Jason Knight Khukuri Reviews and Competition

Yeah it's not looking great. The fact that the original video is now taken down makes me think at least there's an answer of some form out there now though. I'm getting in touch with the organiser and if he hasn't got an answer will try to contact Jason.
Take care,
Andrew

The organiser has sent me through some photos of recent correspondence with Jason. While he doesn't know about why the original video was removed (potentially due to jason wanting to focus his channel down) he has exchanged multiple messages with Jason recently, with the earliest less than a fortnight ago.
From those screenshots I'd say that this is still definitely happening and it's just a matter of patience. Jason is doing this alongside a lot of other work commitments and projects and not seeing a dollar from it so it makes sense that it's on the backburner.
As soon as there's an update I'll let you all know through here.
Take care,
Andrew

Thank you so much for checking the status on this competition, all of this just seems so weird, straight up from the beginning. I think its been a matter of patience for a very long time. So many flaws along the road. Dont get me wrong, I hope and think Kailash and also Neem will do great. My vote would be on you. :thumbsup: But Jason have not handled this nice. If you have your hands full, say that and you are sorry, everyone will understand. Also from the organisers side, why cant they communicate clearly?

I wont stop following this, for all the makers doing their best in this. But the competition have lost almost all credibility and I view this as a example of how NOT to do things. :confused:

I just dont have that much sympathy and understanding for him or the organisers because they are responsible for nothing happening and failure in communication.

Last edited:
We have a winner!

Here's the winner video announcement.

The winner is a blade from Barun Baraili of Khotang Khukuri Handicraft.

He's a smaller player in the khukuri game and is a great example of a smith striking out on his own and producing excellent work away from houses.

When Kailash first started he worked for us but his feet grew itchy and was looking to work for himself and start his own factory. Bisnu helped him transition into this role by loaning him materials, helping answer emails and order enquiries and hooking him up with some of our customers.

For the last few years he's been running khotang, while working closely with Australian designer Daniel Murray Lake on modern designs as well as an online webstore. He's also been working with Timothy McLaughlin through his store Dragonfly Khukuri and Knives to have some models stocked there and work on connections in the US.

A big congratulations to him and we hope it helps expand his profile internationally.

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash.

That's very gracious of you. I feel bad for the competitors, not much useful feedback there at all, that's a shame

We waited almost 2 years for that? What a shame. Thats really a review telling us just about nothing. He doesn't seem to care. I dont even think I have to point out everything that is missing. :thumbsdown:

I found it a bit disappointing too. I was hoping for a bit more feedback for everyone involved. Who knows, maybe there'll be another video or text post in future detailing it further?
For the timebeing I'm glad for the community and organisers that something has precipitated. It's also a very positive thing for Barun regardless and we'll be working to ensure that it doesn't go unnoticed.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Everyone that has contact with him should ask for a review, a proper one. The way things are now, can only lead to speculation on how things have been conducted. If he believes in and stand behind the winner, he should do that. Or as I wrote in my earlier comment, he just doesn't seem to care. 😟

There were several problems with this whole endeavor. It starts with doing a test on kukri blades that are not of the same type. It’s like saying we are going to test a knife and then using blades blades ranging from pocket knives to machetes and trying to draw a conclusion.

Obviously this should have been done by”kukri people” and more specifically to this test, “traditional” kukri people. Then it should have included more makers and lastly and probably more obviously, for continuity the same model should have been used.

Some of the things we all would have liked to know about all blades tested in the review are; build quality, fit and finish, edge retention, edge and bevel quality, balance and feel, and effectiveness at the task. Pics of the well used blades and edges would have been nice…

Even with someone as talented as Jason, just saying “I” like this one best isn’t a review. Especially for rabid kukri fanatics that frequently “debate” over all aspects of construction down to the gram of weight or mm of length.

Overall grade: 👎

For the records, the winner was chosen by him in May, 2020 (see previous post in this thread). Its now October 2021. What seems to have been happening since then is zero. Not even a close up of details of the blade or craftsmanship in the video. And even less of the scabbard. Sure more information could be obtained from the winner and other participants but the lack of information from Jason about almost everything is most unusual. If more information and details are given I think everyone would be happier. Like a summary on the objectives of the competition, the rules and criteria for instance?

My review of his review: A person with skill given the task of judging something he has no knowledge about, the video says it all. And also the first video that was removed. Conclusions are impossible to draw since all critical aspects are left out. 2 years for that result is embarrassing. He should send the kukris back to people that has some appreciation for them.

I didn't pay much attention to the test especially since it went pretty much no where. However in the past few months I've purchased a Tora blades kukuri and sold it after a month or so simply because the handle just wasn't comfortable in my big ass hands. I also purchased the Americana series from Dragon Fly and for me that works much better due to the handle design and you get a pretty nice hunter model knife with the kukuri. I will also state the sharpness for both was excellent and I mean hair shaving sharp to say the least. The scabbards/sheaths are first rate too.

I own several kukuri's both from the above mentioned, HI, and Ex Gurka House. Probably the least used are the HI's just because they are so heavy in the hand and not nearly as nimble as the above mentioned. The EGH, of which I own 2 are excellent also with great attention to detail. Sheaths could be a bit better but the kukuri's themselves are very good in design, sharpness and function. So there you go. My 2 cents. stay safe

Back