1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How To Jig to drill lanyard hole in pommel

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by eveled, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:29 AM.

1. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Hi guys. First off, thanks for reading and indulging me.

I am wondering what the “right” way is to drill a lanyard hole in an aluminum pommel.

Ideally I’d like one that can be used on multiple knives and produce reliable repeatable results.

The problem is multi faceted. The roundish and tapered shape of the handle itself. Various handle diameters. And the pommel is tapered in three directions too. Even on one model knife the pommels can vary in shape. The hole has to be straight and true. So I feel like it needs to be indexed off of the blade.

Here is one I drilled by hand. I’m happy with it but feel it is a risky endeavor.

8F2A36D6-B6BF-4427-BE10-A7360810CC52.jpeg

This is more from the standpoint of a mental puzzle than out of an actual need to drill hundreds of lanyard holes. So again thanks for indulging me.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 9:06 AM
  2. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    Here is the jig I use at work so I’ll probably try to use it in some way shape or form. It will need to go in the vise with the blade and be offset somehow.
    439D5D21-7A30-43B2-9B20-8D625D883FA2.jpeg

Or should I be looking for a sideways vise for my drill press?

3. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    That's one of the best "at home" jobs I've seen on a buck fixed lanyard hole.

eveled likes this.
  4. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    Thanks for the compliment. It’s a beater I don’t care about. Chuck it in a vise grab a hand drill and go for it. Came out perfectly. Go figure?

If I tried that on a good knife I’d ruin it.

Anyway it got me thinking of a jig. And now it’s become a Rubix cube type mental puzzle for me to solve.

I’m laid up this week with an injury. So I’ve got too much mental time on my hands.

5. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    Maybe I’m asking the wrong question. If a jig is not necessary.

What is correct way to mount this to a drill press table?

6. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Swing the table off to the side and clamp the ricasso to the table? That would index square too the blade every time:thumbsup: (assuming your table is square to the bit)

eveled likes this.
  7. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    eveled, I use a separate vise that I mount on the base of my drill press. It has micro adjustments and a bubble level can be laid on the blade.
    Then I drill a 1/8" pilot hole. Sometimes this is enough after removing the burr. Those aluminum pommels are soft and drill easy and chamfer easy. Good luck, DM

eveled likes this.
  8. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    Thanks WV. I’ll try it.

Thanks David, I can’t clamp it in my vise like I want to without damaging the edge.

They do drill easy. Have you ever done a knife like a 124 when you have to drill through the hard tang too?

9. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes and it was no fun to drill through heat treated blade steel. Use a masonry bit. DM