javaknives.com - khukuri

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I know I'm posting stuff "from the competition", so if Uncle needs to delete it - that's fine.

Otherwise check this out:

tk_10.jpg

It's on this website: http://www.javaknives.com

They have a nice selection of blades and I thought this one was semi-interesting.

Any comments?

440C? Isn't that a stainless steel? :yawn: I like the no slip handle idea though.

I'll take 2 BAS instead. :)

A stainless steel khukri seems about as natural as a jackalope:barf:
but the handles are quite nice.
Sarge

They are not bad looking khukuris but as most of my customer say, "if it don't rust I don't want it." The edge also looks very worrisome to me.

They look pretty, and have a cho!

But,... as has been noted-

looks like concave grind

After seeing how brittle the stainless in my "quality" kitchen knives is, I'd be scared of snapping one if I did some of the stuff I do with Uncle's product. Not exactly inexpensive either.

No mention of forging.
All fabricated by stock removal?
Heat treatment not described.

I think I'd rather get the stuff from Valiant...
considerably less $ and people seem to find them quite tough.

Hmmmmmmm..........

Nobody has said anything about the engraving on the lower one. That's what I was interested in talking about....(oops!)

Anyway, I like the engraving - it's pretty neat.

....and on the subject of "Engraving", Pen, I would not assume that these were engraved. I have seen similar stainless pressed designs, even imitating pitted or patterm weld patterns, but they are done by compressing a blade blank between the rollers/plates which hold the pattern. They allow detailed designs to be easily replicated on blade after blade. So no two are the different!

The sub hilt on the top one looks a bit outta place, I know that would hamper my cutting style.

Thanks fer sharin!

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Go here for a few shop pics: http://www.javaknives.com/workshop/

They say the knives are handmade by about 40 employees in Indonesia.

There is definitely a set pattern for the engraving - you can see a feline of some sort walking over hills with birds(?) trailing behind.

It's not a user - for sure. Just wondering how the engraving was done. It's only $15 to add it, so it's probably not hand-carved.

(Saw the link on another thread and decided to bring it over here)

Yes, the engraving is pretty--If that's the real attraction, why not have metal sheet engraved,frame with the beautiful handle material, and hang it on the wall where this knife would end up anyway?

To me, if the knife underneath ain't got the guts to go with the design, it's sorta like putting frosting with piped decorations on a brick....Maybe I'd feel differently if I had "extra" money and lots of wall space!:D

Always intersting to see what else is out there though!

to be perfectly honest...this is the type of carving that I'm interested in:
attachment.php

the horn handled one cost 204.00 unless I misread it. for a bas sized Khukuri.

perhaps tempered from the juices of virgins

munk

Two hundred and four bux? I'd rather buy a BAS and put a few stickers on the side of the blade.

:) a khukuri with an "Intel inside" sticker would be mildly amusing.

a khukuri with an "Intel inside" sticker would be mildly amusing
A khukuri with a "Designed for Microsoft Windows 98" sticker would more nearly reflect a use for the khukuri which I have been tempted to make on numerous occasions! ;)

That's what the Super Salyans reportedly were designed for. To be hung suspended from the ceiling on 3 lb. test line over the computer like the sword of Damocles. In an active earthquake zone yet!

Heeheeh! How about a sticker for the military user, like

"Not a Step"

or

"This end towards enemy" --->

Classic!

Keith

En Ferro Veritas

:D I hear you. Those PCs in my would have depreciated a lot faster if i carried my khukuries at work....

Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by Berkley
A khukuri with a "Designed for Microsoft Windows 98" sticker would more nearly reflect a use for the khukuri which I have been tempted to make on numerous occasions! ;)

Back