Jared Damascus Bowie: More Information, Please?

wlwhittier

Platinum Member
This belongs to an old friend, who only vaguely recalls where or when he acquired it. Obviously a high quality piece of work, along with a remarkable sheath, the only mark is the script signature on the right-hand ricasso (pic 3).
The knife is 10 1/2" overall; the blade is 5 7/8" long, 1' deep, ~1/4" thick. In the area where a Hamon would be, there is what I believe is extremely fine Damascus work, which has eluded my meager photography skills. The brass guard is also possessed of somewhat similar treatment, the likes of which I have never encountered (pics 3, 4 & 5). Behind the guard, between two black spacers, is a ~1/2" of horn, followed by ~3" of antler; all finished by a well matched metal butt-cap. The knife weighs ~10 ounces.
I offered to consult this forum for him in hopes of learning what I could about this beautiful knife. All your comments, observations an' suggestions will be very welcome, an' gratefully acknowledged...Thanks for lookin'! Warren

P1400529.jpegP1400533.jpegP1400539.jpegP1400541.jpegP1400542.jpegP1400540.jpegP1400535.jpegP1400543.jpegP1400532.jpegP1400531.jpeg

Very pretty.... That guard is Moku-Ti or something like that....... I believe or that other no ferrous metal combo they heat to different colors......

The blade,we need a better picture..... That could be heat treatment results or a laminated blade maybe...
Better pic please....

Nice.leather work too......... All around great package.....

Hope you get the info you are looking for..

The guard appears to be mokume-gani. Given the shape and thickness of the blade, as well as the grind style and the use of sheep horn as a spacer, I’d say they were proponents of Ed Fowler’s designs. The blade appears to have been heat treated with a torch, and quenched multiple times, which is why there’s that ‘watered’ look at the plunge. Again, a Fowler technique. You might even consider sending Mr. Fowler an email and seeing if he taught or knows of a ‘Jarod’ that worked in his style.

Y'know...if I had his email, or other contact info, I would do just that...Thanks!

You get any satisfactory answers to your questions?????

I'd like to know about that blade now too......beyond what me eyes have told me!!!

You get any satisfactory answers to your questions?
Well, for one thing, the owner recalls buying it from a (the?) website of the maker! Paid whatever retail was asked, apparently. But he is vague about when all that occurred.
I think I have that right...I'll see him in the next week or so, an' dig a bit deeper into his alleged memory!

Back