Jim Siska Subhilt info needed....

Melvin-Purvis

Temporarily Retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've got a friend that owns a pawnshop/gunstore/collectibles business...

A pretty straight up guy in that, business dealings have gone both ways, and everyone comes out feeling good...

He's got this big 9" Siska Subhilt with pinned ivory handles, and soldered stainless hardware, the whole knife seems to be SS, probably ATS-34?...it's the recurved/tapered tang model that looks like a Walter Brend #2, the Siska that shows up on all the 'custom' knife purveyor websites...

I'm not sure if my friend owns it yet, or was just looking for a value, so I went websurfing and came up with prices on similar pieces...new resell value of $650-$950 seemed the norm, and we agreed that it was roughly a $500 knife in current 95% condition...

So, if I was to offer $350, find Jim to get it reconditioned, play with it for awhile until something new came along, and then resold it...do you think I could get my money back?

He says the original owner told him that it was originally purchased for $2500 (which I think is total BS)

Any thoughts on these knives, specifically do they sell?

It is a nice piece, just a little rough...

Thanks in advance.

Mel

Jim's knives are absolutely the greatest. Fit and finish are superb. Sharp as can be and truly a pleasure to own and handle. If you don't want this knife let me know, I may want it. I have several of Jim's knives and wouldn't mind adding another to the collection. I have seen and handled a lot of his work and from the sound of the knife you describe it was probably $900 to $1200 new. Jim is a really great guy to know and do business with.

Marcel

Meg,

That is an older knife. It would have sold for around $800 new.

$350 is a steal. Yes, you would get your money back.

Just thought I would steal this picture from The Custom Knife website. What an outstanding knife.

I was unable to transfer the picture from the site.[/B]

So here it is another way.

attachment.php

Melvin-Purvis,

I really don't think you'd get your money out of it... you'd probably lose money. So please send me your friend's name and phone number instead.

;)

That's the blade grind, and so it is ATS-34...thought so.

It's an ivory handled sub-hilt as I mentioned above, but the hilt's are SS too. Again, prolly ATS-34. Pinned, prolly SS again...looked that way, anyway...

The ivory is solid with no cracks, but the hilts are scratched, the blade is stained, and the sheath needs a little work...

Also, in agreement with Les about this being "an early knife', the hilt edges are sharp/rough, and the soldering is as well...

I still think if I pay $350, and send it back to Jim for a 'once over', my total cost may be 6 months and $500 with insured shipping...

Will I get $500 out of it, sure. But $900, NFW!

Will keep you posted, but if my 'bud' wants $500 for it it'll be a show stopper on this end, and will post seller ifo here at that time...

Thanks for the responses guys, you've all been great!

Shel...er, 'Mel' ;)

Go fer it Mel.:)

Even at 500 it would be well worth it.

I Email this thread to Jim and below is his response.

Hi George,
Thanks for the kind words on the forum, I appreciate it. The knife that they are describing on the forum would cost $1000.00 if I made it today. But I think the one they are describing was made back in 85-86 and I think it sold for $400 at the time.

George, thanks again for the information.

Jim

Thanks for the good intel, and for getting this post forwarded on to Jim too!

Purchase of this knife is very low on my list of priorities, but if I can get it for a song, or pass useful acquisition info on to others here, I will.

Thanks again guys,

Mel

Back