Jeff Foxworthy visited his grandmother, Initiate a bowl of awesome

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ideas for the future, prompted by requests.

If you baton kindling next to your wood stove with an XL Voyager, you might be a redneck.

11 1/2" blade, 17 3/4" overall. 3/16" stock. No name yet, though "Barkukri" was suggested, since it is a hybrid of the bird's beak barong style handle, with the khukuri blade shape. Not necessarily feeling that name, but the design suggestion was brilliant, and this is what I came up with.

Barong-Khukuri-profile.jpg

Barong-Khukuri.jpg

11 1/2" blade, 17 3/4" overall. 3/16" stock. No name yet, though "Barkukri" was suggested, since it is a hybrid of the bird's beak barong style handle, with the khukuri blade shape. Not necessarily feeling that name, but the design suggestion was brilliant, and this is what I came up with.

Barong-Khukuri-profile.jpg

Barong-Khukuri.jpg
Looks like an exceptionally good design,
Few name suggestions:
Mary’s Bolow
David’s Bolo
Thicket Thin
Weight Ahead

Request for a Modern Tactical Sting. 19" blade, 26" overall. 1/8" stock so it's manageable for fast cuts with its over 2" wide blade. Design as it looks so far. Though seeing the CAD file extruded I am starting to think maybe 5/32, or even 3/16"........ activate mulling mode
Modern-Tactical-Sting.jpg

Modern-Tactical-Sting-Extrude.jpg

Request for a Modern Tactical Sting. 19" blade, 26" overall. 1/8" stock so it's manageable for fast cuts with its over 2" wide blade. Design as it looks so far. Though seeing the CAD file extruded I am starting to think maybe 5/32, or even 3/16"........ activate mulling mode
Modern-Tactical-Sting.jpg

Modern-Tactical-Sting-Extrude.jpg
How do you make that design without a metal pommel of some sort

How do you make that design without a metal pommel of some sort

The pommel is oversized compared to the original piece from which this one has drawn its inspiration. The scales will be a lighter material like wood or micarta using the first four pin holes, and something heavier like G10, or more likely Suretouch on the pommel. It will also swell at the pommel so that the handle is thinner and the pommel is a bit more globe like. This will act to create the balance characteristics of a smaller metal pommel, while also making for a more mechanically secure grip on the handle.

KhuRong….

Yes I like this, I had a similar thought of Khukrong. The one part I'm not sure about yet is the similarity to the word "wrong" in there by using this formulation. But it might not be a big deal.

Based on customer input this one is looking to be beefed up to .188" aka 3/16" and I am proposing a handle consisting of a carbon fiber guard segment, Suretouch handle segment, and G10 pommel segment, with extra pinholes to secure the heavy G10 piece.

Also, that design will probably get pommel revisions similar to the Sting if I do end up making it, to accommodate for my lack of working with metal handle fittings.

I wish I had an excuse to own more than one sword. In any event, by the time I get around to needing it, I'll be too old and frail to wield it. 👴⚔️

That’s what rapiers are for. ;)

Another idea for a Western European inspired short sword. 24" blade, 30" overall. This is just something I would like to do. I may or may not.

Western-European-Inspired-24-inch.png
You know, another 5-6" on the blade and you could make a proper Viking age sword. Single edge for me, please.

Going forward, and for an indefinite period, I will be encouraging customers to hire someone who specializes in sheaths or scabbard for big blades if they need one, as my swords and blades over 16" will be made and sold without a sheath or scabbard.

Going forward, and for an indefinite period, I will be encouraging customers to hire someone who specializes in sheaths or scabbard for big blades if they need one, as my swords and blades over 16" will be made and sold without a sheath or scabbard.
So my Barax with ~15 inch blade is good to go still?

Yes, I see where it says 16 or greater, but I want to be sure.

Last edited:
Back