JGON's Drop Leg Rig for ESEE-4

Hi All,

I posted a thread here where I outline a drop leg MOLLE platform that held my ESEE 4 as well as an M-16 mag pouch. I am trying to find a good drop leg system so my heavy clothing or pack waist belt won't impede on my knife when it's on my belt. It needs to ride a little lower.

There was a pocket in the middle that could hold other gear/documents, and while it was versatile, after using for some time I find it to be a bit clumsy and restricting. I am ditching it for a new idea, and I'm still working out the kinks. This is where you come in...

Here is the original drop leg system.

CIMG0812-1.jpg

Like I said, a bit big. It was also restricting, and clumsy as well. No matter how I wore it, it always seemed to pull down on my belt. After several outings, I decided to go with something different.

I secured the same M-16 mag pouch to my ESEE-4 sheath with some 550 paracord. Then I simply attached the top belt loop of my sheath to a carabiner, which then goes around my belt. It lowers the sheath enough to do the trick, although I need to take it through a full overnight to see for sure. Then I simply put one piece of paracord around my leg, through the two bottom holes of the sheath, and secured it with a cord lock which I can adjust tension on then.

It's not a perfect system, but it is much lighter and doesn't swing at all. It stays securely on my leg, and is much less restrictive than the MOLLE platform.

I would like to upgrade the metal carabiner for something more designed to ride on a belt and attach gear to, but I'm not sure what. It would also be nice to be able to adjust the length of the sheath up or down from the belt attachment. Then also, I would maybe be interested in finding a method of securing some adjustable nylon webbing to the bottom instead of paracord.

Take a look at the pictures. Anyone got any ideas? So far, as is, it will do the trick, but it's ugly.

Thanks for looking...

JGON

CIMG0862.jpg

CIMG0856.jpg

CIMG0849.jpg

CIMG0848.jpg

CIMG0841.jpg

CIMG0839.jpg

CIMG0838.jpg

CIMG0836.jpg

Glad you posted this, At one time I considered using the leg platform but opted not to because I believed it would be a bit to cumbersome as you stated. I ended up just using the Molle Back and 5/6 Pouch. I only use the pouch for last resort survival items for in the event my pack may go floating down a river. I to have thought about dropping it a bit lower as to clear the waist belt on my pack, my thought would be to simply add a loop of nylon webbing to the plastic loop on the Molle Back. I have the nylon webbing and figured I could sew it to make a permanent loop, but I am thinking about taking it to an alteration shop to get it done right.

Since I am still waiting for my 5/6 pouch to arrive I havent ordered the molle plate yet to try out some stuff and configurations...

Thinking about how "tacticool" it might look for most of the sheeples around me, and since we got far more rigid weapon laws than you guys its even more of a concern, I ordered some velcro staps in the size of this upper attachement of the molle back. I haven't worked out the details yet but with the help of this you can adjust how low it rides and it can simply be removed just in case you wanna carry it higher with the factory velcro. Basically its just a loop of strong velcro that can easily be adjusted. Maybe I will have someone working on some extras cause I'm no pro @ the sewing machine ;)

I have the leather sheath from KSF for my 3. I took a Maglite belt holder and cut the plastic ring off so I had just the leather part that goes on your belt. Then I went to the hardware store and picked up pin with locking loop (ya, I forgot the real name) and slid the pin in the loop from the flashlight holder and the locking part through the sheath loop.

I'll try to remember to take a couple of pics later tonight when I'm home and post them.

I myself am looking for a drop leg system for my 6 w/ molle back pouch combo.

I came across this drop leg extender when i'm done with my project i'll post pics
3193C49MS8L._AA300_.jpg

JGON, I do those kinda rigs all the time. I buy 5.11 or Maxped. pistol mag pouches and paraC them onto the front. It's just big enough to hold a firesteel and a sharpening stone. I found bigger pouches a pita. I considered the drop-leg deal but didn't want the whole thing hindering my movement.
Seat belts salvaged from wrecked cars make good drop-leg straps I read, so I'm seeking those out.

Much more compact. I had been thinking about using a drop loop on my Lost Mountain pack kit. The last time I got in to the project I ended up going with a paracord sling instead because it was a way to carry an extra 35 feet of paracord.

I usually have a drop leg holster on when I am carrying a bag. I have been trying to figure out a good way to carry a larger knife. My OTV usually doesn't have room due to having mag pouches and what not on it so my knife rides on the outside of the pack I am carrying. I don't like it riding there and am trying to come up with a way to carry on my person. I have thought about using a drop leg system on the left leg for the knife. Let us know what you come up with or I will post up what I get around to finding out.

mlrs

Would this work for attaching the top of the sheath to the belt to drop it a bit?

DropLegExtender.jpg

I'm not 100% sure how it would attach, I guess. Dirty Paulie, it looks like you got something similar going on. Let us know what you come up with!

JGON

That might work. I have a couple of extra ones laying around I just haven't had the time to mess with them yet. I might be able to do it next week some time. I will let you know how it goes.

mlrs

U connect the quick clips with an extention strap... Or seatbelt. IMO it's gonna tug on your pants just as much unless u losen up the lower leg strap or get the V upper strap that helps dispurse the weight on 2 straps. I'll look for a pic

I've seen similar set ups where a D ring or o ring is used at the top of the sheath to connect 2 single extensions to make it

1225177283_0.jpg

This is what I came up with. Made out of about 6 inches of nylon webbing. Made a 2 inch loop sewed the over lapping layers together with heavy nylon thread, and triple stitched across the top.

esee4dropleg1.jpg

This is what I came up with. Made out of about 6 inches of nylon webbing. Made a 2 inch loop sewed the over lapping layers together with heavy nylon thread, and triple stitched across the top.

esee4dropleg1.jpg

Good work, looks just like a factory solution ;)

Do you secure the system with paracord at your leg? Wondering how much the sheath is moving when you're out there walking around :)

Good work, looks just like a factory solution ;)

Do you secure the system with paracord at your leg? Wondering how much the sheath is moving when you're out there walking around :)

Just put this together, my first thought was to use some cord to hold the bottom to my leg but it doesnt really seem to move around a ton. Will have to play around with it some but I will likely end up with some cord on the bottom.

I like the looks of that. Let us know if it does ok without being secured to the leg.

mlrs

Hello,
I would like to contribute my version of the drop leg extender for my ESEE-6. It is made of a piece of blue webbing from a house market. The velcro straps are glued with Pattex and seem to fix it very strong. With velcro straps I can the sheath easily put on or off.

IMGP6996.jpg

IMGP6997.jpg

IMGP6999.jpg

IMGP6998.jpg

Greetings from Austria

Wolfgang

Nice looking set up. Here is one (Drop Leg Mag Carrier) that allows for carry of 3 M4 mags, 2 AK/M14, and 3 pistol mags. It also has a pocket for a flashlight/multi-tool or other tools. Behind the main mag pouch is a separate sleeve that allows you to carry a fixed blade knife with it's sheath! You could also use the M4 mag pouch as a utility pouch for survival kits and what not. It's a sweet subload set up if your out hunting.

SDLMP450.jpg

Here is another (EOD Subload) that's similar but has a longer zip up pouch that's about the size of the ESEE Pack Kit. It's has a bunch of internal pockets and elastic for storing tools and kit containers. Plus it has MOLLE on the outside and sides allowing you to mount other items. It also has the sleeve behind the pouch that's made for carrying your fixed blade with it's sheath.

LMEOD1450.jpg

I forgot to mention they're both from High Speed Gear Inc.
Just some other ideas that could work for you.:thumbup:

Back