How To Jig to drill lanyard hole in pommel

eveled

Gold Member
Hi guys. First off, thanks for reading and indulging me.

I am wondering what the “right” way is to drill a lanyard hole in an aluminum pommel.

Ideally I’d like one that can be used on multiple knives and produce reliable repeatable results.

The problem is multi faceted. The roundish and tapered shape of the handle itself. Various handle diameters. And the pommel is tapered in three directions too. Even on one model knife the pommels can vary in shape. The hole has to be straight and true. So I feel like it needs to be indexed off of the blade.

Here is one I drilled by hand. I’m happy with it but feel it is a risky endeavor.

view

This is more from the standpoint of a mental puzzle than out of an actual need to drill hundreds of lanyard holes. So again thanks for indulging me.

Last edited:
Here is the jig I use at work so I’ll probably try to use it in some way shape or form. It will need to go in the vise with the blade and be offset somehow.
439D5D21-7A30-43B2-9B20-8D625D883FA2.jpeg

Or should I be looking for a sideways vise for my drill press?

I am wondering what the “right” way is to drill a lanyard hole in an aluminum pommel.

Ideally I’d like one that can be used on multiple knives and produce reliable repeatable results.

The problem is multi faceted. The roundish and tapered shape of the handle itself. Various handle diameters. And the pommel is tapered in three directions too. Even on one model knife the pommels can vary in shape. The hole has to be straight and true. So I feel like it needs to be indexed off of the blade.

Here is one I drilled by hand. I’m happy with it but feel it is a risky endeavor.

View attachment 1194559

This is more from the standpoint of a mental puzzle than out of an actual need to drill hundreds of lanyard holes. So again thanks for indulging me.

That's one of the best "at home" jobs I've seen on a buck fixed lanyard hole.

Thanks for the compliment. It’s a beater I don’t care about. Chuck it in a vise grab a hand drill and go for it. Came out perfectly. Go figure?

If I tried that on a good knife I’d ruin it.

Anyway it got me thinking of a jig. And now it’s become a Rubix cube type mental puzzle for me to solve.

I’m laid up this week with an injury. So I’ve got too much mental time on my hands.

Maybe I’m asking the wrong question. If a jig is not necessary.

What is correct way to mount this to a drill press table?

What is correct way to mount this to a drill press table?
Swing the table off to the side and clamp the ricasso to the table? That would index square too the blade every time:thumbsup: (assuming your table is square to the bit)

eveled, I use a separate vise that I mount on the base of my drill press. It has micro adjustments and a bubble level can be laid on the blade.
Then I drill a 1/8" pilot hole. Sometimes this is enough after removing the burr. Those aluminum pommels are soft and drill easy and chamfer easy. Good luck, DM

Thanks WV. I’ll try it.

Thanks David, I can’t clamp it in my vise like I want to without damaging the edge.

They do drill easy. Have you ever done a knife like a 124 when you have to drill through the hard tang too?

View attachment 1194559
This will work for what you want to do ...........
This will work for what you want to do ...........you need to have flat ricasso in front of handle to use this setup :thumbsup:
lqdutzQ.png

Back