom left ; 関住維知郎作 -Seki Juu Ichirou Saku (Made by Ichiro residing in Seki)
This of course refers to Ichiro Hattori and is one of his trademarks.
The same Kanji are engraved into the right side of the blade of your knife.

http://hattoricollector.com/

Last edited:
Something like 95% of Japanese cooking knives are shipped in boxes that say nothing about the knife that's in it.
What's in it is usually found on a white seal on one of the ends. In the case of your HD VG10 Damascus 180mm Gyuto
however, Hattori's name is on the lower left bottom of the box.
Everything written on the box from the top says;
Tezukuri 手造 - Hand Made
O houchou - 御包丁 - Cooking knife (with unnecessary honorific)
And at the bottom left ; 関住維知郎作 -Seki Juu Ichirou Saku (Made by Ichiro residing in Seki)
This of course refers to Ichiro Hattori and is one of his trademarks.
The same Kanji are engraved into the right side of the blade of your knife.

http://hattoricollector.com/
Wow - all that info in so few characters! Interesting. Thanks for the lesson! I have a bunch of boxes (that I am now suspicious of with regard to info...), so I have much to learn.

Generally speaking, stiff boning knives are better suited to deboning red meat, whereas flexible boning knives work better on fish. In Japan, a triangular boning knife called honesuki is used for deboning chicken and red meat. I have a DALSTRONG steak knife set from https://kniferesource.com/best-japanese-steak-knives/. It is a set that consists of four blades—the design and craftsmanship are coupled with the best materials and are worth every penny. I am delighted with my set and use it to cut steaks.

Last edited:
Utility knives measuring 6 - 7 inches are called petit gyuto. ... Generally, stiff boning knives are better suited to boning red meats, whereas flexible boning knives may be used to fillet fish. In Japan, a triangular boning knife called a honesuki is used for boning chicken and red meats.Traditional Japanese knives are characterized by its single-bevel blade, a sharpened edge on one side of the blade surface and the other side completely straight. ... Western knives, on the other hand, are double-beveled. Most double-beveled blades have a V-shaped blade edge.

I'm afraid you've posted quite a number of errors.

-Utility knives measuring 6 - 7 inches are called petit gyuto. ...

They are called Petty Knives in both English and Japanese. The blade length normally ranges from 120mm/4.72in to 150mm/5.9in, although there are a couple of models that go to 180mm/7.08. They are differentiated from Gyutos not just by their blade length but their lower blade height. They are never called "petite gyuto".

-Generally, stiff boning knives are better suited to boning red meats, whereas flexible boning knives may be used to fillet fish.

There are no flexible Japanese knives at all, boning or otherwise. Fish are filleted with a Deba, which is not flexible.

-In Japan, a triangular boning knife called a honesuki is used for boning chicken and red meats.

A Honesuki, made for chicken, and it's larger version the Garasuki are dedicated knives used only by professionals.

-Traditional Japanese knives are characterized by its single-bevel blade, a sharpened edge on one side of the blade surface and the other side completely straight. ...

The flat side of a traditional single bevel Japanese knife is not completely straight. It is called the Urasaki (or Ura) and is actually concave. It is not a perfect chisel grind. Therefore actually require sharpening on both sides.

-Western knives, on the other hand, are double-beveled. Most double-beveled blades have a V-shaped blade edge.

99% of Gyutos (chef knives) are double bevel. But there do exist single bevel Gyutos.
Nakiris are traditional Japanese vegetable knives and all double beveled. When they are single beveled they are called Usuba.

Back