Jetboil Mighty Mo - First Impressions & Testing

I've been using a Jetboil Zip for backpacking and short day hikes for over a year now, but it has one major flaw. It does not have simmer control. My alternative at the time was the Mini Mo, which was slightly overkill for my needs. Then Jetboil introduced the Micro Mo, which was not exactly what I was looking for. While the Micro Mo and Mini Mo both have simmer control, neither are designed to be used with anything other than Jetboil accessories, unless you use a pot stand. I do have a Jetboil pot stand for my Zip, but it doesn't help when the Zip is balls to the wall flaming hot death all the time. Granted, the Zip and Flash were designed to quickly heat water, not cook delicious meals.

Enter the Mighty Mo.

The Jetboil Might Mo is the first standalone Jetboil stove, and it just so happens to have a regulator for simmer control :hurra:

Note: I believe that REI is the only outlet that offers the Mighty Mo. I'm unsure if it is an exclusive or not, but I went ahead and paid the $50 for the stove itself.

After receiving my Mighty Mo, I was pleased at the packaging, which wasn't the typical plastic clamshell. Rather, it was a nice triangular shaped box with a display window and nice graphics and annotation all around. Inside the box was the stove itself, a carrying bag, and a Jetboil fuel stand.

32310956866_533b64df58_c.jpg

32310957016_dc7bf70bb8_c.jpg

I was not able to actually test the stove out until yesterday, but I did take some photos of the minimum fuel setting and maximum fuel setting.

My buddy and I tested this stove out with a GSI stainless steel cup, since my Snow Peak 450 does NOT fit on top of the burner. 600 mL and larger diameter will fit, but the 400 mL size cups will not. Total time to boil (rolling hard boil) with 600 mL of water was exactly 3:00 minutes. We tested the stove against an Amazon favorite budget stove, and the Mighty Mo blew it out of the water (as expected). We had high hopes for the Amazon stove, but it proved difficult to light, even with the included igniter. Fuel consumption was also an issue for the Amazon stove.

32230253371_3b6ffbe70e_c.jpg

Here is the Amazon Etekcity Stove (around $10). The boil time for the Etekcity stove was nearly 5 minutes, and took a while to actually heat up the titanium 600 mL TOAKS cup. I think it would have been more fair to use the same cups, but time was limited and the inconsistency of the Etekcity stove was rather frustrating.

Etekcity-Ultralight-Portable-Backpack-Camping-Stove.jpg

All in all, the Jetboil Mighty Mo will easily replace my Zip, and has shaved off nearly a 1/2 pound in weight.

Thanks for the review! I have two Flashes and a Mini-Mo which are all great stoves. Also, have a few of the cheapo ones from Amazon that I haven't used. As you mentioned the cheap ones are you pay for what you get. My buddy used one on a backpacking trip over the summer and it took him 3-4x longer to get his water to boil compared to the Flash. That was until I forgot my pot holder and decided to rest my pan on the Flash, while cooking a rainbow trout and the heat reflected down and melted the ignition switch and plastic. It still works except the Flash's ignition switch is toast, which is why I went and bought the Mini-Mo and just picked up a new Flash from the REI garage sale. Both the Flash and Mini-Mo are adjustable and work great.

I'd be curious to see a comparison on fuel efficiency and boiling times between the Mighty Mo, Mini-Mo, and Flash. I'm wondering if by not having the burner enclosed that the Mighty Mo might lose some heat and burn more fuel, than the Mini-Mo and Flash. I agree that the adjustability of the burner is a must when cooking versus just boiling water. I'm just wondering if it does burn more fuel and we need to carry a spare canister that it really won't save us that much weight.

I appreciate the insight and I might just have to try one out.

Thanks for the review! I have two Flashes and a Mini-Mo which are all great stoves. Also, have a few of the cheapo ones from Amazon that I haven't used. As you mentioned the cheap ones are you pay for what you get. My buddy used one on a backpacking trip over the summer and it took him 3-4x longer to get his water to boil compared to the Flash. That was until I forgot my pot holder and decided to rest my pan on the Flash, while cooking a rainbow trout and the heat reflected down and melted the ignition switch and plastic. It still works except the Flash's ignition switch is toast, which is why I went and bought the Mini-Mo and just picked up a new Flash from the REI garage sale. Both the Flash and Mini-Mo are adjustable and work great.

I'd be curious to see a comparison on fuel efficiency and boiling times between the Mighty Mo, Mini-Mo, and Flash. I'm wondering if by not having the burner enclosed that the Mighty Mo might lose some heat and burn more fuel, than the Mini-Mo and Flash. I agree that the adjustability of the burner is a must when cooking versus just boiling water. I'm just wondering if it does burn more fuel and we need to carry a spare canister that it really won't save us that much weight.

I appreciate the insight and I might just have to try one out.

I thought it was very interesting that the Mighty Mo specifies that the stove will burn for 75 minutes on high to empty a 100 gram fuel canister.

I thought it was very interesting that the Mighty Mo specifies that the stove will burn for 75 minutes on high to empty a 100 gram fuel canister.

Wow, that's pretty good. Keep us posted with your testing and usage. That'll last 8 days if you use it to boil three times per day. I don't recall how long my canisters last, but I believe they only last 4-5 days.

I have a generic stove that focused the heat up
For about $10

It canbe purchased from good companies like Maple Fire or generic
It is a very hot flame that works very well for cooking in cup savers
sku_92153_1.jpg

Last edited:
Love my old Jet Boil. Looks like the Mighty Mo is my next stove based on your review, although I don't really care about the packaging.

On my last backpacking trip I finally summoned the courage to go with only my Amazon cheapy (I paid less that 6 bucks shipped a few years back). I had seen a few fellow trail workers (Washington Trails Association) go with only this stove so I decided to try it. I used it mostly boiling water but also for some pan cooking. It did fine and a canister lasted 3 days with fuel to spare. For longer hikes I bring a white gas stove. And in a pinch I'm happy cooking on a 3 stone fire.

Dave, thanks for the review! I am getting my gear together and have been looking at Jetboil. This Mighty Mo looks like it would be great for the trails

Back